Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 10:14 AM

Default Good Deals On Left Handed Guns

Being left handed I know just how hard it is to find good deals on LH guns, especially the more rare versions. Thought I would start this thread to help out all the Lefties looking for a new rifle.

Anyone looking for a 7 Rem Mag in Left Hand, P&D has a used one in great shape. It is a Rem 700 BLD, skip line checkering era, so after regular cut checkering and before pressed, mid 90s I would guess, with a Leupold Scope for $900.

They also had some new LH rifles in various brands like, CZ, Tikka, Browning, Savage, at some pretty good prices.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Being left handed I know just how hard it is to find good deals on LH guns, especially the more rare versions. Thought I would start this thread to help out all the Lefties looking for a new rifle.

Anyone looking for a 7 Rem Mag in Left Hand, P&D has a used one in great shape. It is a Rem 700 BLD, skip line checkering era, so after regular cut checkering and before pressed, mid 90s I would guess, with a Leupold Scope for $900.

They also had some new LH rifles in various brands like, CZ, Tikka, Browning, Savage, at some pretty good prices.
I'm a lefty as well.

I wish places like CGN would have a lefty sub forum in their buy and sell guns. Lefties could put all rimfire, centre fire and shot guns in there.

Smart sellers put "LH" in the post titled, but even then you have to scroll through pages looking for that LH in the title. Sure you could search function, but I don't think "LH" could be sereached for since its not long enough.

I did messaged the admin there with the LH forum idea and was told no.

The nice thing about being a lefty is that I find any gun I list gets picked up right away.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I'm a lefty as well.

I wish places like CGN would have a lefty sub forum in their buy and sell guns. Lefties could put all rimfire, centre fire and shot guns in there.

Smart sellers put "LH" in the post titled, but even then you have to scroll through pages looking for that LH in the title. Sure you could search function, but I don't think "LH" could be sereached for since its not long enough.

The nice thing about being a lefty is that I find any gun I list gets picked up right away.
Search trick, put in LH a comma, then left, another comma then hand. It will pull lh even if it is the only match.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I'm a lefty as well.

I was always worried about selling LH guns, but they seem to go quick for myself as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I'm a lefty as well.

I’ve also messaged them with a hard “no” response. Bizarre really considering some of the sub sell categories they have created.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:58 AM

It is interesting that lefties make up about 10% of the public but almost 25% of shooters are left handed. I too have never had any trouble selling left handed guns, and at very good prices. Interestingly, lefties tend to have higher disposable incomes on average, and I think that helps explain why the higher end left handed guns still sell so well. That and we are used to limited availability so we tend to buy gear that lasts forever, and Sako, Mauser, Weatherby, Cooper etc fit that Paradigm. Now to be fair, I also have owned a lot of Savages because they gave me access to variety and easy barrel swaps, that no one else offered. It is WAY better being a left handed shooter today than it was back in 1968, far more choice today.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:11 AM
AO Sponsor

I am always watching too for lefty items! Wish there was a separate section as well...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-12-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am always watching too for lefty items! Wish there was a separate section as well...

Just google Firearms for misfits and reprobates and you're golden.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:38 PM

Im outnumbered in our household. The boss, and our boy are both lefties. I think they come from the devil.

I can't go in the kitchen when she's fixing dinner. Seeing her cutting veggies with one of her Japanese kitchen knives, with her left hand, just freaks me out. I foresee missing fingers, but it never happens.

She has a left handed savage axis 2 in 7MM-08, and a .22 savage mark 2 also in left hand. Both accurate firearms. I even switched her mag release on her Glock to left hand!

I'd like to get her more left handers eventually.

Sorry this thread gave me an opportunity to rant about it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2022, 09:33 AM

The other problem with being a lefty is the limited number of cartridges that are available.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:24 PM
AO Sponsor

I saw an old add in the classified Dean had posted with the 22-250 and it made me cry it sold before I had ever known I wanted one... haha! Uggggh...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=406631
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-13-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I saw an old add in the classified Dean had posted with the 22-250 and it made me cry it sold before I had ever known I wanted one... haha! Uggggh...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=406631
Oooh, I was able to handle a similar one to that one at P&D the other day, but it had a thumbhole stock. My trembling fingers were reaching for my credit card when I heard a voice in my head saying, "Stinky, maybe we should hold off for a while...". Odd, the voice sounded a lot like Incredigirl's... (shrug)

I'm the only lefty in my family - but oddly, Incredigirl and the boys do hockey and golf Left-handed - and I do those right-handed... We are a strange (but lovable) family...
Old 08-14-2022, 05:09 PM

I’m still lookong for the unicorn Sako carbonlite in left hand, -06. Just sayin.
Tullfan
Old 08-15-2022, 03:19 AM

Default Looking for

I'm looking for the very rare Left-hand Weatherby Mark V 240wby
Old 08-15-2022, 06:39 AM

P&D, Prophet River, Elwood Epps, all have something left handed or ambidextrous in their inventories.

I’m constantly looking and pondering and as of late just not getting that fire in my belly like I used to, heck I’m starting to think about down sizing my current firearms, hopefully those feelings pass.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-15-2022, 07:27 AM

Bartons big country has a section just for lefties. Bought a Christensen arms from them, easy fast and super helpful. I look there first if I’m in the mood.

Tullfan
Old 08-15-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Bartons big country has a section just for lefties. Bought a Christensen arms from them, easy fast and super helpful. I look there first if I’m in the mood.

Tullfan
That is not something I knew. When I last lived in GP, Barton's had almost no LH guns. New owners must have expanded the choices. Will have to check out their site. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:03 PM

Barton’s and Bashaw usually have a better selection of left handed rifles than some of the bigger name stores.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 AM

CGN has a whole raft of Left Hand friendly levers listed for sale today, in case anyone is interested. Some at really good prices.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:28 PM

There is a pretty good deal on CGN for a custom made 17 Fireball in Left hand. They are great gopher and varmint guns, that give you about 500 rounds per pound of powder. Costs about the same to shoot aws a 17 HMR. I have had quite a few and still have one I use a lot on gophers. Much prefer it to the 17 HH. Much better brass than the hornet based 17 HH and better speed with about the same amount of powder.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:45 PM

The last time a friend of mine (who is a lefty) and I stopped at Trapper Gord’s near DeBolt, he and I were amazed by their inventory of lefties. Just an FYI for any of you lefties that need an excuse to stop a few miles after finishing off a crooked creek donut.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Barton’s and Bashaw usually have a better selection of left handed rifles than some of the bigger name stores.
Years ago I bought a LH Tikka T3 stainless in 260rem, under a box of shells through it… $700. I couldn’t not buy it.

LC
Old 09-04-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Years ago I bought a LH Tikka T3 stainless in 260rem, under a box of shells through it… $700. I couldn’t not buy it.

LC
Hey LC,

If that's the one that was a Bashaw Sports some years back I still regret not moving on it faster! Think it was $699?

Lefty Tikkas in such non mainstream calibers are very rare now.

I later found (on the AO buy and sell) a lefty stainless 7-08 T3 which has now been made redundant by a much nicer 7-08 lefty ultralight...

Last edited by brewster29; 09-04-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

... for any of you lefties that need an excuse to stop a few miles after finishing off a Crooked Creek donut.
I literally walked past the trailer 15 minutes ago, stopped and smelled the vanilla, then decided it was too early for a bucket of mini-donuts and kept walking...!

Old 09-08-2022, 06:22 PM

I shoot left but have never shot a left hand action gun. What would the benefit be?
Old 09-08-2022, 06:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I shoot left but have never shot a left hand action gun. What would the benefit be?
Depends on the firearm... Cycling the bolt, ejection of casing direction, cheek weld on a non-universal sided stock. All kinds of reasons it may be right or wrong specific to the individual.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 09-08-2022, 07:17 PM

Only detrimental issue I’ve ever had was with a semi shotgun getting crap in the eyes on ejection. And I shoot A lot. Doubt I’d even be able to cycle a left hand bolt action
Old 09-08-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
The loading port is on the correct side as a start.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Only detrimental issue I’ve ever had was with a semi shotgun getting crap in the eyes on ejection. And I shoot A lot. Doubt I’d even be able to cycle a left hand bolt action
If it was so great to shoot rifle of the opposite hand we would have a larger selection of LH rifles.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
There is a significant safety advantage to shooting the correct side bolt: in the (albeit unlikely) event of a case or primer rupture gases are vented away from your face and eyes.