Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 05:31 PM

Default Ladder test

Given the shortage of components for reloaders these days, I am wondering what is the best way to conduct a ladder test. I am loading 4 charges in each bullet in 0.3 grain increments and I’m concerned about getting accurate results - ie. barrel fowling, barrel temperature, etc.

Would you recommend all one charge at one time or one charge moving up through the 10 charges periodically? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Kevin
Old 08-11-2022, 06:26 PM

Last edited by tranq78; 08-11-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 PM

Are you using a chrono? If you are, maybe do a Saterlee test with 1 round at each charge. Give time for barrel cooling between each shot.

Start near max load and move down in increments--will save yourself from wasting a couple test rounds this way.

Find the charges that give a flat spot of velocity on a graph, and then use a few rounds of that charge at varying seating depth as last step to finalize accuracy.

You can probably do all this in 12-15 shots, depending on how fussy you are.

If you don't have chronograph, then I would load 3 rounds at near max charge, then move down in increments. I find my guns have 2 accuracy loads, one near max load and one near the middle. So starting near max saves a bit on components as I likely will hit an accuracy node fairly quickly. Let barrel cool every 3 shots. This method probably requires more shooting, which uses up more components. You may still also need a few more fine tuning shots after the initial ladder test.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by tranq78; 08-11-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:58 PM

When doing ladders I do .5 apart and use 3 rounds depending on case capacity dial it in when you see the sweet spots and once you have the powder charge change seating depth until I get the results I want. If using a crono I use the Saterlee test it’s faster and uses less rounds over all, I usually have a know test area and start .2 apart find my flat spots and then switch to firing 3 to confirm. Once you have that it’s just usually dialling in seating depth and neck tension to perfect the group sd and es.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:16 PM

This is what I do for hunting rifles. Clean rifle. First find touch of lands. Then find the middle powder charge. Middle being half way between min and max. Then for a small case under 40 gr. I start at the middle and work up in .3 gr charges, in larger cases go .5 grain. I go from middle to a little past max. Load two of each at the OAL touching lands. Start with the lightest load and go till you see pressure. The load right under pressure is max for that rifle. Look for the best 2 shot group, hopefully there are 2 groups that are decent side by side. Go home clean the rifle. Then build loads with the powder weight between 2 good ones or the best one if only one. These loads will be shortened OAL by .004 for each load, I usually go to .032 off of touch. So 3 loads of touch, 3 loads touch -.004, 3 of touch -.008, till -.032. One of those should be pretty good. From there you can play with the powder a little bit, up and down.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-11-2022, 10:31 PM
Banned

IMO, I would do one at 500 yards and watch your chrony velocities. In my experience the 3 velocities that are the closest are usually the tightest vertical spread.