Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Smile Ama

A special thanks to the gentleman named Ken who works for AMA who came to our rescue this morning.

We ended up with a flat tire. 1 hour of calling and on hold and Ken was there within 30 minutes to change up the flat for my spare. Which I found out was not fully inflated and he was able to get that to the right pressure.

Ama might seem silly sometimes but on days like today they sure are wonderful.:sHa_sha keshout:
Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

days like today Im sure it pays for itself a million times over. I have ama and I quite like knowing I can get a tow or gas or help in any situation !
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM

I haven't been a member for 20 years, but I recall back in high school where my buddies and I all had memberships largely due to the heaps of junk we drove. It was never if we needed AMA, it was when.......

The Mrs has a membership though.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

The other half has AMA. 2 years ago when it was -50 and -60 with wind chill in December we flew in from Mexico at midnight during that weather. Truck wouldn't start, needed a boost. Called AMA. The wait time was 13 hours for a boost! Luckily I packed my cold weather gear in the truck before we left and was able to phone a friend who was able to come give us a boost. I guess it's a good service until it gets cold and everyone is expecting service too. I always carry cables and offer a boost to those in need. I don't expect anything in return either. Strangers have helped me out enough times i try to pay it forward.

Trap
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM

If you are using it for basic roadside assistance I would use someone else. In fact one that I use and is well worth the cost is roadside assistance through bell mobility and is only $5/month compared to $100+/year for AMA.

Plus Bell will cover any vehicle as long as you have your phone with you. It doesnt have to be your vehicle.

Here is the link:
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products...ide_Assistance
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM

That's funny FishingMom, I have a guy in Calgary that works for me part time(completely different line of work) but his full time job is with AMA, his name is also Ken, wonder if it is him?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeya View Post
That's funny FishingMom, I have a guy in Calgary that works for me part time(completely different line of work) but his full time job is with AMA, his name is also Ken, wonder if it is him?
Middle aged gentleman.
He was super!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Default ama

I've had it for years. Whether I drive a new car or beater I keep it. Membership covers me, not the car so it doesn't what I'm driving or where.
One thing that is nice is that if I'm towing something and break down, the coverge I have will cover towing my trailer as well as my truck. It's fine to complain about a 3 hour (or whatever) wait when conditions are like this, but common sense tells you that you are not alone in your unpreparedness.

Geo
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Default Husky pays for your AMA

Member for 35 years. And with your Husky/Mohawk card it pays for your AMA membership every year. And we all burn gas or diesel!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklerdog View Post
I've had it for years. Whether I drive a new car or beater I keep it. Membership covers me, not the car so it doesn't what I'm driving or where.
One thing that is nice is that if I'm towing something and break down, the coverge I have will cover towing my trailer as well as my truck. It's fine to complain about a 3 hour (or whatever) wait when conditions are like this, but common sense tells you that you are not alone in your unpreparedness.

Geo
Just for your information

If you have a flat deck trailer .. AMA will NOT tow it as they say it is a commercial unit... Even though I have asked them when I signed up for that package... But they will tow my boat or rv trailer

Br hey if you get one tow it will more than pay for itself over the years ... And you can get free maps travel tips and those Kool books on camping in were ever
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM

How much is AMA these days?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
How much is AMA these days?
CAA Basic: $98.70*
CAA Plus: $138.60*
CAA Plus RV: $165.90*
* new member rates
explaination of the rates.
http://www.ama.ab.ca/membership#coverage
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 AM

45 year member.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Telus roadside assistance--- $40 year
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/c...sistance.shtml
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam3 View Post
Member for 35 years. And with your Husky/Mohawk card it pays for your AMA membership every year. And we all burn gas or diesel!
I hear you Solo, we purchase enough fuel that my membership renewal is minimal. Not to mention all the perks it comes with, I renew my registration online now and they mail me the plate sticker, If I can avoid the registries office a couple times a year, I am a happy man.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Default ama

Harrydude, thanks for heads up on flat deck, not an issue for me with the camper, but good to know and for others. We also but ski passes and movie tickets there, I think you can buy park passes there and it's all discounted or bundled to make it worthwhile. There other things too and it's all posted online for easy review.
The husky/mohawk thing is an added bonus too.

Geo
Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
If you have a flat deck trailer .. AMA will NOT tow it as they say it is a commercial unit... Even though I have asked them when I signed up for that package... But they will tow my boat or rv trailer
Careful with your coverage guys.. Your mileage is limited. I believe it is 150kms. AND if you are getting towed across the boarder (AB/BC/SK) you will be dropped at the border and have to wait for another tow company to pick you up..

AMA is good, but make sure you know your policy. I'm with coachnet, When I did my research, coachnet was better.