Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Power steering dilemma?

09 dodge ram 1500. Backed out the drive way went to turn around and nothing? Belt is on, plenty of fluid, no warning lights? Can these lines freeze up? It is pretty cold. I realize people strong armed it for decades but this thing is next to impossible to steer. Any ideas? Or shall call a tow truck?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Banned

let it run in the driveway for a while and see what happens, could be frozen or have a frozen plug in it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 AM

Go figure I'm on E as well!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
well first off quit with the drugs E is bad all jokes aside gotta love the cold hey, thats when the vehicle gremlins like to come out and cause problems
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 AM

I think you just need to get the fluid moving, warm at the resivour but very cold at the outside ends. My old f350 is like that when driving in -30 down the highway. When you come to need a good turn, it's like you have the old armstrong steering. I find when its real cold, before you leave the driveway, slowly turn your wheels back and forth a few times.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM

I froze my escape's power steering fluid years ago, so yes, it can freeze.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
09 dodge ram 1500. Backed out the drive way went to turn around and nothing? Belt is on, plenty of fluid, no warning lights? Can these lines freeze up? It is pretty cold. I realize people strong armed it for decades but this thing is next to impossible to steer. Any ideas? Or shall call a tow truck?

Thanks in advance guys.
Don't know about the power steering, but I had a blocked PCV valve last year when temp hit -38 and this caused oil to blow back out of the dip-stick tube. Dealership checked and said PCV was plugged by frost. I just let the vehicle idle longer next day it was cold and it never happened again.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Mr. Murphy strikes again!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Banned

Oh the fluid does freeze, Kia learned that the hard way with their power steering system. The fluid froze up, and when people started turning their wheel to full stop, the high pressure line would blow.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks in advance guys.
Will it turn when you rev the engine?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM

When you get it running change the fluid out and use ATF4 instead of powersteering fuild, it is synthetic and won't freeze up. I did that in my '96 dodge and also my current '03, it also stops the moaning noise when it gets cold.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks folks, I couldnt avoid work all day, so I plugged the truck in and will check things out when I get home. The REALLY sad part is I have 3,000 sq ft of heated garage space but an uncle who won't get his crap out of it!! So I'm stuck parking in the driveway. Said uncle did agree however to lend me a vehicle untill I figure it out.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM

steering arm may be broken, dodges have issues with these. If it did fail, be glad you were not on the HiWay. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Power steering line blew!! Tow truck called off for repairs she goes. Cold weather sure can mess things up. Crappy thing is I have to drive a chev for a few days:-(
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM

1 oz of kerosene will help heep it flowing in cold weather.

ATF is Paraffin based and is almost semisolid at these recent temps.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM

I just diagnose an 08 1500 with the same problem. Unfortunately in this case the seal from the left side of the rack and pinion blown out due to freeze, it was so bad, that the fluid was pouring out from the rack.
P/S hose are very common, we have them daily when it gets below -30.
There is a fluid, Esso UNIVIS which is approved by Chrysler and withstand temps to -50, we do replace the factory fluid when we have to repair any P/S system which failed due to cold temps.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
I just diagnose an 08 1500 with the same problem. Unfortunately in this case the seal from the left side of the rack and pinion blown out due to freeze, it was so bad, that the fluid was pouring out from the rack.
There is a fluid, Esso UNIVIS which is approved by Chrysler and withstand temps to -50, we do replace the factory fluid when we have to repair any P/S system which failed due to cold temps.
Thanks! Actually puts me at ease. Tow truck company said 24hr wait time? Guy was here in 30 minutes! And the tow is free! (roadside assist.) I doubt I'll be as lucky with the repairs but hey?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is an epidemic! Mine went this morning, just got a call from the shop, both bellows are full of steering fluid, the whole rack needs replacing. $800!!! What a kick in the junk!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Amsoil makes a synthetic PS oil
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Actually puts me at ease. Tow truck company said 24hr wait time? Guy was here in 30 minutes! And the tow is free! (roadside assist.) I doubt I'll be as lucky with the repairs but hey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
This is an epidemic! Mine went this morning, just got a call from the shop, both bellows are full of steering fluid, the whole rack needs replacing. $800!!! What a kick in the junk!
Please ask your shop to use the updated cold temp. fluid - Esso UNIVIS, instead of the ATF, otherwise it could / will happen again when we go below -30 C. It will save you $$$.
Unfortunately most newer rack and pinion are non-serviceable, the entire unit must be replaced.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Please ask your shop to use the updated cold temp. fluid - Esso UNIVIS, instead of the ATF, otherwise it could / will happen again when we go below -30 C. It will save you $$$.
Unfortunately most newer rack and pinion are non-serviceable, the entire unit must be replaced.
10-4 thanks for the tip! I'll insist they put in the synthetic fluid!