Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Open sight vs scope for new shooter

My niece wants to learn to shoot and I was wondering if it's better to learn with open sights or a scope.
The reason I ask my 22 has a scope on it and it's missing the rear sight blade

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 04:40 PM

It doesn't really matter, the basic shooting principles are the same, regardless of which sighting system you choose.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
My niece wants to learn to shoot and I was wondering if it's better to learn with open sights or a scope.
The reason I ask my 22 has a scope on it and it's missing the rear sight blade

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Start her with an open sight and move on to a scope when she is ready.

S12
Old 12-01-2019, 05:07 PM

There are little things that need to be taught when shooting with open sights and peep sights like focus and sight picture that are unique to irons shooting , so unless the person wants too shoot them specifically, I would simply teach them how to use the optics properly.
Cat
Old 12-01-2019, 06:28 PM

I think it's nice to learn with irons first (or at the same time), as there are quite a few guns that still have them, and are better suited to keeping them.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 PM

I learned open sights first in the gopher patch, seems it would be easier to go irons to scope instead of the other way.

Feels like sight/target acquisition would be easier with irons for a new shooter.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-01-2019, 10:07 PM

My vote is irons first then a scope...Don't get me wrong most of my rifles are scoped... sight picture, shooting with both eyes open, ease of carry etc. all go to irons...but learning eye relief, stock weld etc. are "harder" with a scope IMHO
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 AM

The scope is already on there there no reason not to use it
Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 AM

I am a little old fashioned but I have always believed that people who learned to shoot with open sights understood sight picture, aiming, sight adjustment and the overall mechanics of shooting far better. It is also very useful if you ever want to shoot traditional muzzle loaders, shotguns etc. It is easy to go from open sights to a scope, other way round not so much. If the person struggles with open sights to the point of not having fun but likes scoped rifles, then that changes everything because it is all about having fun when you are teaching younger shooters.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I learned open sights first in the gopher patch, seems it would be easier to go irons to scope instead of the other way.
I feel the same.

I look at it in terms of learning to drive a vehicle; learn on a manual transmission (iron sights) then go to an automatic (scope).

Once you learn on the iron sights, shooting with a "simple" scope is an easier transition....it was for me.....IMHO.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Siteing

Of course supervision,safety glasses,ear protection.Start off with a bench rest to get the feel of the rifle.At this point not really neccessary to use iron sites.No danger of scope contact with a 22.Let her have some fun she will quickly start hitting the bull--get some metal,spin 22 targets,paper can be boreing.Time will time if she wants to persue this activity--
Old 12-02-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I feel the same.

I look at it in terms of learning to drive a vehicle; learn on a manual transmission (iron sights) then go to an automatic (scope).

Once you learn on the iron sights, shooting with a "simple" scope is an easier transition....it was for me.....IMHO.
It’s far easier to learn a manual transmission if you already know how to drive especially if you don’t live on a farm and have to learn in traffic I don’t think the principle of irons first is really worth anything as far as learning goes
Old 12-02-2019, 12:10 PM

I suggest you begin by having fun using what you have, (or can borrow, many shooters have youth suitable 22s, but no kids to shoot them. I would be happier if mine were used more, but have no need to sell them).

The most important early lessons are in general familiarization, attitude, safe handling, muzzle control and PPE, all of which are facilitated using a bench at a club range, as there is a clearly identified firing lane and other shooters provide good (and bad) example.
Rifle fit and weight is less important on the bench, and teaches proper use of bags or back-pack.

Irons teach the importance of total sight picture while focusing on the front sight, which will be helpful transitioning to pistols (which many young (and old) gals seem to really enjoy, and often shoot VERY well).
Irons training will be invaluable if she has any interest in biathlon or similar structured competition.

If your scope is easily removed & reinstalled, (= desirability of P-rails and tip-off mounts,) then making a rear sight with tape will be a great opportunity to teach the geometry of the system, and how to correct and adjust as required. You can install the tape at several locations or to form a ‘peep’ or ‘ghost ring’ sight.

As others suggest, it is most important to make it an enjoyable experience. The hot chocolate is more important than the firearm.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 12-02-2019, 12:38 PM

22 wouldn't matter much but I hate to see kids learn with a scope on a rifle. Good to get proper form down so you don't get scoped and develop a flinch.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM

teach her with the scope since it is already on but if you get the opportunity teach her how to use iron sights as well
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 PM

I learned with iron sights so of course I thought that had to be the best way.

Now I believe that optics make the initial learning easier and allow them to focus on other fundamentals.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:19 PM

I taught my kids with a scoped 22. Easier to have less things in their heads spinning around while your primary directive for a learner is range safety and muzzle control.

With a scope, and some basics like eye relief, position etc... it's point and shoot.

Once they are familiar with safety and positioning - then irons.

Irons are a bit more tricky I think.

Fore me it's learn to drive safely with an automatic transmission proficiently, then move to the 5 speed which is more complicated.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 PM

I'd say with a scope to start with. When my daughter got started I wanted her to learn with open sights first to get her technique down. But it was more like work. Then I let her use the boss's 10/22 with a scope and she loved it. Now she has a blast shooting paper targets and pumpkins and stuff like that. When she's more experienced we'll go back to sights. I think she was around 10 when we started.

I was half her age when I started shooting and using the sights was my only option. I think being a young boy on a farm helped me pick up on it a lot faster than most kids starting out. We've lived in town my daughter's whole life so her outdoor experience is a bit different than mine was.