Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 PM
coyoteman coyoteman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 456
Default cold snow

The good news the cold and snow got the coyotes moveing,the bad news a little to much snow resulted in many snares drifted over,had three walk overs,and a bridger walked onbut didnt trip ,had to reset,alerting this wary animal,back to sq one,hard walking but not enough for snow shoes.I did notice many muskrat pushups visited by yotes,see how mr bridger does on next trip-----
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM
spoiledsaskhunter spoiledsaskhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 751
Default

mine will be so much work, I don't think i'll do it. wind blew a gale down here and most of my snares are so buried I can't even find them.
__________________
we r advised not to judge all muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but r encouraged to judge all gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Marty S Marty S is offline
AO Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
mine will be so much work, I don't think i'll do it. wind blew a gale down here and most of my snares are so buried I can't even find them.
So now if you explain that to Mister Gallup and tell him that's really why people find stuff in the spring, he might let you use real snares... assuming you are actually some spoiled guy from Saskatchewan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
coyoteman coyoteman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 456
Default snare and trap markers

A very valid point is made,to mark all traps and snares in the event of heavy snow ,could have been yotes caught pre storm,fence lines are easy with marking tape,cattails a slight fiber glass rod with reflector works well,note pad with records,gps very accurate.The bad news snares traps lost will in many cases began to "work" come spring and snow melt,catching unwary pregnant females--we should make every effort to prevent this-----
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 AM
rcmc rcmc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Alberta
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
A very valid point is made,to mark all traps and snares in the event of heavy snow ,could have been yotes caught pre storm,fence lines are easy with marking tape,cattails a slight fiber glass rod with reflector works well,note pad with records,gps very accurate.The bad news snares traps lost will in many cases began to "work" come spring and snow melt,catching unwary pregnant females--we should make every effort to prevent this-----

Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 AM
st99 st99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
I started with 1 orange clothe pin at every location, but I had a hard time seeing them, so now I put 3 orange clothe pins at every location
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2018, 03:35 PM
coyoteman coyoteman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 456
Default trap markings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
Should be out tomorrow ,for line check,this idea not mine,but will photo and pass along,hope it will help--it always amazes me how the land scape changes with a fall of snow,the last lot not enough for snow shoes,but enough to give the legs a good workout----Plus had to reset a lot and alert the already wary survivors.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:09 PM
spoiledsaskhunter spoiledsaskhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
So now if you explain that to Mister Gallup and tell him that's really why people find stuff in the spring, he might let you use real snares... assuming you are actually some spoiled guy from Saskatchewan!!!
no marty, I used to live there and i'm here now.....it would take a tractor and then a shovel to find a bunch of my snares right now. but they're all marked with ribbon so I WILL retrieve them. I keep my journal with snare numbers in each location, so i'll know none are left out.
__________________
we r advised not to judge all muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but r encouraged to judge all gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 AM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Would you mind sharing some pictures of what your doing to mark your trap line, that would be interesting.
Flagging tape , not very much and not a bright color .. thats all I can say . I don't need a few locals to go checking them for me .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.