Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Salt Water Rod

I am loosely looking for a Salt water capable fly rod in 10 wt. I would also consider building off a blank to save a few bucks.
Would you recommend any?
Any rods to stay away from?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM

I have been to the tropics 6 times over the past 10 years and fished in Cuba and Belize using a 10 weight for barracuda, jack, baby tarpon and permit. I have a Sage Xi, Echo 3, and Temple Fork Axiom and TF Bluewater 400-500 grain...each in 10 and 12 weight. Of these I would recommend the Echo (3 or EPR). Echo are amazing rods and quite affordable and come with an extra tip...accuracy or distance; which is good because breaking a tip on a trip is heartbreaking. The Echo EPR I don't have, but tried one and as advertised, they are stupid fast.

There is no sense in my mind paying near one thousand dollars for a Sage Salt, Orvis, Winston, etc., when the wind and other issues (such as a moving skiff and line loops on the deck or in a stripping basket) on the salt render the perfect cast near impossible; rather, learn to double haul and make an accurate cast as quick as possible. Better buy the $500 rod and practice casting in windy conditions and hitting a circle, between 40 and 70 feet out.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 PM

Where did you find the Echo rods to cast. They peaked my interest.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:44 AM

I'm an Orvis man. I have the Helios in 8, 10, and 12 wt for salt. Can't think of anything to stay away from, they're all pretty good these days.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 AM

I've got the 8 and 10wt Loomis GLX.. Really nice rods.. That being said, I was on a trip recently and cast the Helios.. Amazing.

Problem with building your own is when you break it, they send you back a blank and you have to build again.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 AM

I've got an 8wt Greys salt water rod I bought from Wholesale. I've used it to catch bonefish and similar sized fish in Mexico. Greys is a pretty well-regarded English rod. Not top end but good quality. Reasonably priced (under $300) and I was quite happy with it. Paired it with an Orvis Hydros reel. I got an 8 as I wanted it to do double duty with tropical and also pike, etc. here. I have never used it on the latter though. If I had it to do over again and get a rod for just the tropics, I would do what you are doing and get a 10wt.

Make sure you get a reel with sealed drag, anodized, that's rated for salt, and rinse it every night.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM

TFO has great value in their heavier rods too. If you are looking to save some cash and are not pressed for time shop for a used rod.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM

I bought a 9wt TFO BVK for bones and permit, and use it for pike as well. It's a cannon in the wind and the guides liked it too. Used it in Cuba and Mexico. It cast as well as any big dollar rod and TFO warranty to boot.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM

I cast the Echo EPR in the US when I was there on business but my understanding is that Iron Bow in Calgary carry Echo rods:
http://www.ironbowflyshop.com/. I had ordered my Echo rods online (Echo 2 in 10 wt and 12 wt).

I agree with the comment with the earlier posts on TFO rods. I have a BVK in a 6 weight and quite impressed with it. I am sure that a TFO BVK in 10 weight would be really good and perhaps better than the Axiom I have (which I am quite happy with). Breaking a rod and replacement is easy. I go to TFO in Calgary, pay $30, and get whatever rod piece I need.

I also have an Orvis T3 in a 12 weight and like the Helios or other higher-end rods, they do cast really well. Here again, based on my previous comment and only from my experience, the rod is less of an issue than the skill needed to cast accurately under trying situations (quickly with two "hauls" max, wind and boat rocking).
Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 PM

In the TFO stable is a new rod series called the "Impact" It is a lightweight but tough rod that is very smooth casting. I test drove three of these rods (6, 8 and 10 weights) hard in the past year on bonefish, bonita, and blackfin tuna in the past year and they handled wind and strong fish quite nicely. Having fished with most every offering TFO has put out there, the Impact is my preferred TFO stick now. The 8 and 10 weights in particular feel two line weights lighter in hand and still have the backbone to put the heat on when fighting larger fish.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM

I have a sage Modative 8wt it is Sages Salt, & fresh water friendly. Middle of the road pricing at around the $575. mark. It cast very nice.

Good luck on your search.

Tight Lines Always
Dennis S
Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Well I think that I am going to check out Echo TFO and Sage thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
In the TFO stable is a new rod series called the "Impact" It is a lightweight but tough rod that is very smooth casting. I test drove three of these rods (6, 8 and 10 weights) hard in the past year on bonefish, bonita, and blackfin tuna in the past year and they handled wind and strong fish quite nicely. Having fished with most every offering TFO has put out there, the Impact is my preferred TFO stick now. The 8 and 10 weights in particular feel two line weights lighter in hand and still have the backbone to put the heat on when fighting larger fish.

I've got the Impact in a 6wt and it's my day-to-day rod for the Bow. Just be aware that it's a medium-fast action - have patience with your casting stroke and it will deliver.