Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Doh! moments 2019

How's your year going?
so far 4 rods and reels, 2 overboard to fish, 2 left behind in the parking lot (Bought 2 days prior)
Clacked rocks 3 times with props, 2 I could dress 1 destined for the prop shop
Just about every trip so far we've forgotten food items, tackle, bait you name it.
Spendy year thus far, beats golfing though.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM

About 50% of the time I forget to put my plug in.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
why even take it out?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
why even take it out?
Its the law.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2019, 07:35 PM

My first trip to Wabamun with the power boat, loaded up, in the water, buddy goes to park the truck/trailer while I start up the 60 Merc. No water stream from the tell-tale hole. Not a good sign so can the outing and drop off at the dealer, GMT in Gibbons. A week later: "We tested the motor in our water tank and everything was normal" ...WTF. I owe my buddy at least two trips for that, he could have been golfing!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Its the law.
thought it was just across provincial lines. looked up the actual reg and yup, illegal to go on a highway with the plug in.

i would just attach it with aircraft cable to the back so its always there.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Feel the pain. You know he one rifle that really fits, the one lucky rod that catches everything?? That's the one that I dropped taking it out of the rod holder, with a 99 lb fish on it to boot!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-23-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Ditto on the plug. I even have it in the cord. You get to the lake, all excited, and in the boat goes and then it dawns in me.... haha i seem determined to sink it yet. What i need is a sticky note on my steering wheel.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Some one should design a check valve that mounts just inboard of the actual plug to idiotproof the "Oh dung" moments. When it's out of the water it lets out whatever got in, but would allow flow back into the boat. It'd likely get some crap in it to prevent proper sealing but it still greatly slow down the sinking feeling. Now I'd still put my own plug in anyway because I have trust issues with certain types of things.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
about 50% of the time i forget to put my plug in.
worst. Thing. Ever.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Wow....glad I'm not the only one....
Trip 1...3 day Bush trip rained hard for 36hrs straight....finally got out on the water and the dog clutch in my lower unit piled up. Paddled back to shore caught a few fish on the way and my wife lost her new $350 rod reel over the boat as we landed a fish.
Was on the fence about buying another boat before this so bit the bullet and picked one up.
Trip 2....back to the same bush lake to redeem ourselves and search for lost rod. 3 hour drive from home less then 10 minutes from the lake a wheel bearing goes on the trailer. Ripped it apart on the side of the road....race welded to spindle axle is no good. Leave boat on road....3 hour drive home get gooseneck and winch ....drive back load boat and trailer on gooseneck....got home with boat at 2:30am never even saw water.
Trip 3.....4 days at Dore lake. 6 hour drive....monsoon wind and rain the whole trip.....11 hours on the water in 4 days....3 fish caught and we did better then most.
Trip 4.....sturgeon in chilliwack.....slow slow day.....finally hooked into a real nice 8-9ft fish.....hour long fight to the bank and as soon as we beached the boat he decided to go for a run right into a bunch of dead fall and tree stumps. Had to cut him loose. We did redeem ourselves with two 7ft fish but lost the big one.

2 more planned trips yet so hopefully things turn around.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Grab the Pike then the hook! Grab the Pike then the hook. Grab the hook - crap I bleed a lot

Dodger.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Dodger your post is the reason I'm going to try a pike cradle. In my feeble mind it seems like a solution to the piker frenzy that leads to their need to lodge the hooks into something else!!

It's the old "they say" but a cradle is supposed to settle em down, for the "operation". Anyone have experience with a piker cradle?
Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 PM

If you ever lose your plug just get a nice young poplar a bit bigger than the diameter of your drain hole. If you can pound it in from the inside of the boat going out all the better but even if you can't-twist and jam that green poplar sapling in as tight as you can and trim off the excess with something sharp on both sides of the drain hole and go fishin. That little poplar plug will swell up and seal like you can't believe. Grab another branch and take it as a spare just in case. Same if you ever poke a hole in a boat and you are in an emergency beat a chunk of green poplar in the hole. It seals up and holds back water.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
If you ever lose your plug just get a nice young poplar a bit bigger than the diameter of your drain hole. If you can pound it in from the inside of the boat going out all the better but even if you can't-twist and jam that green poplar sapling in as tight as you can and trim off the excess with something sharp on both sides of the drain hole and go fishin. That little poplar plug will swell up and seal like you can't believe. Grab another branch and take it as a spare just in case. Same if you ever poke a hole in a boat and you are in an emergency beat a chunk of green poplar in the hole. It seals up and holds back water.
Lost the oil in a Chev 4X4 once out in the Brazeau. Oil drain plug fell out somewhere. Did this exact bush fix with a willow stick, saved the hunting trip.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Just back from Spray. This year that washboard road has cost me a sewer hose, a kicker, almost lost the windshield on my boat, exhaust tail pipe and a garzillion little things shaken to hades in the ol' "Meth-lab" camper.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Dodger your post is the reason I'm going to try a pike cradle. In my feeble mind it seems like a solution to the piker frenzy that leads to their need to lodge the hooks into something else!!

It's the old "they say" but a cradle is supposed to settle em down, for the "operation". Anyone have experience with a piker cradle?
Just used one in sask for the first time for fish over 10 pounds and it worked great. Only thing i dont like is that it seems to take every ounce of slime off of them. But they were alot easier to handle in my opinion.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Switch out spoons, disconnect one from line, attached new one to line, toss over the disconnected one getting ready to cast....

Not saying who is was who did it though......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
Some one should design a check valve that mounts just inboard of the actual plug to idiotproof the "Oh dung" moments. When it's out of the water it lets out whatever got in, but would allow flow back into the boat. It'd likely get some crap in it to prevent proper sealing but it still greatly slow down the sinking feeling. Now I'd still put my own plug in anyway because I have trust issues with certain types of things.
Am I the only one that has one of these? I forgot my plug one day, what a scramble to get the boat back onto the trailer and out of the water lol. Went out on a friends boat and what do you know, slid boat off of trailer and started taking on water. I bought a check valve plug and never worried about it again. Now I have more time to forget other things!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Am I the only one that has one of these? I forgot my plug one day, what a scramble to get the boat back onto the trailer and out of the water lol. Went out on a friends boat and what do you know, slid boat off of trailer and started taking on water. I bought a check valve plug and never worried about it again. Now I have more time to forget other things!
That sounds good! I am going to look into it. Expensive? Haha prob not compared to a sunk boat i guess...
Old 08-25-2019, 11:21 AM

Was probably $10-15 at Canadian tire. You take out the brass female portion of the plug. This one goes in with some silicone sealer and 3 screws I believe. With a float ball inside that pushes up to seal when going into the water, and slides back when your moving, to drain out any water that accumulates in the boat while your on the lake. It's also threaded so you can physically plug it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190825-112046_Gallery.jpg (20.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Was probably $10-15 at Canadian tire. You take out the brass female portion of the plug. This one goes in with some silicone sealer and 3 screws I believe. With a float ball inside that pushes up to seal when going into the water, and slides back when your moving, to drain out any water that accumulates in the boat while your on the lake. It's also threaded so you can physically plug it.
I looked on the Canadian tire website but couldn't find anything. I need one of these in my life.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Ya shoot I didn't see it on their site either. The pic I posted was just one from Google. But the exact one I bought. Might be easier to find it on the shelf in the boating aisle if they still sell them?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Be Carefuil

If anything gets caught under that ball (twig etc) you have a slow leak, bilge pump should keep up but though. Suggest keeping a couple regular drain plugs in the boat instead. Kinda tough to forget 3-4 at the same time.

I keep 2 in the boat, 2 in the cuddy and 1 in the tackle box...no regrets so far.
Zeke