Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Default My 300 PRC Project

Well I decided to jump on the bandwagon and build a 300 PRC. I will try and share what I learn along the way with everyone on AO. I asked a bunch of questions but it seemed like no one else on here has built or bought a 300 PRC. I guess I will be the Guinea Pig.

I went with a Rem 700 Stainless LA Magnum as the action for the build. It will be going off to the smith hopefully next week to be chambered. Got the action at the Calgary Shooting Center.
https://www.theshootingcentre.com

I choose an International Barrels 26" 1/8 twist with 5R rifling in a Heavy Palma contour. I will be using the rifle for shooting mostly steel but some hunting. Seemed like a good choice, but in retrospect i maybe should have went 28". They were excellent to deal with had custom made the barrel and shipped it in less than 2 weeks! Ryan was great to deal with. Did I mention they are Canadian?
https://www.internationalbarrels.ca

The stock is going to come in next week and its a KRG Bravo from Scott at Red Star Targets. I have bought a few things from Scott and he is a Top Shelf Dude. Cant say enough good things about doing business with him. He has helped me with some great advice along the way with this latest project. http://www.redstartarget.com

I got a bunch of the added accessories (mag, rail and others) from MDT and they have proven excellent to deal with as per usual. I am excited about trying there muzzle brake as I have heard great things about it. They're staff are very well trained and answered all of my questions. Turnaround time on the shipping of the gear was really fast too. Very Pleased.
https://mdttac.com

I purchased the Ammo and Dies from Proline Shooting in Calgary. They were very helpful and got the ammo and the dies ordered and delivered in only a few days. Great Service.
https://prolineshooters.com

Once the rifle is completed I will post some pics. I will try and break it in and post some pics of how she groups. Not sure if I will chrono the break in and sight in shots but I might. If I do I will post that info if anyone is interested.

Here is a video of the above mentioned stuff

https://youtu.be/51DRfN7KPSo

I almost forgot, the smith doing the build will be Henry Rempel. He has built several rifles for me and I can not say enough good things about him. Every Rifle he has ever done for me has been spectacular. Always exceeds my expectations.

Last edited by markg; 06-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:39 PM

Thanks for sharing Mark, it looks like you've done your homework for this build.

My friend B Jury finished up my barrel last week and I handed it over to my other good friend R Galloway for the in-stall,,, a much simpler build then yours...

Cat said 6.5/06 in another thread a while ago,,, dang... I couldn't resist the urge to go this route. Ha...

Funny how we were both thinking of building at the same time...

👍
Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM

Default Nice

Ill bet she will be a beauty Don. Definately need to see some pics when she is done.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Same with your build Mark,,, the grander of a project that fits our needs,,, 👍.

I seen some awesome write ups on the PRC projects that the folks in the USA are building,,, those big cartridges deffinatly aline with the 1/4 mile race tracks. Ha...

Another idea that crossed my mind a few weeks ago was the 7mm Remington Mag,,, I was digging threw the shooting range brass bin when my eyes spotted something shinny on the bottom screen,,, I hadn't handle one of those cases for 27 ish years,,, dang it looked big in the mix of 223,,, 6.5 cases and the rest of the burn brass in 308 as well as 30- Ought-6,,, be dammed if I'd leave that shinny diamond case behind in the bin...

I've been carrying that case in my pocket for a while now,,, W-W SUPER 7mm REM MAG stamped on the head,,, the brass is just as shinny as the day I picked it up in the brass bin... Maybe it's a sign from up above... LOL

Any ways,,, its one project at a time,,, my life long friend in our area is scaling back on his collection of fine irons,,, both of his super customs are up for sale,,, 50 cal BMG and his Lazzeroni 338,,, He's keeping his 30 cal Warberg since its his critter getter,,, and many have tumbled over the years with it in his hands...

He was all about custom builds to,,, he always footed the bill for nice optics to match the package,,, hopefully he let's me take a few pictures of these irons next time I'm out there... Deffinatly a quality friend for all these years...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 AM

You'll like the idea of the 26" barrel Mark,,, the Palma contour with weigth will most likely keep it planted,,, I'm doing the 24" mid weigth barrel that is a fraction thicker then the Factory Sporter Spec,,, I'm sure that the idea will work for the shooting range time and hunting...

Don't get me right or wrong,,, I like my Remmy 30/06 LR with the 26" pipe,,, it really shines at the shooting range,,, but its a son of a gun working the thick buck-brush,,, Ha

Nothing like getting tangled up in the weeds as the Elk bolts past me before I get lined up with it,,, about 2 or 3 X's to soon realize that I've had better luck with the shorter pipes... Each to their own of course...

I liked the Remmy SPS sporter I was packing last year,,, 9 ish lbs all in with rigging,,, but the rubber stock and crappy trigger just didn't suit my needs at the range,,, it wasn't designed to be a shooting range gun,,, but it sure added freedom to the hunting grounds up north and in Ontario...

Had the rifle stock been more solid I would of kept it,,, a old used left hand Remmy ended up coming home with me a few months ago,,, so the SPS headed to a new home,,, a solid wood BDL stock and the action is what I kept for my build,,, the wood is in immaculate condition,,, that's what promoted my build...

Old school all round unit to fill both sides of the shooting sports,,, good times ahead when I put the unit to task,,, it won't be the best in either category,,, but it won't be the worst either. LOL

1 thing about custom builds,,, if we don't get it right from the get go,,, all we need to do is change a few things to really make it shine...

👍
Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 PM

Been pondering buying a 300 prc reamer. Ive got a 7mm and 338 based on the same case, if the 30 performs anything like the 7 and 338 you will be impressed!!!
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM
Shooting Xs

Nice project,did you buy the reamer or does Henry have one?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Reamer

He is waiting on getting it. It has been ordered. I dropped my parts and pieces off today. It will be a few weeks till I get my finished rifle. I am really looking forward to this project.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Default lets hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Been pondering buying a 300 prc reamer. Ive got a 7mm and 338 based on the same case, if the 30 performs anything like the 7 and 338 you will be impressed!!!
Everything I have read about it ballistically scream awesome! The 225 ELD-M bullet has a G1 BC of .777 so if a guy can get it coming out of the pipe over 2800 fps it should perform very very well at distance.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 PM

Id put money you could get it over 3000 fps
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 06-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Id put money you could get it over 3000 fps
If you don’t I’d take it back lol
What does broz get with his 300 win 215gr Berger’s and n570?
Like 3100 FPS?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:36 PM

Default Wow

I cant imagine how amazing it would be to get a bullet with a BC of .777 traveling at 3000 FPS. It would make hitting 1000m almost easy. We shall see. I ran that bullet through a ballistics program and It is only 7.71 Mills of Elevation and 1.1 mills of wind (10 mph) using factory ammo doing 2800 fps.

My 6.5x47 140 ELD-M at 2840 fps is 8.34 of Elevation and 1.52 of wind using the same ballistics program.

One thing I do know for a fact is when my friend hits my gongs with his 300 WSM the gong makes a completely different sound and it is very easy to see that its swinging!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Its Done

Picked up my rifle today. I am very happy! Took it out and broke in the barrel. I will still need to get it sighted in but at least it was on paper. Groups were around 1 inch but I wasnt really focused on my shooting. I will be very interested to see how she shoots next time out.

First impressions

Muzzle Brake is excellent, the felt recoil was surprisingly low considering the amount of powder and bullet weight. It is very loud though, its a thunder breathing dragon.

It seemed to like 212 ELD-X better than the 225 ELD-M but its way to early to tell (less than 20 rounds) down the pipe.

The weight is just about right. Its heavy enough to be planted and solid but light enough a guy could carry it a mile in and a mile out if they had to during a hunt.

So far I am happy and I think I will quite like it. Hopefully I can reduce the group size down a bit so I can do some long bombing at the range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 PRC.jpg (61.9 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by markg; 08-22-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Nice rig, let us know what you get for speed.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 PM

Sounds like quite a rig Mark and I am sure you will not regret the weight of the heavy palma. Moving a couple hundred grains of lead at those speeds has consequences. Seems like you got yourself deep down the “build” rabbit hole over the last couple of years. Money well spent! I swore off doing any more builds last year and resisted everything but a 308 and a 30-284.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Default will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Nice rig, let us know what you get for speed.
Will do. I got some brass the other day and some 212 Eld-x bullets. I have some H4831sc kicking around so I will try that first. Will have to try some H1000 if I cant get a good H4831 load
Old 08-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Heck that looks like a very nice rig, I never paid much attention to this cartridge till you post this thread.Hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it,i know I sure would.

Cheers
JD
Old 08-24-2019, 04:10 PM

Default Today's Shooting Results

I was able to get out today and shoot it for the first time since breaking it in. I did a group test to get velocity and get my zero. I cant take credit for the group as a friend shot it and he is a better shot than I am.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It shot a very nice cloverleaf 3 shot group at 100 Yds. Velocities using 225 ELD-X Match (hornady) were 2910 fps 2903 fps and 2893 fps with an ES of 17 fps.

The expected velocity on the box was 2810 and I have about 100 fps faster. Likely because my barrel is 26" That being said I wonder if 5R rifling doesnt give a bit more velocity as well.

I took it out to 500M and shot about a 3 inch group (about 1/2 moa). Man does this thing make the gong swing!

Pretty happy so far with the perfomance using the factory ammo. Small sample size and it still has less than 50 rounds down the pipe but I think it has huge potential.

I now have a base line of where I want to be when I start my reloads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 Cloverleaf first group.jpg (52.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 300 Gong 500 M first distance group.jpg (101.4 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by markg; 08-24-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Thats funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Sounds like quite a rig Mark and I am sure you will not regret the weight of the heavy palma. Moving a couple hundred grains of lead at those speeds has consequences. Seems like you got yourself deep down the “build” rabbit hole over the last couple of years. Money well spent! I swore off doing any more builds last year and resisted everything but a 308 and a 30-284.
Thats funny because I am already starting to think about what I want to build next. How are you liking the 30/284??
Old 08-26-2019, 04:11 PM

Default My First Problem

My first problem with my new build. The 300 PRC seating die is very very tall. It wont fit in my press at COAL for seating the bullets.

I may have to buy a second press. I just dont have the room for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 Die issue V2.jpg (40.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM

About a hundred rounds through the 30-284 ... I like it ...shoots decent. It weighs 8.7 lbs scoped so is comfortable shoot from the bench. Much lighter would have made it a bit too lively to be fun.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Velocities

Are the velocities on the 30/284 between a 308 and 30/06 or faster?
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
My first problem with my new build. The 300 PRC seating die is very very tall. It wont fit in my press at COAL for seating the bullets.

I may have to buy a second press. I just dont have the room for it.
Looks like a relatively small interference problem a die grinder could fix.

If major material removal is required, then welding may be helpful to reinforce as necessary.

My Lee CC presses are missing a lot of powder-coat, but feel much nicer to the hand after de-horning, only the initial removal hurts.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Are the velocities on the 30/284 between a 308 and 30/06 or faster?
Bullets/powder I tried seem just a little under the ‘06 data...168 gr bullets between 2800 - 2850 with no pressure. I am using a short action so seating bullets into the boiler room. I think the water capacity of the 30-284 is about 3 grs less than the ‘06...but operating at a bit higher pressure. I am using Lapua 6.5 - 284 brass.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Hunting Practice

Was out today practicing for hunting and verifying zero and velocity. I was able to consistently hit at 500M and was able to get more hits than misses at 800M

I am ready to rumble! ELK DEER beware!

If I get an animal I will post the results

Shooting the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X
Old 10-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Default 1000 Meters

I had the 300 out today. Was about 10C with 5-10 mile/hr wind. Had an iPSC target out at 1000m

Shot about 5 rounds to get on target. Got a hit then shot 5 more with 2 hits and added another round so was able to hit 3/6 so 50%

I am pretty happy about the peformance so far. I built the rifle with the intention of shooting 1000 m I was using a hunting load today and I think when I am shooting the target load I will be developing I might be able to increase my hit percentage a little bit.

I was shooting with my buddy Scott and he hit it a bunch of times because well he is an amazing shooter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (122.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-06-2019, 01:00 PM

I’m actually considering my next rifle to be chambered in 300 PRC. Seems to have to have everything I’m looking for. How would you describe the recoil impulse? Would it mirror something like the 300WM or is it sharp like 7RM?
Old 10-06-2019, 05:29 PM

Default Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
I’m actually considering my next rifle to be chambered in 300 PRC. Seems to have to have everything I’m looking for. How would you describe the recoil impulse? Would it mirror something like the 300WM or is it sharp like 7RM?
That is a good question. I find it quite reasonable and I am very recoil sensitive. I have an MDT Muzzle brake on it. Its quite loud but the recoil is not bad.

The reason I decided to build this rifle was I went shooting with my friend who had a 300 WSM. He was making good hits at 1000 M and I enjoyed shooting his rifle. It surprised me how moderate the recoil was. I was nervous at first the the 300 PRC would be alot rougher than the 300 WSM due to greater capacity and higher bullet weight. It isnt rougher at all. We have exchanged rifles at the range and cant tell any major difference between the two of them.

Both are Braked very well. My rifle as it sits with a Heavy Palma 26" barrel and scope and bipod mounted is 16 Pounds. I hope this helps

Last edited by markg; 10-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
That is a good question. I find it quite reasonable and I am very recoil sensitive. I have an MDT Muzzle brake on it. Its quite loud but the recoil is not bad.

The reason I decided to build this rifle was I went shooting with my friend who had a 300 WSM. He was making good hits at 1000 M and I enjoyed shooting his rifle. It surprised me how moderate the recoil was. I was nervous at first the the 300 PRC would be alot rougher than the 300 WSM due to greater capacity and higher bullet weight. It isnt rougher at all. We have exchanged rifles at the range and cant tell any major difference between the two of them.

Both are Braked very well. My rifle as it sits with a Heavy Palma 26" barrel and scope and bipod mounted is 16 Pounds. I hope this helps
Good to know, I am looking at a fairly similar setup. The idea behind this build was to get a cartridge with the performance somewhere between the 6.5CM and 338LM. I am fairly consistent with my current rifle in 6.5CM out to 1000m and need more practice when pushing it further. I primarily target shoot, and want to ensure I remain comfortable. At the same time, I am itching for something new and want to push things a little further.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Default Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
Good to know, I am looking at a fairly similar setup. The idea behind this build was to get a cartridge with the performance somewhere between the 6.5CM and 338LM. I am fairly consistent with my current rifle in 6.5CM out to 1000m and need more practice when pushing it further. I primarily target shoot, and want to ensure I remain comfortable. At the same time, I am itching for something new and want to push things a little further.
I think your on the right track then. My ability to make hits at 1000 m is higher with the 300 PRC its better ballistically than my 6.5x47 I havent tried extending the distances out past 1Km but I think that it definately has what takes to get me there. Once I have more Data on Point of engagement at 1Km and can make hits more frequently then I will likely add some distance to my shooting.

If the Libs are elected I will sell ya my rifle and save you having to do a build. Lets just hope that doesnt happen so I can continue to enjoy my favorite hobby.