Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-30-2022, 09:38 AM

Default Falcon Strike Recoil Pad

Has anyone tried these. They claim an 80% reduction in recoil. If this is true it would solve all kinds of recoil issues for new shooters, recoil adverse shooters and it would tame big boomers without using a brake. At $219 a pop they aren't real cheap but about the same as a brake and way less than having to buy a new gun to start a new shooter on.

www.falconstrike.ca
Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 AM

At that price, could they at least make them fit without those protruding ribs where they meet the stock?.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At that price, could they at least make them fit without those protruding ribs where they meet the stock?.
If you look at their site, they do have a grind to fit option. They have a full money back guarantee. If no one has tried them and can give a review I might just order one to try.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you look at their site, they do have a grind to fit option. They have a full money back guarantee. If no one has tried them and can give a review I might just order one to try.
I am very interested to hear about anyone's experience with this device. After having my detached retina surgically repaired I was advised to avoid large calibres.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
I may get one too
Worth a try
Old 01-30-2022, 01:25 PM

There is a lot of good things said about them on trapshooters.com
The main negative people bring up is the increased length of pull.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:28 PM

Just ordered one will let you guys know
Old 01-30-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Negative comments...........always, always, always consider the competency of the writer
Old 01-30-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I could never figure out how someone could install a recoil pad or butt plate without making sure the LOP stayed the same!
Cat
Old 01-30-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I could never figure out how someone could install a recoil pad or butt plate without making sure the LOP stayed the same!
Cat
No kidding!!!! The level of tardiness is truly awesome.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:12 AM

Decided to order one of the grind to fit versions to try on the 338-378 I am having built. That gun should clearly tell me if the pad does what it claims or not.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Decided to order one of the grind to fit versions to try on the 338-378 I am having built. That gun should clearly tell me if the pad does what it claims or not.
You really like those 378 based cartridges hey
Old 02-11-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You really like those 378 based cartridges hey
I do, but it is mostly because I have Left Hand MKV actions, with the right bolt face, that will work with them. Finding a LH action that works well with the other choices that have that level of performance is very hard.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:03 PM

Interesting…. Limbsaver claims to reduce felt recoil by 70%… they are about $50. I think they help but not by 70%! It seems wishful that these ones can reduce by 80%, but hey if they even reduce by 50% I’d pay $200 for one. I’ll wait for the expert reviews to roll in!

Ken
Old 02-13-2022, 04:17 AM

Default Reduced recoil

I have a browning X-bolt in 325 WSM. The first time I shot it, I laughed. The recoil was so much less than I was expecting. The inflex recoil pad on there was amazing. The original stock broke and I installed a Boyd's stock with a Limbsaver recoil pad on it. The recoil is a little heavier with the Limbsaver than the stock Browning one. I would not be surprised if the falcon Strike could further reduce the felt recoil.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
I have a browning X-bolt in 325 WSM. The first time I shot it, I laughed. The recoil was so much less than I was expecting. The inflex recoil pad on there was amazing. The original stock broke and I installed a Boyd's stock with a Limbsaver recoil pad on it. The recoil is a little heavier with the Limbsaver than the stock Browning one. I would not be surprised if the falcon Strike could further reduce the felt recoil.
Interesting. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you put the Inflex on the new stock? I have a number of rifles with LimbSaver, Pachmeyer and Kickeze recoil pads. They do help but none of them provide anywhere near a 70% reduction. I didn't realize LimbSaver made that claim. It will be a while before I get to try out the Falcon but I will report back once I do.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:41 AM

I would think 70% recoil reduction because of a recoil pad would be called “puffing “. I would imaging it is someone’s estimate of what it felt like. We can’t stop physics. That being said shooting my 1886 45-70 with a steel crescent butt plate feels quite different that one with a recoil pad
Old 02-13-2022, 09:54 AM

I've been running recoil reduction butts for years on my clay target guns. Started in the 90's with a Browning Citori Plus Trap that had Browning's own designed butt factory installed and later they started using Gracoil when they introduced the XT Gold Trap. My latest is a Rad1a installed on an XT Trap and a Perazzi TM1 I shoot trap with. The multiple adjustments are nice as you can adjust LOP and numerous other comfort settings to tweak your fit perfectly and yes they reduce felt recoil considerably. A 12ga when set up properly feels like you are shooting the lightest 410 load available. Recoil in shotgunning is a cumulative effect over numerous rounds at a time so if it helps to reduce recoil associated issues I am all for it. I don't like getting bopped around, LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8956.JPG (149.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6317.jpg (79.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5577.jpg (27.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-14-2022, 07:10 AM

Default Good Question

Dean2. that is a good question. I still have the inflex recoil pad. I have thought about installing it on the Boyd's stock. I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't find the recoil with the Limbsaver pad to be objectionable. While the rifle shot well with the factory stock, it shoots even better with the laminated stock. my thoughts are; why mess with success? The factory stock was bedded and I purchased a bedding kit in order to bed the new stock. I still haven't done that either, same reason.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:48 AM

Talked at length with a very nice guy from Falcon Strike. They don't actually have a grind to fit option. You can't grind their pads due to the internal bladder. They have a series of custom fit templates on their website that you can pick a pad from. If there isn't one that is a close enough fit, you can trace your butt stock onto a piece of paper and mail it to them. They will produce a custom fit pad that matches that template. Getting the exact tapper to the bottom edge of the stock means you have to trace the length of the butt stock, as in comb, toe and heel, as well. Since I am building a custom shop style, walnut, high gloss blue, express dangerous game rifle I want the pad to be an exact fit so decided for this build to go with a C&H Mercury Suppressor, sourced from Artisan Stocks out of Ontario, and a traditional Pachmeyer grind to fit Decelrator pad. Will try the Falcon Strike on something else. Still be interested to hear the outcome if anyone else installs one.

I did get the 3 leaf express sights, front ramp, hood and sight insert from NEGG as well. Great service, very fast shipping considering they came from the states, and they will look great on the new barrel.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-17-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:21 PM

I was hoping you were going to try it on the new rifle Dean to see what you thought of it, but honestly, the way that pad looks, and the way your MkV looks (beautiful!) I would stick with the Pachmayr just for that reason. That Falcon unit looks kinda ugly. Glad to hear you got your parts, now to get that rifle finished! I'm actually *still* waiting for mine too. How long does it take to paint a stock?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-10-2022, 08:01 PM

Have one on the way for my .375 I’ll report my findings here.