Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Vortex optics

Im considering topping a 300win or 300wsm with a high end vortex tactical. Anybody using their products? Any experience good or bad? I personally havent talked first hand to anybody who has or has heard of anybody shooting magnums with these scopes. Im curious if they hold up, the reviews online are good... but is the cheaper price worth giving up the reputation of a leupold.. my second choice.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Bad. My brother had one and he tried sighting it in and the top turret screw stripped and WSS wouldn't warranty it, he had to order a new part...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM

For our namibian PG hunt, my buddy put a Viper Vortex on his 7RM. He had no problems during our hunts and, when I asked, he said he thought the scope to be bright and clear. Don't know if I'd switch from Leopold to Vortex if I was a Leopold user. Most my rifles have Swaros on them and that's cool with me.

Bobby B.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Ive looked a few and think the glass is great, not sure how they hold up though. I could see myself buying one in the future if the reviews stay consistently good.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Bad. My brother had one and he tried sighting it in and the top turret screw stripped and WSS wouldn't warranty it, he had to order a new part...
I find that hard to believe as Vortex has a no fault warranty. From what I was told from the sales person I delt with at wholesale, don't matter who,what, where it broke they will fix it or replace it. I checked the Vortex website and they say the same thing.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM

I had a chance to go outside with the 6.5-20x50 viper at dusk a while back ( thank you to the good ppl at natures corner store) And the color and light transmition seemed good to me, in daylight it was clear as anything I have looked through. Now, if that holds true when Im concentrated on a target at 700m at 20x I dont know. My main concern is will it handle the abuse of the odd hunting trip, and especially recoil of a mag after 600 rounds or more.
Im interested in buying the 6.5-20x50 with mrad reticle. HAvent found one in stock anywhere yet.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 PM

I have a 6.5-20 on my .220 swift and have no problems with it. I have had it for 4 years. I have one on my .17 HMR and one on a Weatherby .300. All are the Vipers. Compare them with anything in the same price range and they win hands down in clarity and when you click them an inch they move an inch unlike when you see other guys at the range they tap their scopes after making an adjustment. I also have leupolds and Zeiss but for the money....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM

I guess i really want to know is a leupold a better long range scope money aside, performance only.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchsl View Post
I guess i really want to know is a leupold a better long range scope money aside, performance only.
Of course the leaupy will out perform the Vortex...... will a Vortex get the job done, most likely. Its impossible and unfair to compare a scope costing 2x+ more money, the Vortex is competing with the mid range guys like Bushnell and so far from what Ive see there doing well. That extra crispness you get when the scope is set on its max power in a variable scope can cost allot of money. I had a chance to shoot with a Bushnell 4.5-30x50 scope and the optics were great however when the scope was dialed in at over 20+ the optics began to suffer slightly but noticeable, all the shots were affective but i liked my leaupy 6.5-20x50 which stayed nice and crisp and it should have considering what I paid for it.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:23 AM

I have one on my 300win. like it quite a bit, the price was good, it is clear, eye relief is a little less than leopold, while I was sighting it in, had the caps off of course, and the little metal disc that indicates windage came of, operation of scope was still fine, called down, and explained, had one in my mailbox in about a week. that is the only problem I see with them, having to send your scope to the states. take a little longer.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:19 AM

Thanks for the response. Funds permiting Ill post my purchase and reasons for it, then the review!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Are you looking at the Razor or Viper? The Razor is the top end scope from vortex and although I haven't seen one up here I think they will run you along the some prices as the Leupold Mark 4's. If the glass is as good as whats in the Razor spotting scope than it is top notch.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Are you looking at the Razor or Viper? The Razor is the top end scope from vortex and although I haven't seen one up here I think they will run you along the some prices as the Leupold Mark 4's. If the glass is as good as whats in the Razor spotting scope than it is top notch.
The Vortex Razor HDs have not been released for export yet, but soon I am told. They sell in the US for $2000.00 plus which puts them just beyond what a NF sells for.
The 1s I checked out at SHOT looked very good

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

WOW $2000 us, good luck competing with Schmidt & bender and US optics, there scopes have looked good so time will tell if they can compete with the big boys in the optics industry, I personally don't think they have a chance.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM

I was after the Viper, because I had read there is a waiting list for delivery and availability of razor. As mentioned by Solothurn, I was not aware they were not available at all. This is what I was looking at purchasing.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 MRAD and like it very much. It has tracked very well, returned to zero, box tested, and shot consistently throughout the magnification range. I also like the the turrets better than Leupold turrets as they are crisper. Vortexs warranty is TOP NOTCH, I had a tracking problem with my first Vortex scope, and they sent me a new scope with a return label in the box so that I did not have to go with out a scope for any period of time. Great folks to deal with I am excited to check out the Viper PST when it comes into Canada. The Sportsmans Den in Red Deer is also a dealer for Vortex. For me it is pretty much Vortex or Night Force, Leupold is out.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
waylow

I found that the eye relief stated for the scope was a lot more than they actually have. Got rid of mine because of this.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM

I have a Vortex Viper 4-12X 40 mil dot on a Remington .223 SPS and I like it a lot. I would buy another one. Seems as good as any Bushnell Elite or Lupy VxIorII. I don't have any experience with it on a mag. cartrige though.
If you got one and didn't love it I'm sure you could still get good cash for it.