Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Default Standard vs "Pro" arrows

Looking mainly in the context of 3D archery however this would also apply to hunting. I am wondering what the main performance difference that one can expect to see from "Pro" arrows versus the standard arrows. I know the Pro arrows have a straightness tolerance of +/- .001 and standard is +/- .005 but how much does that translate into accuracy and is that worth the additional cost? I would assume the biggest difference would be seen out at longer distances.

Morb
Old 01-02-2018, 09:32 AM

If you have an arrow spinner and depending how much you need to cut off, you can often turn a standard into a pro.

LC
Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you have an arrow spinner and depending how much you need to cut off, you can often turn a standard into a pro.

LC
I know an archery shop (Jim Bows) that has a spinner I am sure I could use but since I have a fairly long draw the amount I can cut off my arrows is limited. That is why I am wondering if it would be better for me to go with a tighter straightness tolerance of the "pro" arrows.

Morb
Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Keeping all other factors the same having a straighter arrow will undoubtedly shoot better. The question becomes is your level of archery at a place where that difference will be noticeable above all other flaws. If you have the money then might as well eliminate that variable and buy the straightest you can get. Otherwise for the average archer I believe sub 0.005 is fine.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 PM

Most arrow manufacturers with stated straightness tolerances apply to a 28.0" section of the arrow; meaning for a pro series arrow, somewhere along the full length shaft is a 28.0" section that has a +/- 0.001" straightness and not necessarily that the entire shaft is 0.001" straight. Spinning and identifying the wobbly sections to cut off can significantly increase the straightness of your arrows if you're able to trim them down enough.

That being said, static straightness is not the only benefit for buying pro series arrows. I have found that they generally have much more uniform spines (verified with spine tester and group tuning) and will generally tune more consistently and quickly with each other than standard grade arrows. I have trimmed regular series arrows to pro grade straightness, but the spine consistency is generally more variable than the pro grade arrows.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Banned

It doesn’t sound like you’re new but here’s a quick story.
When I was new I used Carbon Express Predator II’s. I wrecked enough of them, knocking off and shooting through the fletching, breaking nocks, a couple of robin hoods. Then I started shooting spots. This was all at 20 yards.
The next year I needed some arrows. I went out and spent “big bucks” on Easton Da’Torch arrows. My shooting improved, sure, but they cost three times more but didn’t tighten my groups up by 3 times.
Last year I tried out some cheaper arrows, Axis in 5 and 6 mm. Not difference in accuracy that I could tell, tested to 80 yards. Same shooter, same bow. Based off of that and penetration into the same new foam block, not seeing much of a difference at all, I went with the cheaper, easier to find 6mm Axis.

I’m not doing 3D shoots or shooting above 40 yards at game so this setup works for me.