Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Comparing Ramcats to Slick Trick Mags.

Last week I stopped into WSS Nanaimo and thought I'd pick up another pack of Slick Trick Mags. They didn't have any, but as I was killing a little time, I thought I'd do some browsing. I saw the Smoke Ramcats on the shelf, and I remembered reading great reviews, so I grabbed a pack of 100 grains. The next day I was on a friends acreage and decided to compare the flight of the Ramcats to my field points. At 50 yards, bang on with my field points. I looked at the designed of the Ramcats, and could see how they would force the arrow to spin, thereby increasing accuracy. Nice! The head itself is a hybrid. The normal position of the blades are swept back, but in the event of not passing through, the blades are sharpened front and back. So any opposite force, like an animal running with the arrow in it, the blades would move into a 90 degree angle, and do more damage as the arrow worked it's way back out, hopefully causing a larger blood trail.
So compared to the 4 blade Slick Trick Mag, the Ramcat is a 3 blade head, with larger blades. The trocar tip is larger than the ST Mags. It flies the same as ST's on my bow. The blades are out of the package sharp, (front and back) just like STs. The blades of the Ramcat don't seem as thick or strong as the ST's, but I do believe they will do some major damage on an animal if the shot is where it's suppose to be. I think a shoulder shot may be more of an issue with the Ramcats. The one thing, that don't care for with the Ramcats, is that after one shot into a broadhead target the blades were quite loose. I had to tightened them up with a .050 hex key, which is a little inconvenient if you don't happen to have one with you.
So... I will use the Ramcats and Slick Trick Mags for deer this year. I hope I will be able to compare their performance on animals, and post the results. Now comes the long wait until deer season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram vs st.jpg (56.8 KB, 184 views)