Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 06:40 AM

Default 12 gauge pheasant loads

I want to get into pheasant hunting as i will be retiring from pulling wrenches.
So I was thinking of buying an over and under .
But I have no idea what shells to buy and best choke to use.
Any help would be appreciated .
Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 AM

Get a shotgun with screw in chokes, as the choke you should use is dependant on what type or style of hunting you will do. Also will depend on the shell you are using.
As for loads anything from #6, 3/4 oz 28ga shells to 1-3/8 oz #4’s in 12 ga are used, heck I've seen a few guys run 1-5/8 oz #6’s in 3” 12 ga shells, but that’s pretty over the top in my eyes. I even had one friend running 5/8oz. 5’s in a .410, but he was a pretty accomplished hunter.
My personal favourite load when shooting pheasant was a 20 ga double choked IC under LM running a 1 oz load of #6’s, we were hunting paid released birds, and had a well trained dog as well.

For a 12, I’d look hard at 1-1/8 oz 6’s in nothing tighter than an LM choke, provided the pattern is consistent and not overly tight, if overly tight with a LM, I’d try an IC or Cyl tube. This of course is talking about a single barrelled gun.
You should pattern at 30 yds and expect a 30” spread containing 75% of the pellets minimum.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 08-25-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 AM

I prefer nickel plated #6 at around 1300fps, regardless of the gauge. My personal favorite is the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant line of shotshells. If I didn't have a dog, I might go with #5 instead.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 AM

Any number of choices out there fir guns and Ammo , practise with your gun trumps all however
I have shot wild, released and farmed birds with everything from muzzle loaders to ten gauge guns , if you are on the head of the bird it is going down, if you aren’t the odds are decreased !
Cat