Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
All I'm suggesting is using Net pressure Vs Gross (peak) Pressure... very similar to using Gross horsepower vs Net horsepower in an auto engine.Its the Horsepower that gets to the pavement that does the real work. In a firearm, I simply maintain that is the net muzzle pressure that does the real work.. (resulting velocity).. not the gross pressure. The gross pressure is just a figure that can be measured, primarily for safety reasons, as opposed to the measurable true net pressure... or average pressure, for that matter. If the gross pressure is too high, no doubt, there will be an engine or drivetrain failure somewhere along the way.The same principle goes for a firearm.

Now, for the sake of teaching me a lesson for being so stupid for even daring to mention it, will you, or Elk ,school me precisely, on what the problem is with using net muzzle pressures to consistently, and accurately, determine the resulting muzzle velocities.. I'm listening.
If by net muzzle pressure you mean average barrel pressure I don’t know why you call it muzzle pressure. But I know from pistol carbine rounds if you load powders of different burn rates to the same velocity the slower powder will require a bigger charge and has more report because of the higher muzzle pressure even for the same speed. Of course the bigger charge has produced more gas for the same barrel volume it’s a bigger bang at the muzzle without producing higher velocity. For some reason the faster charge has accelerated the bullet more efficiently and the higher muzzle pressure of the bigger slower charge means wasted energy not more velocity in this instance