Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Default ion auger starts and stops?

Went to drill holes today and the auger would start and stop while trying to drill a hole. The battery was fully charged maybe drilled 10 holes. Battery says still 2/3 charge. Would the battery be screwed its a couple years old?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Dull blades or battery too cold would be my first two ideas.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Try keep it from the outside elements if possible. I throw mine on the dash when done drilling or inside shack. If left in the cold for extended periods it will effect performance and do what you described. I've had that happen as well.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman80 View Post
Try keep it from the outside elements if possible. I throw mine on the dash when done drilling or inside shack. If left in the cold for extended periods it will effect performance and do what you described. I've had that happen as well.
+1

I use an insulated lunch bag with a few hot hands thrown in to store the battery if not in the vehicle.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 PM

It was +3 out today didn't think I should have to keep the battery inside when its that warm out. Will try some new blades to see if that help.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 AM

It's the battery... Mine will do the same thing, especially now that the ice has gotten thicker.. I suspect if you could check the status as the auger is turning, it won't show 2/3rds
Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

When you say it starts and stops do you mean it stalls or the motor shuts off completely? If it's stalling and still making noises then you have a lack of torque. If it shuts off completely there is something very wrong. Bad switch, broken wire, dead short.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
It was +3 out today didn't think I should have to keep the battery inside when its that warm out. Will try some new blades to see if that help.
Yeah not a chance that's to cold for a lithium battery to properly discharge. I have a lithium lazer and I've never worried about the temp of the battery until I'm on the wrong side of -20.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:17 AM

I've had the same thing happen while drilling holes.
It turns out the battery was dead, even though I had charged it full the night before, it would run and stop, after a few seconds it would run again and again stop.
There was another fellow with an ION fishing about 30 feet from me.
I asked if I could borrow his battery for a few minutes, auger ran like a charm
no problems when using his battery.
I bought a new battery and haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Sure says something about just putting in some gas and going fishn saw the replacement batteries the other day over 200 bucks. Yikes.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 PM

that's kinda what I'm thinking if its going to cost $200 every couple years for a battery the gas auger might have to come out of retirement.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Sure says something about just putting in some gas and going fishn saw the replacement batteries the other day over 200 bucks. Yikes.
Especially when you can pick up a new gas auger on sale at Cabelas for $339 right now.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Ion battery

This is my fourth year with the same battery with no issues at all. Maybe you received a defective one. I have always recharged it after each trip even though it still showed that it was full.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM

I had the same problem with mine with a new IonX battery (10" flight).

The only solution I found that wast a lasting fix...

Sell that Ion and get an Eskimo HC-40 propane 10". No stalling out now!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
I had the same problem with mine with a new IonX battery (10" flight).

The only solution I found that wast a lasting fix...

Sell that Ion and get an Eskimo HC-40 propane 10". No stalling out now!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If the OP has a 10 inch version that could be part of the problem as well. I would never buy a 10 inch ion.

The Eskimo propane models are definitely the best 10 inch non gas option.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Especially when you can pick up a new gas auger on sale at Cabelas for $339 right now.
Nothing wrong with a gas auger until there's something wrong with it

It never fails that there is one guy on the ice I can hear him pulling his arm off and I just smile to myself as I flip a switch and pop holes in the ice.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:14 AM

I had trouble getting my gas auger started this winter so was contemplating a new electric auger, probably the new-for-Fall-2017 Strikemaster 8" electric, which seems to be mostly the same as the Ion. In YouTube vids the electrics perform great, but usually they are cutting through less than a foot of ice. It's a different game when cutting through 3 feet of ice like we often have in Alberta by late winter. The electrics still have appeal for me, but I'd really like to see them prove themselves on thick ice, season after season. They may well do that, but I haven't been convinced of the proof just yet.

As for my own auger issue, it started and ran fine the second, third, and fourth days I tried it, so I took it out on the ice and it worked well there too. Maybe it just needed to cough out some cobwebs after not being fired up for 9 months?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Nothing wrong with a gas auger until there's something wrong with it

It never fails that there is one guy on the ice I can hear him pulling his arm off and I just smile to myself as I flip a switch and pop holes in the ice.
I don’t feel for those guys, nobody takes care of their equipment. Take care and do your basic maintainence and your gas auger will last you decades.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Went to drill holes today and the auger would start and stop while trying to drill a hole. The battery was fully charged maybe drilled 10 holes. Battery says still 2/3 charge. Would the battery be screwed its a couple years old?
Is there anyway you have bad electrical contact with that battery?

Have you ever cooked the battery by over heating it, by leaving it in a hot car on a sunny day for instance. Lithium Ions do not like heat and need to be stored in a cool place.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I currently own an Eskimo Mako 43cc gas and a Eskimo Shark 71cc gas. Both run perfect. I was contemplating selling one of the gas augers to buy an Ion. I was at Wab and drilled a few holes for a guy that was having the exact issue with their ion. He figured he hadn't charged it properly. The ice was almost 3 feet thick.Taking all this in the Ion isnt for me .
Old 01-22-2018, 08:15 AM

I had my battery for 6 years, so it was just worn out.
The batteries cost $219.00 that amounts to $36 a year for me.
I bet most of us on here spend that on liquor every 6 months
So at $72 a year that liquor would cost us $432 for 6 years.
How may of you stop at Timmie's for coffee every day?? What would that cost you in 1 year??
It's all subjective
Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
How may of you stop at Timmie's for coffee every day?? What would that cost you in 1 year??
It's all subjective
$36 on liquor every 6 months ? Try every 6 days. I find if you use the electric to clean out the hole, like pushing it up and down, instead of using the reverse function, it will shut off momentarily! Maybe a safety function or the shaking makes it lose connection !
Old 01-22-2018, 10:03 AM

When you come home after a day's fishing do you charge them back to full capacity?

For a prolonged life of lithium ion batteries require you to store them properly. Look at these links:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fi...-battery-life/

http://batteryuniversity.com/index.p...tore_batteries

I use Lithium polymer batteries in my remote control planes, drone and car I never store at full capacity.

I partially charge them for storage. Check them every 6-8 weeks if they haven't been used and charge them a bit to get them back to the storage partial charge. I only fully charge them if I will be using within a day or two.

My $0.02
Old 01-22-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
It's all subjective
Only problem with your figures is you are forgetting the initial 600 plus bucks it cost. so now with the new batt. it is over 800 could buy 2 gas augers there. Or as you figure a lot of beer for sure.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Only problem with your figures is you are forgetting the initial 600 plus bucks it cost. so now with the new batt. it is over 800 could buy 2 gas augers there. Or as you figure a lot of beer for sure.
Same could be said about gas augers. Spark plugs, recoils, tune ups, fuel, can to mix gas in, actually having to mix gas, leaking vent caps spilling fuel in the back of the jeep and having an upset wife because it's her daily driver. What's that work out to over 6 years?

Personally ill never go back to a gas auger.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Same could be said about gas augers. Spark plugs, recoils, tune ups, fuel, can to mix gas in, actually having to mix gas, leaking vent caps spilling fuel in the back of the jeep and having an upset wife because it's her daily driver. What's that work out to over 6 years?

Personally ill never go back to a gas auger.
I use my dads model 30 bought in the early 80s haven't done a lick of work until replacing the ignition coil this year. 5 bucks of gas a year and a 5$ spark plug every 5 years, tune ups are free and take 5 mins use seafoam and store properly. Put engine in a small tote with a 5l gas can and have drilled thousands of holes no issues. Ill stick with the cheap and reliable.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Are you saying a 350 dollar bargain auger like the ones in the post I was replying to ate going to stand up like that? Because I guarantee you they won't. I doubt you'll get 30 years out of even a top of the line gaff auger built today. I don't think ill get 30 out of mine either.

But hey of drilling a hole every 5 minutes is what blows you're hair back then have at er.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:18 PM

With the ice building up fast pretty soon a guys gona be dealing with 30” plus..those battery augers aren’t good for many holes with that thickness.not very good if yur perch huntin a lake An your auger is dead a dozen holes in.ill stick to my jiffy propane.frigen love that thing.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
With the ice building up fast pretty soon a guys gona be dealing with 30” plus..those battery augers aren’t good for many holes with that thickness.not very good if yur perch huntin a lake An your auger is dead a dozen holes in.ill stick to my jiffy propane.frigen love that thing.
My auger is good for roughly 1300 inches of ice on a charge. If I need more than that I plug it into the charger and use the power point on my vehicle in between punching holes. Never had it die on me yet and I punch a lot of holes with it.

Each to their own but the guys who don't like electric augers have rarely if ever used one and trot out the same stuff over and over.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM

I have a Jiffy 30 that is nearly 25 years old, a Jiffy Pro 4 Propane, and an Ion... The one that would let me down, without fail, regardless of the outside temps.... The Jiffy 30... And it has been maintained flawlessly.... You guys that love your gas augers are more than welcome to them