Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I like how you guys are all quick to crucify me. The first accident was backing out of a parking stall before christmas and the other was missing a red light and t-boning a guy. I am not trying to justify either incident. I have had quotes from 4800 a year up to 8400. I understand paying a higher primium for now being considered a high risk motorist, however do you believe that a service that is mandatory should generate billions in profit?
They have to heat there very large high rise buildings you know.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Just curious, are any of our members insurance agents? If so, shoot me a PM, I'd be interested in maybe getting a comparison to Wawanesa....just sent them another grand and wondering if I can't do better elsewhere. I have so much going on, that doing 'online quotes' is not worth the effort.

Anyone?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
And on a 1998 Dakota for an 18 yr old its $1700/ yr for PL and PD. i just got the bill

No claims, no tickets

Remember that scope you were looking at WSS that could shoot martians off the moon?

I think it was selling for $1,700.

Hope junior gets you a discount.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Did you get a letter at some point that said "due to the high number of accidents (2) we regret to inform you that you we will no longer be able to insure you?

Try the Co-operators
Those a_ _holes would be the last company I would go to. Went from State Farm in Ontario @$990/yr to a $3500/yr quote in Nova Scotia @ Co-Op. I had at the time 1 new windshield claim against my truck. I found that Western Direct has been a wise choice.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
Missing a red light and t-boning a guy ?

Nice that you can dismiss that so easily, driving is a privilege. Perhaps the addition expenditure will help improve your concentration and you can avoid that sort of thing in the future.

Then over time your rates will come back down.
You're right it is a privilege. But mistakes do happen even to the perfect.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Final Quote 3050 for a year thru co-operators, and they did pull a drivers abstract.... State farm was 4274.15 for 6 months.... that's an annual difference of almost $5500. It pays to shop around between these crooks
What is your age? Might explain the high premiums (age, plus accidents)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Remember that scope you were looking at WSS that could shoot martians off the moon?

I think it was selling for $1,700.

Hope junior gets you a discount.
That salt you pour hurts my wound. Lol

He quit WSS. Tough decision for him. He really liked the people there a lot.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM

I'm 26. and by the way to the *****hole who thinks I dismiss my accident like it was nothing. I have felt terrible about it everyday since it happened. I do not drink and drive, I'm a courteous driver. Yes my mind wasn't 100% where it should have been but accidents do happen. I even went as far as to write the gentlemen I hit a letter wishing him all the best and appologizing for like the 200th time for any inconcenience. When writing about an incident I don't feel I should have to explain how horrible I felt. I know that I was 100% at fault with no excuses for my accident. Ok, in the last month I've had 2 incidents but for the past 10 years of driving I've never had any accidents or claims. Go ahead and label me as a bad driver and make whatever judgment calls you want, your uneducated assumptions are ignorant. I hope if you ever have any incidents that the people you deal with are as harsh as you are.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Randy

20 year old with new licence also got dinged for $1750 /year PL/PD on 2002 Cavalier.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM

I was at $3500 a year at age 18. My sister, two years older than I, couldn't count the tickets and accidents she had on record and was at $1200 a year.

I took it very personally. To get back at them, I would lead female insurance agents on and make them fall in love with me, only to sleep with their best friends or sisters. burn. Just kidding, could you emagine? No but seriously, I was totally peeved.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Just curious, are any of our members insurance agents? If so, shoot me a PM, I'd be interested in maybe getting a comparison to Wawanesa....just sent them another grand and wondering if I can't do better elsewhere. I have so much going on, that doing 'online quotes' is not worth the effort.

Anyone?
All it takes is a phone call to the offices and they get their quotes...We switched from Wawanesa to AMA 4 or 5 years ago and saved like 3k per year! Never did it until they cancelled for the three claim thing...it really pays to shop around like someone said they are crooks....License to print money!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Recently I emailed around for quotes as my rates keep rising even with no claims or tickets forever. It was like trying to get their DNA and their mom's address. If there is an insurance agent on the board here that would be interested in quoting send me a pm.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Default insurance companies love complacency

I just switched over to Meloche from Canadian Direct. CDI's rates were lower at first but their level of service and dealing with appraisers and adjusters from BC when the car/trucks are in Alberta is ridiculous.
Plus they nickel and dime all the body shops on their quotes except for their "preferred" shops.

I was surprised when I called Meloche for a quote. The girl I was dealing with told me that the first year you switch over you're getting some large discounts (about 20 percent), the second year about half and then the 3rd year about 5 percent. The idea is that you'l lstick with an isurance company year after year. If more guys shopped around and changed companies regularly I think the rates would be more competitive and lower to a degree.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM

I am at $1300 with my new truck, 2million commercial policy.
In BC I was at $750.
Ont quote was $3700.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

i pay 590 here in bc (which has always ment bring cash)

terrifies me these prices you are quoting
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM
AvayaAce

My cousin runs an insurance brokerage in Calgary. She does the shopping for you. I hate insurance companies with a passion by the by....

PM me if you want the company name in Calgary...

She has me with Intact and I have an SUV, a full size car, house insurance with a ryder($175) My total for the year is $3179.00. They take it out monthly so no hassles.

The best advice I can give anyone on this board relates to kids. The best decision when your kids become the age to drive, is to let them drive under your policy. They offered free for my daughter....big accident, vehicle written off....$10k a year insurance. Get them there own policy.........always!!!

Glass coverage is seperate through a company called AMI
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post

Anyone?
Well, I'd put you in touch with my wife Tom but she works for Wawanesa. Senior underwriter, after 20 years in the business as a broker and manager of a brokerage. Best bet would be to contact a broker, or a couple of brokers even, as they all don't deal with all of the insurance companies. Usually a broker will do business with a handful of companies only as the quoting systems for all of them would just be too much.

I find it strange that one poster mentioned playing one against the other. I've never heard of this happening as the companies have a very black and white premium quoting system, with certain discounts obviously available for various things. They don't, as far as I've ever heard, have leeway to reduce or change premium rates based on competitors quotes. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never heard of it. Generally, what the premium quoter spits out is what you pay, minus discounts.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 AM

I pay $2300 for my work truck, another $1000 for well head insurance, $350 for my other truck to just sit there. I have been dropped by 4 insurance companies in the last 15 months because I tow a trailer with breathing air tanks in it. I cant even make monthly payments, they want it up front. Apparantly tanks with compressed air are considered an explosive??? If thats the case any air sompressure in your garage is an explosive.

I cant complain though. When I baught my first truck in 05, an 04 dodge 1500, I was paying $4100. Alot depends on the vehical. For my 04 pickup, and the girlfriends 05 neon, the insurance on her car is more because it a higher risk vehical, even though the truck is worth 3 times as much. Its a cheap car, so alot of young peoiple buy them, young people wreck them, so higher risk apparenty. Neons and rangers have the highest insurance rates
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 AM

I found Meloche to be the best. They give you a discount if you are a graduate of the UofA. Almost all of my friends are with them(late 20's to mid 30's). Parents and their friends i find are with Canadian Direct. CDI quoted me more then Meloche and vice versa for my parents.

Age is such a major factor.... my favourite birthday was 25.... insurance dropped from 2300/yr to 1500/yr overnight on my old truck.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 AM

Default just sayin

you need lawyer related documents and pictures of everything your insuring. i repeat pictures. my small sheep barn blew over into a crumpled mess of tin and wood .i didnt have pictures of it so they wouldnt even come out to look at it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 AM

[B][QUOTE=ATF;1260197]I just switched over to Meloche from Canadian Direct. CDI's rates were lower at first but their level of service and dealing with appraisers and adjusters from BC when the car/trucks are in Alberta is ridiculous. Plus they nickel and dime all the body shops on their quotes except for their "preferred" shops.

This is false Info. If you knew anything about the way ICBC deals with claims in Alberta you would know the problem lies with them not CDI. The nickel and diming comes from the side of ICBC moreso than the side of CDI or even meloche monnex. ICBC would rather pay to get a vehicle put back on a flatdeck and shipped back to a ICBC shop over the line than have it repaired here because of the labour rate difference.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
My cousin runs an insurance brokerage in Calgary. She does the shopping for you. I hate insurance companies with a passion by the by....

PM me if you want the company name in Calgary...

She has me with Intact and I have an SUV, a full size car, house insurance with a ryder($175) My total for the year is $3179.00. They take it out monthly so no hassles.

The best advice I can give anyone on this board relates to kids. The best decision when your kids become the age to drive, is to NOT let them drive under your policy. They offered free for my daughter....big accident, vehicle written off....$10k a year insurance. Get them there own policy.........always!!!

Glass coverage is seperate through a company called AMI
Gotta start reading what I type lol
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM

And did you know, the color of your vehicle affects your premium amount?

When I was shopping for a vehicle, I would find one or two I liked and then call my insurance lady for a price. She told me white vehicles are cheaper to insure than colors, and that green is the highest. Why is that?, I asked. Reply---"white paint is cheapest to match, and the most visible on the road, while green is the hardest color to see, and statistics show the green vehicles get in more accidents."

I said that's crazy, but she assured me, that along with make and model and year, was how the quotes were based!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Whoops..
Sorry guys missed a 1... $1950.

And yes that is full coverage on everything.. 0 deductible on vehicles, and $1000 on house..
Meloche monnex..

BTW.. Wanawasa is one of the worst companies to be with.. It pays to shop around, even though I have been with meloche for 17 years, I've always shopped around and played them against other companies.
Meloche Monnex x 100...best insurance around, had a few claims lately and no screwing around, no arguments and reasonable price for coverage. I will reccomend them all day long.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Two recent incidents back to back... Both dismissed as nothing by you...when one was a red light violation because you weren't paying attention!?

Hey I would not insure you... 10 years of clean driving or not!... The odds of you getting into an incident in the next year statistically is up by 250% that means 2.5 times more likely to get into an accident than the AVERAGE driver... This also means the chances of severity also goes up because when you run over a pedestrian in a crosswalk because you are not paying attention this becomes an expensive fatality...

The best way to get your insurance rates down... PUT AWAY THE CELL PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE!....
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM

Just did some calculating.I pay my insurance every month.Doesn't seem to hurt as bad that way.I have my house insurance with full replacement on all the contents.A 32x48 quonsit that just has structure insurance as it is usually full of junk LOL
Also included is my garage/workshop where I have a lot of woodworking tools and at most times 3 or 4 guitars on the go and 2 Kubota lawn tractors each insured for replacement.There are 2 vehicles on my policy,a 2005 with full coverage and a 1992 K5 blazer with PL&PD on it.
Now I just took these numbers right off my online bank statement for Jan.It costs me $165 a month or $1980 a year.The deductible on the house and quonsit is $1000 and $500 on the vehicle. I am insured with Wawanessa.
Let me add that last may I got broke into and had a $27,000 claim to replace the stuff that was stolen.My insurance has went up $10 a month.Let me also add that I do not live in a $500,000 house and have been driving for 30 years with only one speeding ticket and 2 deer claims.
I also have to say the insurance company was fantastic when it come to my claim.No questions at all.The hardest part was getting the police to send them the police report which took over a month!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM

There are alot of factors when they figure out your rates. For example, in my case with AMA, if you have over 5 vehicles insured with them and one of them is 2009 and up, you get 10% off. Every vehicle over 3, gets 10% off. I end up getting approximately 50% off normal rates due to the amount of vehicles I insure and clean record with no claims in the last 5 years. I've also been with them for 20 years. I think they use a scale up to 7. 7 out of 7 being the best, which is the rate I get. Very few people get the 7 out of 7 rate. (going from memory here, so don't quote me on the above).

There's alot to the insurance game, but it is one of those necessary evils.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM

27 years old,

1995 taurus thats parked, 1996 f150 that i use recreationally, and a 2008 mazda 3 thats my daily driver.

vehicle insurance comes out to $158.16 per month

brand new duplex, both sides. One insured as personal with complete replacement value on everything, $6000 per mountain bike, cream of the crop policy. Other side insured for rental without appliances, but it actually about $200 more a year than the side I live in.

home policies come out to $278.20 per month

I have 2 accidents, one rear ender for not paying attention in rush hour traffic, actually laughing at someone standing on the side of the road who looked funny(got what i deserved for that one, karma for sure), and another rear ender last winter, hit an ice patch, slid about 100ft sideways and that was that.

guess that works out to $5236.32 a year through Meloche Monnex.

Think I should be shopping around for something better?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM

Did you ever notice the biggest and best buildings in the city have insurance and bank names on them?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Ok so a cell phone may not be to blame... i just posted that as an example...

If you want low insurance rates... drive defensively...

Best defensive driving advice I have ever heard...

Drive like everyone else is blind, drunk, stoned, or stupid and you won't be in an incident...

My BIL was t-boned at an intersection by someone who run a red light because they were not paying attention... then she tried to run and got stopped by a bystander... she was driving and industrial ambulance... and she was on the phone!....

So my bad that I lumped you in same category!...

Which category do you think your insurance company is lumping you in!...

If you are looking fro my sympathy on your insurance rates... go look between spit and syphilis in the dictionary