Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Cold weather vehicle/equipment/plumbing issues

With the cold, Murphies law always seems to kick in with me. Never fails!

On Monday my battery was toast on my commuter car (05 Jetta TDI), so when I went to pop the hood to put a new one in, the plastic handle broke off in my hands! Was I ever ****ed! Took me about an hour in the cold to get what was left of the handle off and open it using pliers to pull the cable. Not the easiest thing to do with numb fingers!

I'm sure there are others on the forum who have had cold weather issues with their vehicles and other things. Lets hear them!

Last edited by AbAngler; 01-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM

2 winters ago it was colder than it is today. Fired up the diesel, backed out in to alley and truck dies. Felled fuel line. So go fire up my half ton to try and pull it out of the alley. Let it run for a bit, get in turn the steering wheel and blew a seal on rack and pinion. LOL at least I could still drive it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM

On Saturday night we came home from Malanka to no water in the house, heat tape on water line under trailer quit. Trip to Ft. Sask. on Sunday and an hour under the house and we have water. Monday morning go to feed the cows, load the feedwagon with silage hook up and blow 2 hydralic lines. Trip to Smoky Lake and 2 hours on my back in the cold and my "girls" got fed. Mother Nature 2 - 4theredneck 0

Last edited by 4thredneck; 01-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Good ones! I changed the title of the thread to include all the pain in the A55 things that can break with the cold.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Good ones! I changed the title of the thread to include all the pain in the A55 things that can break with the cold.
Good now I can quit editing.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM

Unhappy grrr & brrr

The day before yesterday, Blower motor quit, new blower, then the blower resistor quite, new resistor. Getting fuel for the ice auger 1/2hr later battery crapped out, the next day go to start the truck and anti freeze all over, the 7 month old rad split on the left bank. all this after last week a wheel bearing blew and the week before my intake manifold gasket. grr just cant win, dang chevy
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
The day before yesterday, Blower motor quit, new blower, then the blower resistor quite, new resistor. Getting fuel for the ice auger 1/2hr later battery crapped out, the next day go to start the truck and anti freeze all over, the 7 month old rad split on the left bank. all this after last week a wheel bearing blew and the week before my intake manifold gasket. grr just cant win, dang chevy
lol! Thank you. I'm not as ****ed off anymore!

I can imagine the evil things you would do to Mr. Murphy if you ever got a hold of him!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM

And the command start in my new Ranger doesn't work until the vehicle is warmed up
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
lol! Thank you. I'm not as ****ed off anymore!

I can imagine the evil things you would do to Mr. Murphy if you ever got a hold of him!
Well before the rad went I told my truck one more thing and im sorry but your getting burned down haha, rad goes and sure enough its to damn cold out to burn the thing lmao
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM

A few years back right after my divorce I was renting an acreage outside of High River. I had lived there about 2 weeks.

My hunting Burbs was stuck in a huge snow drift over the fire pit( that I did not know was there).I get a call that they are ready to get my small suv in for long awaited hail damage repair so I take it in and the loaner they give me is a spiffy new F250 4x4.
Great I figure- Might as well pull out my stuck burbs since I have the truck - cold like today out and I am alone so I start the burbs and put it in neutral and go to hook up a tug strap.

Forgot how long the F250 was and backed into my neighbors fence post and sheared it off at ground level. Should have quit there but that would have made sense.

Nose up to the rear of the burbs and hook up the tug strap with big hook.

Hit the gas on the F250 line goes taut-hear a snap and watch billowy clouds of coolant steaming from the front of the rental truck- Turns out the hook went thru the grill vents and is imbedded in the rental truck rad.

Now I am stuck 8 kms from town- both trucks dead-neighbors fence lying on its side and his horses investigating a possible escape route.

Some days does not pay to get out of bed. Trying to come up with a reasonable explanation for imbedded hook in rad!

And figure that there are probably better ways to go introduce yourself to the new neighbor.

Last edited by omega50; 01-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Ford? lol
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
And the command start in my new Ranger doesn't work until the vehicle is warmed up
Check the adjustment on the hood switch. Seen that before.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
My Pathfinder is the same after about -20 remote start will not work unless it is plugged in. In fact would not start at all yesterday am, engine would not turn over. Plugged it in & 1/2hr later no problem.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Works just fine when it's warm.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
Ford? lol
No hence why i named her chevy lmao, if I had an import wouldnt have had these issues, but the wife hates imports and we had to comprimise, bet now she wishes i had the 98 toyota I wanted hehehe
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Spent this morning on the side of the road changing an idler pulley & a surpentine belt on a Duramax. Lots of fun when its -35. (But coulda been much worse)

Almost had to change the underwear flying up to a set of lights and realizing the 7200 pound truck was missing power breaks.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 PM

My dad always said the real cold weather will tell you if you have issues with a vehicle. My bad luck in cold weather has always been finding out I need a new battery. So far so good knock on wood.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
My dad always said the real cold weather will tell you if you have issues with a vehicle. My bad luck in cold weather has always been finding out I need a new battery. So far so good knock on wood.
Friend of mine is visiting from Drumheller. She was driving down 16th ave and all of the sudden she had no steering and sideswiped an SUV.

Steering linkage busted. Likely aggravated from the cold. Glad it didn't happen while she was doing highway speed!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM

30 minutes with the hair dryer and no more frozen water pipes..