Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Which Caliber for Target Shooting

Hey guys, I'm gonna do my damnest to get myself a Target Rifle this year. Just for killing paper and steel gongs. I can't swing a custom outfit, so money is tight...gotta sell some stuff...make a lateral move if you will. ..... I've got it down to a few choices....MAYBE....I originally thought about a 223 or the 22-250...something good and heavy, cheap to reload, fun to shoot(what ain't??)....Savage has a couple I really like....The Long Range Precision Varminter........Then there's the F Class bench guns...like them too...... I love the 6mmBR caliber...always had a soft spot for it and 22PPC...then along comes the... 6.5-284 and actually this was gonna be it, but after reading up on em....barrels lasting only 1000-1200 rounds kinda got me nervous.... Been paying a fair bit of attention to the New Savage Palma also.....but 308 cal only( I know there's a bazillion shooters who love the 308 for this stuff....but I still like the 6mm's more)....then on the other hand, I'm already set up to reload for the 308...brass/dies/powder.........see.....sooooo many guns....sooooooo little money....sooooooooo much time !! Well,Dick....Cat..you guys are in the know.....what do you guys think....prefferences....good or bad.....better ideas......I always read and respect what you guys think. I also appreciate any and all who'll offer their opinions, responses and experiences to me. Thankx.......Shortmag{Kevin}
Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 AM

How far put do you plan to shoot?
Also, maybe contact Jerry Teo here http://www.mysticprecision.com/
he can show you how to put a GOOD budget minded rifle together!
Cat
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Hey Cat...right now our range has 100,200 and 300 yard capabilities.....we have the groundwork done and some stuff in place for the new 500 yard range....done by next year(?)....BTW, WOWIE, and THANKX for the link to Jerry's page !!...now I REALLY CAN'T make up my mind.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Lot's of choices, huh? Take a look at the 7mm-08 as well. Well mannered to shoot, inherently accurate based on the .308, better BC for downrange energy...lot's of gong shooters went to this.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTMAG View Post
Hey Cat...right now our range has 100,200 and 300 yard capabilities.....we have the groundwork done and some stuff in place for the new 500 yard range....done by next year(?)....BTW, WOWIE, and THANKX for the link to Jerry's page !!...now I REALLY CAN'T make up my mind.
500 yards?
No sweat - the .223 will getrdun with the best.
Pick up a Savage or cheap stevens and build it a bit at at a time so your outlay is not all at once and have fun!
cat
Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I guess it boils down to what games you want to play.
Palma go 308
HP silhouette go 7-08 or 260
General goofing around and informal plinking go 223

There are no absolutes
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM

What about those rifles Savage markets as target guns since we are looking at entry level sort of stuff, (being ask by a guy who does not know his butt from a hole in the ground about this subject).

And would the 223 need to be a fast twist so it could handle the larger high BC heads to be competative at 500?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
What about those rifles Savage markets as target guns since we are looking at entry level sort of stuff, (being ask by a guy who does not know his butt from a hole in the ground about this subject).

And would the 223 need to be a fast twist so it could handle the larger high BC heads to be competative at 500?
The savage rifles are competitive.
A 1:9" twist is all you need for 500 meters, and a 69 grain Seirra match King bullet.
Cat
Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 PM

..OH GOOD one Dick !!...now I need one for EACH game!!!I watched the making of the new Savage commercial where they make the 1200 yard shots ...That's with the new Palma 308.....No tweaking....FACTORY setup!...course I think the had a 29 foot hold over.....Yea the Savages were Originally my first choice...I got a Stevens 243....my Coyote load will shoot 55 gr BTips sub/sub MOA @ 100 yds with my handloads one RAGGED HOLE!!.....and out of all the factory stuff I tested...win super X Pwr point 100 gr.....cloverleaf groups at 100!!....I'm prolly gonna make a definate decision this summer..lmao..Yearrr rrrighttt....I like the idea of one piece at a time tho.....good plan.....ThankX for input folks!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM

I would start off with the 223 and see how things go in the years to come - many calibers to chose from....I have a savage model 12 LRPV in 223 I bought last year...with the target accu-trigger, it is truly a joy to shoot. L'il Shooter has a CZ target in 308 and it is a nice calibre as well...but at this time, I prefer my savage...next up will be a 6mmBR or something like.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM

My starter setup is a Savage with 1 in 9" twist .223 with 69 grain matchkings. Have not gotten to 500 yet but will be working on it this summer - the scope is an older 4.5-14x40 1" Leupold tactical with target turrets.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM

You can always do the stevens build. As cat already mentioned, have a chat with Jerry (mysticplayer) on gunnutz. You can buy shilen barrels right off the guy and plop that onto the stevens action.... You'll either need to modify the stock or buy a new one.
I personally would go with a 223 with a 1in8 twist rate to launch the heavier bullets. You can even go 1 in 7 to launch the 90 gr. VLD's. They will do 1000 yards even.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTMAG View Post
..OH GOOD one Dick !!...now I need one for EACH game!!!I watched the making of the new Savage commercial where they make the 1200 yard shots ...That's with the new Palma 308.....No tweaking....FACTORY setup!...course I think the had a 29 foot hold over.....Yea the Savages were Originally my first choice...I got a Stevens 243....my Coyote load will shoot 55 gr BTips sub/sub MOA @ 100 yds with my handloads one RAGGED HOLE!!.....and out of all the factory stuff I tested...win super X Pwr point 100 gr.....cloverleaf groups at 100!!....I'm prolly gonna make a definate decision this summer..lmao..Yearrr rrrighttt....I like the idea of one piece at a time tho.....good plan.....ThankX for input folks!!
For starting out, the 223 will be fine, but your optics and the rifle's barrel need as much or MORE attention than the cartridge you want to shoot , and here is why.
The .223, 6mm, 6.5, 7, and 7.62 calibers have any number of cases that you can put these bullets into that will make the rip well all the way out to 1K.

Whether you ,load the .223, 243win, 6mmBR, 6.5 whateever0you like, or 7mm, and the 308, all have good brass availability, cases, and dies to do the job.
The rifle you choose is more dependant on the barrel than anything simply bbecause as Jeromeo mentioned, you want to stabilize the longer bullets with it.
These faster twists can be had without too much hassle, and you don't have to go super fast twist to stabilize some bullets.
A 1"9 will suffice for the .223 for the 69-75 grain bullets, 1:8 works very well for the 6's and 6.5 and a 1:10 will do for most of the bullets you will shoot out of a 30.
However, the scope and bases we use never seem to get as much attention for some reason.
Stay away from scopes 1/8 MOA adjustment - 1/4 is better, and make sure they have enough elevation as well.

to be blunt, expect to pay as much or more for you scope than your rifle.
This is not always true , but for the most part it's a pretty good rule to follow.
Cat
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Just found an "AS NEW" Savage LRPV in 223......round a 1000 bucks....I'm workin on a deal now. Aaaaannnnd.....Think I also found an older Mod 10(?).......woods rough....blueings poor....posible trade off....Oh Dear Lord....Here we go!!!!