Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 06:55 PM

Default 3-day horse packing trip out of Yaha Tinda?

Anyone know of a good little, 3-day route out of Yaha Tinda? I've packed out of there several times, but only on longer loops of a week or more.

Could be a loop or a run out and back on the same trail.

Thank you for any input.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:09 PM

Depends what you call a little trip. If your horses are in good condition trip shouldn’t be a problem.
First day Ya Ha Tinda (Bighorn) to the Clearwater. Camp at the rails or nearby. 2nd day go up to Lost Guide Lake, back to the Clearwater. 3rd day Clearwater back to Ya Ha Tinda
Old 08-24-2019, 09:41 AM

Thank-you Red Dog, that was exactly the plan if there are no better options. I’ve been that way twice, and it’s lovely. If there are other good routes, I’d try those, just for the sake of new country.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Ou of the YAHA

Yaha over to the Clearwater, east to the bottom of Timber Creek, theres a nice camp just above the river. First nite there. Second day up Timber, start out in the creek meadow just above the camp , you will find it, pretty good trail for aways, but it's in and out of the creek, you have to be vigilent in the willows,
but no problem for a seasoned packer like yourself. Keep going, and you will come to a nice meadow, lots of horse feed, enough water. Might be an outfitters tent there, ignore that, as they want to tie up these spots, to keep
residents

out, you gotta love these guys!.Stay there, next day up Timber, through the trees a bit I think, and out into a long meadow running basically south, good trail, over a divide and you're on Bighorn Creek. It's rough and rocky, but it's taking you back to your truck. As you get down into it, look on the north side
for a trail that will take you through the trees, and out of the boulders, but if you miss it, carry on in the creek, that will tell you if your new shoer is good, and it builds character. You will come out onto the prairie, not far from your truck. You should study your good maps abit also!!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:48 PM

Thank you Shunda. Definitely haven’t done that.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 PM

You gotta get out of town Man...Go for it!!!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 PM

Lots of choices. Ya Ha to Forbidden, up Forbidden, down Peters Creek and back by way of the Clearwater is a good loop. Red Deer River to Red Deer Lakes and return. Up the Red Deer to Snow Creek, down to the Dormer and back by that route. Mountains are full of trails.

Grizz
Old 08-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Thank you Griz. I initially misread your suggestions. Thought it was land I'd previously covered. Actually, both are legs I've not done before.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 PM

Ya Ha Tinda is a great starting point, time is the only constraint. On our Peters Creek trip we started up the Headwaters trail as well, That will bring you down to the Ram River, or down the White Rabbit to Kootenay Plains

Grizz
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Shunda, we aimed for the Timber Creek trail. But the horses my friends brought weren’t keen to be packed. Ended up with a middle version and bounced between Scalp, Skeleton and Timber. Overall, still lovely.

Will give those trails you and Griz suggested another shot next year with some steady horses.