Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM

Default 7mm

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying a gun. I shoot right now a 270 win with a 150 grain bullet. I was just wondering if there's a huge recoil difference between the 270 and 7mm. Just wanted to know.

RATHER BE HUNTING
Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 PM

Which 7 mm? A 7mm.08 has less recoil, a 7mm RUM has a bit more.... There are quite a few different cartridges throwing out 7 mm bullets, and they can have tremendously different powder capacity/recoil. So the short answer is Maybe.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Which 7 mm? A 7mm.08 has less recoil, a 7mm RUM has a bit more.... There are quite a few different cartridges throwing out 7 mm bullets, and they can have tremendously different powder capacity/recoil. So the short answer is Maybe.
Ya you can say a 7mm rum has a bit more I was shooting mine tonight.Hardly kicks at all.

If you han handle more go for it.Yes they kick harder if you are getting a mag. The ulta mag kicks like no other of the 7's(mule).
Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 PM

sorry i'm looking to getting the 7mm rem mag browning x-bolt. just wondering if there's a lot of recoil difference.

RATHER BE HUNTING
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvani View Post
sorry i'm looking to getting the 7mm rem mag browning x-bolt. just wondering if there's a lot of recoil difference.
yes there is a bit.Have you shot a 30-06? I think they are similar with a heavier bullet in the odd 6. Great caliber in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM

i've never shot a 30-06 just a 270 win. A lot of people say there's not that much difference between the 270 and 7mm rem mag in recoil.

RATHER BE HUNTING
Old 04-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvani View Post
i've never shot a 30-06 just a 270 win. A lot of people say there's not that much difference between the 270 and 7mm rem mag in recoil.
no but there is some you will notice it but depends on a few things.I think you will be fine though.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM

Felt recoil has a lot to do with stock design,the weight of the rifle and how the rifle fits you. Best thing to do is to shoot a few rifles and see what works for you.I have a .280 ( which is a 7mm) a 30-06 and my gf has a .270 wsm. out of the 3 the .280 recoils the most.I have no knowledge on the x bolt as I have never shot one. My bro in law has a medallion in .300 win mag and that thing is painful to shoot.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 PM

Depends on several variables -- I got a 7mm Rem Mag this spring, and the thing kicks quite a bit harder than my old .30-06; mind you, it's probably over a pound lighter, which will make it better for those long walks out in the foothills.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM

I think that stock design and recoil pad have a lot to do with felt recoil.I just bought a Sako 85 in 300 WSM and I'm sure it kicks less than the 30-06 I used to have which was a Browning A-bolt.I put about 25 shots through it at the range and never had any pain in my shoulder.My shoulder would get sore after about 9 or 10 shots with the A-bolt.I noticed that I would develop a flinch when the recoil was bothering me and it was time to go home.

I've heard that recoil pads such as limbsavers make a huge difference if recoil is a problem.