Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Default steam engine

anybody heard of a steam engine or tractor in the nordegg area. I now a guy that restores old relics for museums. I guess there getting quite rare. This one in nordegg im not sure if its a tractor or a stationary motor.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 PM

The retired railroad coots that run the steam locomotives at Heritage Park in Calgary would be good at fixing those too I'm sure. It'd be neat to see a fellow actually working a field from seeding to harvest with a steam powered tractor for sure.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:52 PM

Ownership of "found" steam tractors gets... entertaining. I understand there is a tractor group out of Barrhead found one, spent a lot of time and energy (and money?) recovering one from middle of nowhere, crown land, only to have the heirs of the people who abandoned it come and claim it without compensation. Not sure if this is the whole story though, as I have it from second hand, although I remember being told about the plannedrecovery efforts prior to the execution of the plans.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM

If it was abandoned on Crown Land and they want it back, and they somehow manage to get some form of judgement regarding it's possession; at least get a littering charge and fine thrown back at the estate........
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM

There's a pretty knowledgeable bunch of folks at the Pioneer acres site here in Irricana as well. They've restored steam and fuel plants stationary and mobile.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Don't know about Nordegg, but there's one in the Willmore, near an old coal exploration site. None of that corrosive sulphur laden air, like we have around here, so it was still in remarkable shape when we saw it. Would have taken a pic, but it was pouring rain, when we were there. I'm sure it's a historical relic and it will stay there.

While we're at it, anybody driving up the Coalcamp road must have seen Schneidmiller's relic parked beside the road. Originally belonged to Great West Logging, vanished in the big flood that destroyed their operation around 1908. Keith found it in the river, a few years ago and restored it.

Grizz
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 PM

these big steam engines are quite impressive. ill tell them about the one in willmore.