Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2020, 06:14 PM

Default Pigeon Reports

Just checking into how things are at Pigeon? Anyone catching anything? Was out last weekend and had no luck.

I've seen a few tents out there... just wondering if anyone is into whites yet?

I hope to have better results this Sunday when I head back.

JB
Old 12-16-2020, 07:18 PM

was out today ice was from 11 - 16 inches the walleye were biting good , never seen a white or a pike. not sure where mister white is
Old 12-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
was out today ice was from 11 - 16 inches the walleye were biting good , never seen a white or a pike. not sure where mister white is
I was hoping the Wallys were on. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
sorry one more thing... what area were you? Mulhurst by chance?
Old 12-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Default test

test message jb
Old 12-18-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFranklin View Post
sorry one more thing... what area were you? Mulhurst by chance?
was middle of the lake ,
was back out the there this afternoon the bite was slow between 2 of us landed half a dozen and seen about a dozen walleye and one pike , over a foot of ice everywhere we drilled .
Old 12-22-2020, 09:47 AM

was at silver beach yesterday afternoon only seen a burbot
went over to Sandholm and seen white fish
Old 12-23-2020, 05:06 PM

16 inches of ice off Sandholm beach today
Old 12-31-2020, 12:52 PM

I'm just wondering if there's more stupid people out there nowadays, or if it's just cuz I'm getting older and smarter LOL, actually I think I remember doing that in my 20s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm just wondering if there's more stupid people out there nowadays, or if it's just cuz I'm getting older and smarter LOL, actually I think I remember doing that in my 20s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better
Old 01-01-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better
Unfortunately this is true I think. And it will only get worse now that more vehicles are out there. Everyone will thinks it’s fine, the more tracks they see. The number of trucks that seem to think 70km/hr is a safe enough speed is unreal. Guys might think it’s ballzy but as I’ve gotten older, that’s not the word that I’d use for it.
I’ll stick to the quad to get around until we get a really good cold snap. Lots of fresh cracks seen again today as we rolled back to the shore.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:01 PM

there were trucks out in the middle of the lake today .
Old 01-01-2021, 07:03 PM

Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.
how was it off of silver beach , Sandholm was slow this afternoon .
Old 01-29-2021, 06:00 PM

Default Burbot

Looking at going to pigeon this weekend and interested in going after some burbot. Any tips?
Old 01-29-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etaps View Post
Looking at going to pigeon this weekend and interested in going after some burbot. Any tips?
I’d be surprised if you got one. They are there. Get one every now and then. You fishing into the night by chance?
Old 01-29-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’d be surprised if you got one. They are there. Get one every now and then. You fishing into the night by chance?
I plan on staying till late around 10.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I plan on staying till late around 10.
Good luck. Hopefully someone else can chime in and point you in the right direction.....I’ve never night fished pigeon. Maybe that’s when they come out to play......
Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Default last day Sunday

Quote:
Good luck !
Keep in mind burbot closes on Pigeon Feb 1
Old 01-29-2021, 07:23 PM

only caught 2 burbots this ice season one at silver beach and one off sandholm beach both in 12 feet of water . good luck , i have not seen any others this year,
Old 02-01-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:

How did you make out on the Burbot?

A couple of years a go while fishing burbot I kept catching walleye full of small burbot. I have since only caught one burbot in Pigeon so think they are fewer and far between now.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 PM

I fish the middle on the east side of the heave and see alot of people fishing on the west side of the heave south of Sandholm.I have not seen any reports of anyone catching whites except Soiler and Fish 99.Im assuming thats what everyone out there is looking for but suprised not to hear more feedback on how they are doing.It is not a secret to whats out there but im just curious if anyone is having luck or just catching walleyes.Ice is 24 where im at so extensions will be needed soon.Good luck to everyone and i will keep trying to land a 60cm walleye.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:03 AM

I caught one whitefish on Saturday , my first at Pigeon.
I’ve gone out 4 times previously to get skunked.
A beauty 23” at 28’ of water, fish was at 15’
I think it was a bit of a fluke that I caught it.
My fish finder helped some to be ready for it.
It put up a great fight at that size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C88699D8-557F-41F1-B573-1927A7B780A1.jpg (40.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-02-2021, 06:09 PM

The people you see fishing by the heave south of sandholm are definatly fishing the basin for whites. It’s 30fow and myself have had success out there fishing whites.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like I should be OK to take the pickup out there still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 03:56 PM

Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Went to pigeon yesterday, fished out at Grandview and at the provincial park, didn’t see any fish or have any bites at both places. Access was good at crystal springs and the provincial park access wasn’t to bad, looked to be a decent amount of people out fishing but not many were catching. Still lots of ice on the lake but didn’t need a extension. RCMP were out to yesterday going from tent to tent doing checks. Still was a good day on the ice.
We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
We were out at Grandview yesterday as well, drug the frame of my truck across the heave at shore. Some kind fellow with a chainsaw made the access a little more passable but you still might bottom out on it.

I wouldn't say the fishing was lights out but we managed to fill 5 class B tags. Pretty happy with that as one day is likely all we will be spending on Pigeon this year and RCMP mentioned that they weren't running in to many catching so feeling lucky.

Rattle baits and jaw jackers set with smaller p.k. flutter fish and a minnow hooked in the middle squeeked out a few for us. All fish came in 20-22'.
Yes that access looked a bit high so we accessed at crystal springs and it was better. Good to know they were biting on that. Congrats on filling your tags 👍
Old 03-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Any change in the ice thickness yet?