Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default Gun Auction this weekend

https://www.wardsauctions.com/sales/...uns/index.html
Old 12-03-2019, 05:19 PM

There are a few guns here I’d really like to bid on. How long do these auctions usually take?
Generally speaking, how much savings could a person expect compared to a private sale?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Smile 22wrf spotted

Lots of stuff up for grabs this weekend. Took awhile to scroll through the entire list.
For anyone looking, they have some 22WRF ammo listed in Lot 123: 4 full 50 round boxes of Winchester gold box.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
There are a few guns here I’d really like to bid on. How long do these auctions usually take?
Generally speaking, how much savings could a person expect compared to a private sale?
I've been to more than a few, normally last all day, been there at 7:00 PM yet depending on how many lots there are and how fast they push them through.

Sometimes you will get a deal but just remember anything you bid and get will have a 15% buyers fee plus 5 % GST added on and if you pay with a credit card add another 3%.

They are OK but I prefer to have a good look on Friday then use the online bidding that way you can skip all the stuff in between, sometimes there are 150 lots between items I want.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth for what it's worth.

Get a bidder # and get your hand in the air

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Lots of stuff up for grabs this weekend. Took awhile to scroll through the entire list.
For anyone looking, they have some 22WRF ammo listed in Lot 123: 4 full 50 round boxes of Winchester gold box.
Ha that’s on my list!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I've been to more than a few, normally last all day, been there at 7:00 PM yet depending on how many lots there are and how fast they push them through.

Sometimes you will get a deal but just remember anything you bid and get will have a 15% buyers fee plus 5 % GST added on and if you pay with a credit card add another 3%.

They are OK but I prefer to have a good look on Friday then use the online bidding that way you can skip all the stuff in between, sometimes there are 150 lots between items I want.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth for what it's worth.

Get a bidder # and get your hand in the air
Thank you for the info. So I can bid from home online? That’s the way I’d like to do it. And I was unaware of the 23% fee in top, wow.
Any idea what the anshultz or cil 310 might fetch?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 PM

I want the metal Tibetan helmet for gopher hunting. Would be awesome to wear it while knocking on doors for access permission too.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the info. So I can bid from home online? That’s the way I’d like to do it. And I was unaware of the 23% fee in top, wow.
Any idea what the anshultz or cil 310 might fetch?

I'd guess the 310 will go for between 550 and 750. Plus the 18-23% premium and gst. I've been to a couple of them. There's the odd hot deal here and there but by and large I'd say you can find better deals on buy and shell's like AO and CGN.

There tends to be two groups at these things. Collectors who know exactly what they're buying and will pay to get it, and a lot of rubes that don't really know what they're doing, pay retail equivalent or higher then probably give it a big DOH when they go to pay and get handed a 20% surcharge.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Got my eye on something
Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM

I want that .425 what a gorgeous hunk of wood but alas little out of my ball park...Plus I made the mistake of telling the wife....not so bright sometimes I am....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 PM

There is some really nice stuff in that list.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Last one I went to was couple years ago but it took pretty much all day.
Viewing of the items was available the day before as well for a brief period before the auction so you don't bid blind.
Get there before it starts, seating was limited at the venue I attended, Only standing room was available for some of the older gentlemen that had come in late.
Bringing a hunters ass pad with you wouldn't be the worst idea depending on the chair you get.

Would say know the lot numbers you are interested in, come in with a pre researched list. For every item you will bid on, its retail price, resale price, and beside that the highest amount you are willing to bid for it before the auction fee is applied. They do their best to run a smooth auction but there are a lot of items to go through. You will likely be taking breaks in between those lot numbers.

Noted that several people in the crowd took no breaks and had a full auction inventory list with them. They were recording the final sale price of EVERY item.

I managed to pick up a Stoeger M-3500 semi auto for right around $500 fees included, they aren't beautiful guns but very nice action for the money.
Also picked up an old Cooey 60 that I paid too much for, but that was purchased for parts to repair a sentimental piece for a family member.

Not sure of your previous auction experience so may be overstating the obvious. Bring your PAL/RPAL AND your Drivers license.
Don't start biding as soon as the auctioneer calls his start price you may find he drops it several times and still nobody bids.
You wouldn't be the first to get away with an item for a lowball bid if there is no other interest.

Edit: Bring an empty gun case or 2 if you will be bidding.

Hope that helps, or at least gets you excited about going
Good Luck!

Last edited by Foonus; 12-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Default I got out

Anshutz 22 with Leupold scope at $900 and still climbing
Old 12-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Anshutz 22 with Leupold scope at $900 and still climbing
From the little research I did on it, is it not the cheaper / budget version of the 2 sold in Canada at the time?
Maybe someone is hoping for a new Leupold scope due to the age of it rendering it unserviceable :P Love that warranty...
Old 12-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Been to few, never bought. A dude I was talking to during a viewing recommended bringing a lock for each gun you want if you intend to pay and take the gun right then.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foonus View Post
Last one I went to was couple years ago but it took pretty much all day.
Viewing of the items was available the day before as well for a brief period before the auction so you don't bid blind.
Get there before it starts, seating was limited at the venue I attended, Only standing room was available for some of the older gentlemen that had come in late.
Bringing a hunters ass pad with you wouldn't be the worst idea depending on the chair you get.

Would say know the lot numbers you are interested in, come in with a pre researched list. For every item you will bid on, its retail price, resale price, and beside that the highest amount you are willing to bid for it before the auction fee is applied. They do their best to run a smooth auction but there are a lot of items to go through. You will likely be taking breaks in between those lot numbers.

Noted that several people in the crowd took no breaks and had a full auction inventory list with them. They were recording the final sale price of EVERY item.

I managed to pick up a Stoeger M-3500 semi auto for right around $500 fees included, they aren't beautiful guns but very nice action for the money.
Also picked up an old Cooey 60 that I paid too much for, but that was purchased for parts to repair a sentimental piece for a family member.

Not sure of your previous auction experience so may be overstating the obvious. Bring your PAL/RPAL AND your Drivers license.
Don't start biding as soon as the auctioneer calls his start price you may find he drops it several times and still nobody bids.
You wouldn't be the first to get away with an item for a lowball bid if there is no other interest.

Edit: Bring an empty gun case or 2 if you will be bidding.

Hope that helps, or at least gets you excited about going
Good Luck!
Excellent advice. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Well I’m completely out of my element. I just registered and don’t even realize bidding was happening. I literally though you went in and bid on Saturday only.
I have a list of 20 items and I am shocked at the prices of 19 of them already. There will be no deals for me!
Best of luck fellas.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Most auctions pieces sell for near new or over new price depending on the crowd.....then add 15% ... then shipping. You have to know your stuff or be willing to drop cash for that item you just can't live without.

Not saying there are no deals to be had but they are few and far between.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Default On line is an improvement but

Remember a friend and I going to Red Deer a couple times and I didnt raise my hand once as they were over my max within 30 seconds of the bidding starting.

Young guy next to me years ago seeing my premium list and items circled asked my opinion on what he should pay for common conversion hunting rifle (think it was a parker hale 308) and I told him I would max out at around $400 because of buyers premium if it was for me. He had bid it up to over $600 before he quit.
Like anyone if I get caught up in the bidding frenzy I can pay a little too much (or a lot). I don't need or want anything bad enough to over pay. On line I have enough time to figure out how much is a reasonable price to pay for used firearms depending on condition. with buyers premium I usually stick to 55-65% of retail so if I really want it bad I am still at 70 or in the rare case of a collectible piece 80% of retail if they are currently sold in stores.
I find the maximum bid entered saves me watching so I may not even follow the auction on Saturday if I have anything I am still winning by then.
I had bids on 54 items in this auction Tuesday night. I am barely holding on to 14 of them as of today and dont hold up much hope for more than 5 by bidding time Saturday.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
There is some really nice stuff in that list.
Yup but you can bet it will fetch a premium price, last 2 gun auctions at wards I watched on line, had bids on about 25 items on the pre bid a couple days before the auction started, by the time Saturday rolled around every one of them was above what I would pay and the real bidding hadn't started yet, they had stuff that went higher than retail then tack on the 23% wow guy's get caught up in the moment

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Most auctions pieces sell for near new or over new price depending on the crowd.....then add 15% ... then shipping. You have to know your stuff or be willing to drop cash for that item you just can't live without.

Not saying there are no deals to be had but they are few and far between.
If you're shipping, I'm assuming you're bidding on-line, then the premium is 20% + 5% tax, for those not willing to spend the day in Edmonton, 25% on top of bid price.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:37 PM

This might be the last auction you can buy a semi auto at.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:41 PM

I was outbid on all items. High prices!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I was outbid on all items. High prices!
Yeah Edmonton auctions I've been to are all very pricey. They bid retail then pay the extra percentage on top. Just silly, If you want to auction a gun off, Edmonton auctions are good for that haha.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:23 PM

High auction prices mean lots of interest in firearms from people with money. Good news all round. If used prices are too high, buy new.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:55 AM

I too was surprised what some guys paid for many items. I had bids on about 10 items in case their was a bargain. The one item that I wanted, I set my max bid online and that was all I was willing to pay (approx. $100 less all in than market price). I was shocked when the item came up for live bidding, it was open for about 15 seconds, nobody bid and I got it.

I couldn't believe that someone paid $1400 ($1764) for the Browning Stainless Stalker with Nikon Monarch 3 scope. Same rifle is $1060 new on sale and scope is a $300-400 used scope New is only $500 . $1764 for a used rifle and scope when new price is only $1600. Good deal! lol
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I want that .425 what a gorgeous hunk of wood but alas little out of my ball park...Plus I made the mistake of telling the wife....not so bright sometimes I am....
The guy that bought that didn't buy the reloading stuff for it. Idk if he was stupid or not paying attention.

I grabbed a glock 34 for $450 and 3 glock mags for $50.

Some things went for reasonable prices, some not so much.

My favorite is searching the forums and calling guys out when they are reselling a gun they bought. Serial numbers match and yet you're saying you've owned the gun for a while, only put 1 box through it etc etc suuuuure.

Garand sniper went for $5250 or something nuts like that.

I wish I had more disposable cash, Nightforce nxs 8-32 and S&B pm2 for $1600 each.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 PM

Default i watched some of it live was entertaining for sure

i was late coming in to the start by about a half an hour due to dog and bird chores so was surprised in 20-25 minutes that they flew through 40 items. I had a couple in the first 30 and didn't even get a look in the ball park.
I had my high bids input for auto bidding and often the starting bid was higher than my high bid. Only had 7 out of 54 I was winning by auction time and only twice did it come up (you are winning) for a nano second before I was out bid. Probably missed my chance to increase my bid by $25 on a few items that went fairly reasonably including the Browning nomad and first challenger at around $300 - $350. as even with buyers premium those prices were not out of line.
I was on the Medalist until the very end and when I tried bidding $850 it didnt accept my bid and showed item sold. Only other regret was probably Charles Daly 20 gauge that I failed to increase on at about $375.
Biggest item I was bidding on was the 692 which sold for $3250 and that is actual retail on a new one if you wait for a sale and then add buyers premium and gst.
They once again proved auctions are a good place to sell firearms but not buy.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
i was late coming in to the start by about a half an hour due to dog and bird chores so was surprised in 20-25 minutes that they flew through 40 items. I had a couple in the first 30 and didn't even get a look in the ball park.
I had my high bids input for auto bidding and often the starting bid was higher than my high bid. Only had 7 out of 54 I was winning by auction time and only twice did it come up (you are winning) for a nano second before I was out bid. Probably missed my chance to increase my bid by $25 on a few items that went fairly reasonably including the Browning nomad and first challenger at around $300 - $350. as even with buyers premium those prices were not out of line.
I was on the Medalist until the very end and when I tried bidding $850 it didnt accept my bid and showed item sold. Only other regret was probably Charles Daly 20 gauge that I failed to increase on at about $375.
Biggest item I was bidding on was the 692 which sold for $3250 and that is actual retail on a new one if you wait for a sale and then add buyers premium and gst.
They once again proved auctions are a good place to sell firearms but not buy.
My buddy tried to sell his Winchester 1901 10ga on CGN for like $600 and no one bought it. It went for $1600 at the auction lol
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
The guy that bought that didn't buy the reloading stuff for it. Idk if he was stupid or not paying attention.

I grabbed a glock 34 for $450 and 3 glock mags for $50.

Some things went for reasonable prices, some not so much.

My favorite is searching the forums and calling guys out when they are reselling a gun they bought. Serial numbers match and yet you're saying you've owned the gun for a while, only put 1 box through it etc etc suuuuure.

Garand sniper went for $5250 or something nuts like that.

I wish I had more disposable cash, Nightforce nxs 8-32 and S&B pm2 for $1600 each.
Looked up the price of BRASS online $5.00 US each. He will be regretting that decision....
I was surprised the K&S action went so cheap...But I don't need a .300 RUM target rifle....Not my first choice for long range...but visions of re barreling did run through my head....

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 12-09-2019 at 12:10 AM.