Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Default Rifle Bearer for Back Pack

I am in the process of getting ready for a Dall Sheep, and needed a way of attaching the rifle to the pack. The guide mention Kifaru but there are several different models.
For those that have this type of hunt any advice to carrying the rifle.
thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
I am in the process of getting ready for a Dall Sheep, and needed a way of attaching the rifle to the pack. The guide mention Kifaru but there are several different models.
thanks
Kifaru makes a gun sling that attaches to any pack. Has a quick release on it that might be what the guide is talking about.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Kifaru makes a gun sling that attaches to any pack. Has a quick release on it that might be what the guide is talking about.
Yep. I bought the model with adaptors for thick and thin waistbelts. Large would cover a large multi day bag Eva foam waist belt, a-la arcteryx bora 90, and small covers pretty well everything smaller than that...

I walked 100km last year with one, over fences, bog. Etc. Money well spent.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:32 PM

It's the kifaru gun bearer. They work great. I would spend the extra few $'s and get the universal one so u know it will work. Super simple and will attach to pretty much any pack.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 AM

My Pack is not a hunting specific backpack but it has heavy duty mesh pockets on either side at the bottom which I set the butt of my Tikka in and use the straps to secure the rifle to the side. Not a really quick release but it does carry very well and doesn't swing or sway around like the Kifaru gun bearer. Not being a quick release isn't that much of a big deal for me because I'm seldom really hunting with a full pack on(of course it can and will happen eventually that on the pack in or out I may see something I just have to hope I have time to get the pack off), once camp is set up and my pack is emptied the rifle is slung like hunting with a day pack.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
thanks
Does your pack have a pals matrix sewn into it? I just made my own strap with a quick buckle and attach it to the pack's pals with 3 bar sliders. I can work the buckle with one hand and have my rifle in my hands in less than a second without removing my pack.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 PM

here is a few u-tube clips and if you look on side other clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDdXjd42TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcmhw1vlvTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU6_wacglxw

David
Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 AM

Default is there something better?

Thread is a few years old, is the Gun Bearer by Kifaru still the preferred carry method for hands free? Looking to get something like this for this season.

Any Canadian distributors or do you order from their web site?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 AM

I was just listening to kifaru-cast and they are coming out with a new gun carrying pack this summer
Old 07-30-2019, 11:25 AM

I have a Kifaru Gun Bearer, but prefer the Stone Glacier.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Thread is a few years old, is the Gun Bearer by Kifaru still the preferred carry method for hands free? Looking to get something like this for this season.

Any Canadian distributors or do you order from their web site?
Do you want to use the rifle if you jump something or just want to carry it on your pack?

I run the gun bearer almost the whole time I’m carrying a rifle. If it’s not in the gun bearer it’s in my hands. I can bring it up and shoot faster then I can from a shoulder sling, I can use the barrel to stabilize my hands when glassing and I don’t have any weight hanging off my shoulder.

Something like chucks boy is using would be good if for some reason wanted to pack it behind you.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 PM

Do any stores in Edmonton area carry those? Never saw one before but look handy.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 PM

A bit of webbing, a few buckles and 20 min on a sewing machine and you can make your own gun bearer in either style or type
Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Do you want to use the rifle if you jump something or just want to carry it on your pack?

I run the gun bearer almost the whole time I’m carrying a rifle. If it’s not in the gun bearer it’s in my hands. I can bring it up and shoot faster then I can from a shoulder sling, I can use the barrel to stabilize my hands when glassing and I don’t have any weight hanging off my shoulder.

Something like chucks boy is using would be good if for some reason wanted to pack it behind you.
I want quick access to it incase I jump something.
I picked up a Mystery Ranch Pintler last year, I think it could carry it well behind my shoulder in the side pockets and compression straps.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have a Kifaru Gun Bearer, but prefer the Stone Glacier.

Chuck, do you have to remove the pack to get the rifle off ?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Chuck, do you have to remove the pack to get the rifle off ?
They’ve got a video on their website. Looks like it would be a hair slower to deploy but still very quick. Puts the rifle behind you which means your not going to rest your binoculars on the barrel and your profile would be a little taller when negotiating deadfall or branches. That said, I’ve read how some guys with the kifaru don’t like the barrel in front of them. Most of the complaints I read about lead me to believe the user didn’t have it adjusted right but we are all different so YMMV.
With the kifaru I’ve noticed I can’t have any steel or abrasive material on my right shoulder strap, right side of my waist belt or coat sleeve or it’ll rub the scope or stock on my rifle.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
They’ve got a video on their website. Looks like it would be a hair slower to deploy but still very quick. Puts the rifle behind you which means your not going to rest your binoculars on the barrel and your profile would be a little taller when negotiating deadfall or branches. That said, I’ve read how some guys with the kifaru don’t like the barrel in front of them. Most of the complaints I read about lead me to believe the user didn’t have it adjusted right but we are all different so YMMV.
With the kifaru I’ve noticed I can’t have any steel or abrasive material on my right shoulder strap, right side of my waist belt or coat sleeve or it’ll rub the scope or stock on my rifle.
Thanks, good video. It's actually very quick.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 AM

Don't you guys find with the rifle on one side of the pack it twists the weight and makes it harder on your shoulders? My rifle sits center of my back but I do like how kifarus model for quick access but..
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM

I run the Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer and like it a lot. Takes a little adjustment to get it just right. Good spend.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:48 PM

I also use the Kifaru Gun Bearer. With the weight being mostly on the waist belt, you don’t really feel it on one side at all. I run it under the same side armpit.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Check out Vorn Equipment packs. Really cool rifle quick release system. I ordered one myself but haven't received it yet so I can't comment on the quality yet but reviews look great.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM

I have both. I only use the stone glacier gun carrier. I do put on many miles in the mountains and find it is out of the way and you rifle is easily accessible.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triguy View Post
I have both. I only use the stone glacier gun carrier. I do put on many miles in the mountains and find it is out of the way and you rifle is easily accessible.
Do you find the anchor points harm the finish on your barrel and stock? I've got a wood stock and am curious if I should stay clear of them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Archer View Post
Do you find the anchor points harm the finish on your barrel and stock? I've got a wood stock and am curious if I should stay clear of them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I’ve used both versions extensively backpacking and day hunting. Haven’t seen any issue with the finish on anything.

One aspect that nobody has mentioned yet (that I have read anyway) is that with the SG version you have to remove your pack to put the gun back in the bearer, or have someone else do it for you. Not a big deal with an empty pack but that gets old quick for me if the pack is full. I’ve gone back to the Kifaru for that reason. And it is a bit quicker to deploy and in a high stress situation it is already in front of you, not behind your arm.