Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Just like baiting - Either make it illegal to possess (a cam with a SIM card) or forget trying to regulate it.

These stupid debates about timing, season, etc etc are moronic. And completely unenforceable.

And ya, IMO night vision optics, cell cams, and bait (unless it’s a plant in the ground) are unfair advantages. Need a Minister with some cojones to get this nonsense straightened out and put the pretend hunter-whiners in line.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:48 PM

I use them. They r a monster advantage.
If they ban them I cant say I blame em for doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 12:30 AM

Default Big bucks

I have many cams and never killed any of the big deer captured on cams, but have others new to the area. Lol
Cellular cams are not hurting deer numbers. The person using one to their advantage is typically a committed hunter and likely harvesting an animal with or without the use of a camera. Like giving black bears diabetes with gummy bears and donuts, the hunter can be selective. You only have one tag, and prices are not declining, and cellular cameras add a new interest to hunting and watching animals in the wild. Banning because a handful of people who are ethically and morally challenged may use them inappropriately so they can sleep in isnt stopping those slugs from anything.
Its kinda like the firearms prohibition, punish all because psychos misuse them?
Then its deer scent, game calls, etc
Old 04-06-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Wondering how long they’ll last in Alberta ? F&W guys I talked to said it’s already in the works, maybe by end of 2021.
is it a fair chase issue?
Old 04-06-2021, 12:20 PM

I don't use one, kinda thrifty that way. Also I hunt mostly crown land/grazing leases.
I could see them being a huge benefit to catching trespassers and poachers though.

Maybe F&W should use them?
Old 04-06-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Maybe F&W should use them?
They do... Just not enough of them.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 04-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I think cell game cameras are bull sheet and i hope they are banned. Montana had banned ALL cameras during hunting season but now allow the standard non transmitting / cellular models . We already have the best rifles , scopes , rangefinders and bino's.
Similar to drones they are an ugly encroachment on the wildlife we are supposed to respect.
I know there are many arguments , distance to travel to check a camera , i'm not disturbing the area , blah blah. Doesn't fly with me. But until they are banned it's a free world so to each his own.
I totally agree. If you don't think you have enough of an advantage over the animal then stay on the couch and leave it for someone who actually enjoys hunting and respects the animal. This technology should have been banned at the onset.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
I totally agree. If you don't think you have enough of an advantage over the animal then stay on the couch and leave it for someone who actually enjoys hunting and respects the animal. This technology should have been banned at the onset.
Can we ban high powered scopes with turrets, and discharging a firearm at an animal well within 100yards of a vehicle instead? Lots of valid reasons for this both ethnics and safety wise

Many other things could be added to potential hunting items or activities people would like to see banned but it doesn’t mean we should

Honestly have only used standard cams so far but I do have two cellular cams I got for Christmas but have not used yet. If cellular cams are banned mine will just be run without the cellular feature and would not be the end of the world
Old 04-06-2021, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
LOL! Let me guess, you’re out there hunting in a loin cloth and a stick and string
Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
LOL! Let me guess, you’re out there hunting in a loin cloth and a stick and string
Exactly... people talk like a cellular camera is the reason some people fill their freezers and they don’t

LC
Old 04-06-2021, 06:16 PM

Meh. Seems like more good old fashioned fudd’ism. The new piece of technology is evil and unethical. Happens pretty well every time. I will however be extremely interested and excited to see how some folks react when it’s somthing they do use being banned. Particularly of the justifications of why it’s really quite fair

I mean personally I don’t think it’s fair that someone who’s too fat to walk a mile can take an ohv countless miles into the back country to go hunting. If they had to walk the whole way they would never see those animals. Luckily I also realize that’s it probably not a big deal and certainly my dislike doesn’t warrant the banning of it.

Last edited by hilt134; 04-06-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:07 PM

Ridiculous, just a bunch of old fudds out there upset someone has a cell cam. This rule would be as silly as the no 223 caliber ban for deer all the while allowing 9mm carbines to be a thing and legal. What’s next, no possession of 2 way radios and cell phones? Only smoke signals and black powder rifles? No hunting with in 24 hours of using a phone someone might tip a guy off can’t have that! You still have to shoot the game the camera doesn't do that for you from your phone.

Last edited by Dubious; 04-06-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 PM

I look for sign , like tracks , scrapes , rubs. The world is plug full of all this cell phone bull tweet. And yah i'm an old fudd and shot my share of good whitetail. I mean a guy can't even get off his arse and go for a good healthy walk and check his trail cam ??...............almost pitiful
Old 04-06-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I have many cams and never killed any of the big deer captured on cams, but have others new to the area. Lol
Cellular cams are not hurting deer numbers. The person using one to their advantage is typically a committed hunter and likely harvesting an animal with or without the use of a camera. Like giving black bears diabetes with gummy bears and donuts, the hunter can be selective. You only have one tag, and prices are not declining, and cellular cameras add a new interest to hunting and watching animals in the wild. Banning because a handful of people who are ethically and morally challenged may use them inappropriately so they can sleep in isnt stopping those slugs from anything.
Its kinda like the firearms prohibition, punish all because psychos misuse them?
Then its deer scent, game calls, etc

Bingo! This is all that needs to be said on this topic!
Old 04-06-2021, 08:53 PM

So because I have a cell trail cam that means all I’m doing is sitting in my arse?? How short sited and ridiculous to say. For spring bear my baits are 3 hrs away from where I live, I have a young family, a full time job and several other things that occupy my time. I enjoy getting out and doing the scouting, setting the baits and yes putting up my cell cam but I do not have time to be making 6 hour round trips to check a bait that is still standing or has very little activity. I like to make the most of my time as I don’t have a lot of it. It’s amazing how a group of people who enjoy the same things can be so negative and close minded on the new and efficient way of doing things. You go for your walk and enjoy it and quit being so negative toward things that you don’t understand, or maybe even take a moment and open your mind and look at it through someone else’s eyes.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 PM

Boone & Crockett Statement - Big Game Records Eligibility (Section 3)

The club has decided that explaining the rationale behind each of the rules in it's hunter entry affidavit will lead to a better understanding of why it EXCLUDES entry into it's record books of any big game animal harvested through the use of the following methods , techniques , technology , or under the following conditions :

Trail cameras can be a helpful tool in game management and selective hunting. The use of devices that transmit captured or live images or video from the field back to the hunter crosses the line of fair chase.

You go for your walk and enjoy it and quit being so negative toward things that you don’t understand, ......Oh i do understand.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
So because I have a cell trail cam that means all I’m doing is sitting in my arse?? How short sited and ridiculous to say. For spring bear my baits are 3 hrs away from where I live, I have a young family, a full time job and several other things that occupy my time. I enjoy getting out and doing the scouting, setting the baits and yes putting up my cell cam but I do not have time to be making 6 hour round trips to check a bait that is still standing or has very little activity. I like to make the most of my time as I don’t have a lot of it. It’s amazing how a group of people who enjoy the same things can be so negative and close minded on the new and efficient way of doing things. You go for your walk and enjoy it and quit being so negative toward things that you don’t understand, or maybe even take a moment and open your mind and look at it through someone else’s eyes.
If youvarevrefferingbto Full Curl Earl"s post #33, I think you missed his point .
You both of ate the same mind when it comes to cellular trail cams
Cat
Old 04-07-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I look for sign , like tracks , scrapes , rubs. The world is plug full of all this cell phone bull tweet. And yah i'm an old fudd and shot my share of good whitetail. I mean a guy can't even get off his arse and go for a good healthy walk and check his trail cam ??...............almost pitiful
6 hours on the road round trip to check my prairie trail cams or pay 15$ a month and get pictures from home. If you dont like them don't use them and scroll on by leave it alone to the people who do like them. if there was a game I was targeting out there it wouldn't be standing in front of the camera by the time I drove out there. The thing that is pitiful these days is special interests thinking they need to get involved in other peoples business because they don't agree with it, this is how we got the current gun ban.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
A person has to look for all of those signs and thoroughly scout out the territory they are going too hunt before even considering putting up any kind of trail cam or even a tree stand.
You are coming off like you are ranting in some of your posts.
Cat
Old 04-07-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A person has to look for all of those signs and thoroughly scout out the territory they are going too hunt before even considering putting up any kind of trail cam or even a tree stand.
Cat
You are 100% correct

There is a reason I hike around the bush covering a min of 15km a month and sometimes do that or more in one day scouting. Last year I tagged my buck in early Nov and still spent the rest of November into December scouting scrape lines. All winter up till now I am still make trips to search for pinch points and travel corridors. Come June I will start running cams again too. I will likely be rotating them through locations till late September till I choose a handful of ambush points

But some assume that cams take away all the effort needed for scouting

Some people need to understand that it’s not about being lazy it’s the enjoyment of the pursuit and learning as much as possible about the animals. Spending all year formulating a plan and executing it to see if the theory you have come up with is correct

I guess I take too much pride in the effort I put into my laziness
Old 04-07-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You are 100% correct

There is a reason I hike around the bush covering a min of 15km a month and sometimes do that or more in one day scouting. Last year I tagged my buck in early Nov and still spent the rest of November into December scouting scrape lines. All winter up till now I am still make trips to search for pinch points and travel corridors. Come June I will start running cams again too. I will likely be rotating them through locations till late September till I choose a handful of ambush points

But some assume that cams take away all the effort needed for scouting

Some people need to understand that it’s not about being lazy it’s the enjoyment of the pursuit and learning as much as possible about the animals. Spending all year formulating a plan and executing it to see if the theory you have come up with is correct

I guess I take too much pride in the effort I put into my laziness

This is where I am at with this subject.

All a camera does is tell me if my theories about game movement patterns throughout different seasons is on track or was a meandering one off.

It does save me some gas and time when my work/life balance is complete garbage. The notice I get from the camera of a new photo brings me hope and reminds me there is a light at the end of the tunnel and certainly brightens my workday. Gets me excited.

I do prefer the video setting as I love watching them do what they do, but certainly not sending that via a cell cam.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
and the people that are pro cell camera gave me a few shots back , because they believe what they think. That's fine , like i said it's a free world. Just stated my opinion. I'll stick with Fair Chase
Old 04-07-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
and the people that are pro cell camera gave me a few shots back , because they believe what they think. That's fine , like i said it's a free world. Just stated my opinion. I'll stick with Fair Chase
You can use a cell camera selectively and still adhere to fair chase. P&Y clarified that for archers.

LC
Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Fair chase in some people's minds is not the sMe as others.
Hunting with hounds, using tree stands, and yes compound bows are examples of what some people consider Fair chase , yet others strongly oppose these methods.
Coss bows is yet another , and so are I line muzzle loaders .
One should not be so quick to throw the term " Fair chase " around and come off as some sort of holier than thou hunter . Same as trying to define the term " hunting"
Apparently according to many if you drive around scouting and happen to see an animal and stalk it less than X number of yards you are not a hunter either .
The P&Y and the B&C are only the end all and be all to those who perceive to that perception of a trophy .
So , you have stated your opinion, this is mine , have a great day.
Cat
Cat
Old 04-07-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Fair chase in some people's minds is not the same as others.
Hunting with hounds, using tree stands, and yes compound bows are examples of what some people consider Fair chase , yet others strongly oppose these methods.
Cross bows is yet another , and so are inline muzzle loaders .
One should not be so quick to throw the term " Fair chase " around and come off as some sort of holier than thou hunter . Same as trying to define the term " hunting"
Apparently according to many if you drive around scouting and happen to see an animal and stalk it less than X number of yards you are not a hunter either .
The P&Y and the B&C are only the end all and be all to those who perceive to that perception of a trophy .
So , you have stated your opinion, this is mine , have a great day.
Cat
Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM

fair enough cat. have a good day.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:52 PM

I hunt on the property I live on and have a couple cell cams - for security and for hunting. I also have a couple of regular cams for hunting.

Last fall my cell camera at one of my tree stands was kind enough to let me know about this scab who was hunting and trespassing about 30mins before I was planning to walk into the bush for an evening hunt.

Thankfully I seen the photo instantly, went on a bit of a “mission” and ended up having a conversation with this person about an hour or so later. (Face not shown because I was able to get my point across with this guy...)

I also watched a couple of really nice bucks from the comfort of my living room all throughout hunting season. And guess what... they never showed up when I was out there and I harvested 0.0 deer last fall. For my situation cell vs no-cell doesn’t change anything for me because other than it’s a novelty item and is no advantage to me with respect to hunting harvests.

We have so many other tech advantages with gear that make “fair chase” an impossible thing to define and it’s completely subjective in many cases. I can kill a trophy from a mile away with a high powered scope but I can’t get a picture of it on my cell phone - seems this might be a ridiculous argument.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:03 AM

I use my cameras for mostly the same reason. Hunting poachers . The scumbags and idiots that I caught and confronted would dearly love th have my cameras banned. . Lol
Old 04-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
I use my cameras for mostly the same reason. Hunting poachers . The scumbags and idiots that I caught and confronted would dearly love th have my cameras banned. . Lol
Why would your cameras be banned ? You can use them off season for scouting, and year round for security.

The only thing you wouldn’t be able to do is use them for hunting during an open season.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Why would your cameras be banned ? You can use them off season for scouting, and year round for security.

The only thing you wouldn’t be able to do is use them for hunting during an open season.
The law then means you can use cellular cameras on private land and not on public. I’m assuming they aren’t using these for poacher protection in the vicinity of their house. Pretty sure there’s also no way to make sure they only photograph people and not animals.

I say don’t restrict them but if they do get restricted just flat out ban them. Makes the laws nice and easy then