Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Where to get a bow tuned in Edmonton area?

I'm looking to go somewhere and get my bow tuned. I don't have the knowledge and expertise to do it myself and I would rather have someone show me how to do it rather than try and figure it out myself by reading up on it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop to go to, or someone to talk to who knows alot about this sort of thing.

Thanks, Lance.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Accurate archery out in Alberta beach. It's a little bit of a drive. 45min west of edmonton, buts it's worth the drive.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Ace Archery out in Villeneuve talk to Allen.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Imo sherwood park archery is the only place i would take my bow. Dallas can be rough around the edges but be is awesome at tuning and setting up a bow
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery_nut View Post
Accurate archery out in Alberta beach. It's a little bit of a drive. 45min west of edmonton, buts it's worth the drive.
x2. Lawrence is the man. Takes good care of ya.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Sherwood Park Archery Lanes? You've got to be kidding. I wouldn't take my bow there, even if it was the last pro shop in Alberta.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM

I haven't had any issues and i have been going there for ten+ years
Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 PM

Go to either Lawrence at Alberta beach or Neil @ lost arrow by wainwright.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neechi View Post
Sherwood Park Archery Lanes? You've got to be kidding. I wouldn't take my bow there, even if it was the last pro shop in Alberta.
X2
Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Again Dallas at sherwood park is the best i personal have ever met. Everyone else who has touched my bow screwed it up.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM

Martin at Swamp Donkey, just north of Stony can help, and his prices can't be beat.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranzky View Post
Martin at Swamp Donkey, just north of Stony can help, and his prices can't be beat.
Martin's prices are very good but I dont think he is as good a bow tech as some of the other guys. Cant beat his bow prices if he has what you want.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Wyld.

Anyone been to Wyld Archery off the Yellowhead?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam3 View Post
Anyone been to Wyld Archery off the Yellowhead?
last time I was there I noticed a paper tuning stand so it appears he's finally gotten set up for that
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
+1
Old 07-03-2014, 11:38 PM

Default Sherwood Archery

I just bought a bow from a buddy at work, Hoyt Maxxis, which he bought from Sherwood archery lanes. I took it in today because where the string splits to a "Y" the left string is straight and not twisted whereas the right is nice and tightly twisted. The guy there said it was nothing to worry about and basically sent me on my way. I thought it odd that he didn't try to repair it and just said to apply wax to it regularly. Maybe it's no big deal but since I was driving from Morinville I did think about taking it to Wyld but figured since it was purchased there I'd be doing the right thing. I wonder what they would've done if I took it to Wyld instead ?

Sorry if I High jacked.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
X3 About SPA. IMHO Neil at L.O.S.T Arrow is the man!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I just bought a bow from a buddy at work, Hoyt Maxxis, which he bought from Sherwood archery lanes. I took it in today because where the string splits to a "Y" the left string is straight and not twisted whereas the right is nice and tightly twisted. The guy there said it was nothing to worry about and basically sent me on my way. I thought it odd that he didn't try to repair it and just said to apply wax to it regularly. Maybe it's no big deal but since I was driving from Morinville I did think about taking it to Wyld but figured since it was purchased there I'd be doing the right thing. I wonder what they would've done if I took it to Wyld instead ?

Sorry if I High jacked.

Probably the same thing, since that part of the cable is typically used to adjust cam lean. It's likely nothing to worry about. If your cams look like they lean at full draw they it may be an issue. Bowtech's od binaries are the same. One leg typically is not twisted and the other is the one that you adjust your lean on.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Probably the same thing, since that part of the cable is typically used to adjust cam lean. It's likely nothing to worry about. If your cams look like they lean at full draw they it may be an issue. Bowtech's od binaries are the same. One leg typically is not twisted and the other is the one that you adjust your lean on.
Well that's a relief then. He did have a close look at the cams. He just didn't explain it as well or at all as you did.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:12 AM

No problems! Do follow his advise and keep your string and cables well waxed. This is likely the easiest and single most important thing the average person can do to maintain his/her equipment, and it's the thing I see ignored most. Have fun and good shooting!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
X whatever

I know a few rookies who have taken their bows there and we will charge whatever he thinks he can depending on how much he thinks they know. I wouldn't go there ever for anything.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM

On that note too the guys in spruce grove aren't bad.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:54 PM

he will charge*
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I have to agree. I've driven to Sherwood park and Dallas seemed grumpy to even talk to me. I can see someone having a bad day but that was over three different visits. The reason I went there was they where the only ones who carried the arrows I shot.
Lawerence is the man. Although I've never met Neil after reading his posts I can tell he knows his stuff. Also I get the feeling he enjoys what he does and wants to help.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Default Bow Tuning

I've used Trophy Book for spec tuning a few times and in that regard they were good. They got very close anyway. Didn't take a whole lot of tuning after to get bullet holes & I never used them for the final tuning so no idea what they are like after a spec tune. I've received some good help out at Pipestone Creek too. Never tried anything with Accurate & Lawrence either. Been shooting for 23 years or so now & Neil @ Lost Arrow is the most skilled & knowledgeable fellow I've encountered. REALLY knows his stuff & is about as willing as they come to get a problem solved or tweak a bow and you to get the best performance you can. I can't say enough good things to really do his service justice. It's well worth the drive to have him work with you.

In regards to SPAL. Before the management change it was a really good shop to deal with. I bought three bows there. One before & two after. The first two were dual cam bows and I had no tuning/spec tune issues with either. The last which is my current bow is a single cam & it was so far out to lunch it wasn't funny. Took a long session with Neil to rectify it. Several times I've given them the opportunity for me to purchase something there and it has been treated in a very poor aspect as far as I'm concerned. Not every time have I been treated ill but the negative experiences far outweigh the positive. Anyone can spend their money where they see fit and it's no skin off my teeth but IMHO, there are outfits that are much more deserving of receiving a fellows hard earned cash.

These are my experiences with local/semi local shops. Take them for what you will.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM

I heard Jim bows archery from Calgary is opening a shop here in edmonton, which will be awsome cus they tuned my last bow and did an outstanding job. No complaints.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 AM

I live in Calgary, and purchased and take my compound to Neil at L.O.ST. for his annual free tuneup. Has a great outdoor range the kids love too. If I didnt want to do the drive, Id send it on greyhound with the case locked with a combination lock.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 PM

lawrence at Accurate Archery... has got well out of the way for me and has made this time around at the compound attempt...a very positive experience.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM

If you want to drive to lacombe there is a well known fellow who operates bow tuning as an obsessive hobby out of his garage. (Builds a mean set of strings too - he's been bit by long range rifle bug lately but he can still tune a bow) not sure what he might charge though.

If you want to drive all the way to rocky Mtn house I'll tune you up for free but it will cost you a $10 guest pass to hike the RGC archery trail afterwards. Lol

Above mentioned buddy from lacombe would probably also be out this way for a shoot and arrow fling on any given weekend.

I'm no pro shop - just an obsessed archery guy who's won shiny gold medals here and there...

Nobody touches my bows but me...

+1 more NO Sherwood park archery. It was a bow of mine that took the t bar down above the bow press...

PM if interested!

Last edited by xring_assassin; 07-07-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect
Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
I have to agree. I've driven to Sherwood park and Dallas seemed grumpy to even talk to me. I can see someone having a bad day but that was over three different visits..
Took my bow there a few times just because it was 5 minutes away. Each time I asked to speak to Dallas he was "too busy". Last time I had my limbs replaced and the screws were barely in, 2 threads maybe. I asked the young guy who worked on the bow about it and he said that was normal for that bow. Also said it was set to a 60# draw. It didnt look right to me so I took it to wholesale and Lawrence refused to even test the draw weight, he said " The bow would have probably blown up if I had drawn it" The other time I took my bow there for a replacement string and the one they put on was too long.

Crappy customer service, expensive repairs, NEVER AGAIN!

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."