Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Default Cold lake labour day weekend

Anyone going out that weekend? We will be camping for 5 nights
I can catch the lakers on downriggers, but looking for tips on walleye. Not looking for your secret spot, but tips on suspended fish. I want to try using my downriggers looking for the suspended walleye, lures or set-up of choice? I am not looking to jig for them but troll around areas that might be good
Will be chasing lakers at times but arms can get tired reeling them in lol
Old 08-24-2019, 05:32 AM

Been fishing this lake for over 20 years for lakers and some pike and never caught a walleye in the summer if you catch one please post
Old 08-27-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Been fishing this lake for over 20 years for lakers and some pike and never caught a walleye in the summer if you catch one please post
Will do, not expecting anything but going to try
Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM

I’ll be out there Friday for 10 days. I may try pulling some cranks long lining behind some downriggers. Not sure. I’ll just be happy if the lake is somewhat calm for us. Camping in the provincial park
Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 PM

How does trolling cranks behind the riggers work? I have heard tell that the eyes dont the like the vibes they send out. Just curious what is the predominant bait in there?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I’ll be out there Friday for 10 days. I may try pulling some cranks long lining behind some downriggers. Not sure. I’ll just be happy if the lake is somewhat calm for us. Camping in the provincial park
We will try a bunch of stuff off riggers, we are in the campground starting Thursday
Old 08-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
You gotta get in the back bays first week the lake opens for eyes.....rest of the season French bay head north not out to the big water but up the shoreline of the ski hill at the end shoreline in about 10-20 feet of water mark fish, bounce a jig....brownish body with glitter ish colors etc....shhhhhh...don't share this....its fishing and people enjoy that....I like catching but sometimes they just don't cooperate so off to the big water for lakers....now they like me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You gotta get in the back bays first week the lake opens for eyes.....rest of the season French bay head north not out to the big water but up the shoreline of the ski hill at the end shoreline in about 10-20 feet of water mark fish, bounce a jig....brownish body with glitter ish colors etc....shhhhhh...don't share this....its fishing and people enjoy that....I like catching but sometimes they just don't cooperate so off to the big water for lakers....now they like me

Ha ha! Come on cat .....I said summer not spring ! Its easy to catch them in spring its summer that I can't find them . Lakers like eating them so they are hard to find.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:03 AM

Wink

Quote:
Ha ha! Come on cat .....I said summer not spring ! Its easy to catch them in spring its summer that I can't find them . Lakers like eating them so they are hard to find.
Ahhh JR we never had summer....went from winter to fall....just head north from French bay like I mentioned....black jig head with a strip of laker belly fat works too....dam I type too much

Happy hunting for the eyes...

Old 08-31-2019, 08:45 PM

Didn’t bother the walleye but the trout were biting decently. Jigged up 35 from multiple spots but not a thing over
Old 09-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Roughly 25 lakers landed Saturday and Sunday. None over Saturday and 4 over Sunday. Biggest was 12lbs 3oz and all were released. Monday’s weather isn’t good but I hope to get out the rest of the week
Old 09-02-2019, 03:14 PM

Fished the north end of the lake sat/sun and had pretty steady action. Didn’t keep track but put around 40-50 fish in the boat. Biggest was about 65cm just wondering if that’s pretty standard for cold lake or if there’s much for bigger fish around?

It was also my first time fishing cold lake so overall I’m very happy with the weekend.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
Fished the north end of the lake sat/sun and had pretty steady action. Didn’t keep track but put around 40-50 fish in the boat. Biggest was about 65cm just wondering if that’s pretty standard for cold lake or if there’s much for bigger fish around?

It was also my first time fishing cold lake so overall I’m very happy with the weekend.
There are a lot of 60-70cm lakers in this lake. We landed 4 over 80cm on Sunday. There’s re fish over the 75cm but you just have to find them and then get them to bite. I landed a 36” 22.12lb this winter. It’s just luck somedays.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Fishing east side of island is like a whole other world ! Deep water close to shore , hills , trees within sight. Very nice change. Lots of boats too
Old 09-05-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
There are a lot of 60-70cm lakers in this lake. We landed 4 over 80cm on Sunday. There’s re fish over the 75cm but you just have to find them and then get them to bite. I landed a 36” 22.12lb this winter. It’s just luck somedays.
You did well, we fished only half day Sunday and still couldn’t find the bigger fish
They have escaped for another year, fished a lot of areas and depths and caught fish everywhere but no big ones
Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 AM

Lake sure is peaceful in September.....

Plus 24 too......

If I get a keeper I will post it up.....wish I could just keep and eat one 18" fish....

Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 AM

I agree about the keeping a smaller fish. I have heard that you used to be able to keep a smaller fish, not sure if that’s true or why it’s been changed... Anyone have any insight?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken they raised it 10cm a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk