Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM

Default Pin Size 0.010 vs 0.019

Hi folks, just trying to get some feedback. Just got the new bow, but need to swap two final accessories. The only one I am really having a tough time with seems to be the sight. I think that I am going to go to a 4 pin CBE TEK Hybrid pro. Pin size is bothering me though. I like the idea of going to a 0.010" pin but am concerned about light gathering during hunting situations. I have always shot a fixed five with 0.019" pins but like the idea of a smaller pin size for more precise aiming. I buy into the theory aim small, miss small. Looking for input on guys running 0.010" pins on their hunting set-ups and pros/cons.

Thanks in advance.

For those interested final hunting set-up will be: Bowtech Reign 6 with a QAD HDX rest, CBE Tek Hybrid Pro, 6" Beestinger stab, and a tight spot quiver. Think she's gonna be nice
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM

My 5 pin multipin sight has all green pins graduated by size:
Starting at 20 yards out to 60, 0.029-0.019-0.019-0.010-0.010

Reasoning, in low light or ground blinds I need a bright pin, and I likely will not shoot over 40 yards (likely 30 and under). The sight has me covered. In bright light and longer distances I have smaller pins to allow a more precise aiming point...it's got me covered there too.

LC
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My 5 pin multipin sight has all green pins graduated by size:
Starting at 20 yards out to 60, 0.029-0.019-0.019-0.010-0.010

Reasoning, in low light or ground blinds I need a bright pin, and I likely will not shoot over 40 yards (likely 30 and under). The sight has me covered. In bright light and longer distances I have smaller pins to allow a more precise aiming point...it's got me covered there too.

LC
X2. My fixed pin sight (which is for sale by the way) has pretty much the same configuration. Zero issues with that kind of set up.

Norm
Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM

I like the .10 pins for all... it works great for me...sometimes hard to see but I like it...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM

I've been shooting a 4 pin tru glo for years now. All the pins were .019" and I haven't had any problems with it. I just recently purchased a new black gold pure gold in a 5 pin configuration. I went with the top three pins at .019" and bottom 2 at .010, it's nice so far. I haven't had much time to play with it since I got it. So far I'm only sighted in for 20 yards. I'm sure those longer shots will get easier with less pin blocking the sight picture. Can't wait to get it sighted in!!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 PM

I am still on the fence. Might be a combination of 0.019 and 0.010. Where I am struggling is twofold. I have always run a fixed five pin sight but was looking at giving a multi-pin slider a go. The only reason was really to be able to dial in longer ranges for practice. Most multi-pin sliders come in a "stock" 3 or 5 pin set-up. If I run a three pin set-up with a 20, 30, 40 yd pin then everything over 40 requires me to slide. I really like having 50 yds on fixed pins where no moving the sight is required. 5 pin to me would be the same as my current set-up with the ability to slide past 60. This is why I am looking at a four pin option.

Pin size, I am just concerned that 0.010" may not have the "longevity" in hunting light that a 0.019" does. As everyone knows, those last precious few minutes can mean the difference. I do however, like the thought of small pins to obscure less of the target at all ranges. Thinking that because I am used to 0.019 maybe a compromise is 2 x 0.019 for 20 and 30 yds and 2 x 0.010 for 40 and 50 yds. Anything beyond that is "sliding".
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM

I have a black gold ascent verdict started as a 3 pin comes with .019 standard. I decided to put in another pin to make it a 4 ordered a .010 direct from Blackgold was reasonably priced in my opinion. Haven't shot it a lot so far but here are my thoughts. That .010 is a lot smaller and no were near as bright. I would not want all my pins that small. I am looking forward to using it as my 50 and further pin on my slider. But don't think I would like it for anything closer than 30 and definitely not in low light.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 PM

I have the exact sight the OP is asking about. First two pins are .019 and next two are .010. It works well like that. The sight also has a small light for times I want brighter pins. At times I wish I had all .010 pins and then I would use the light more but I don't think it really matters. I found the larger pins at longer distances tend to starburst a little more. And the small pins at longer distances limit my range in low light (unless I brighten the battery powered light). If you want a bright pin with no use of battery powered light, I'd suggest a different sight (like Montana black gold) and the larger pins for 20 - 30 - 40. If you don't mind the light, then it may not matter much what configuration you have and you'll just get used to whatever it is.
It's a great sight btw
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I have the exact sight the OP is asking about. First two pins are .019 and next two are .010. It works well like that. The sight also has a small light for times I want brighter pins. At times I wish I had all .010 pins and then I would use the light more but I don't think it really matters. I found the larger pins at longer distances tend to starburst a little more. And the small pins at longer distances limit my range in low light (unless I brighten the battery powered light). If you want a bright pin with no use of battery powered light, I'd suggest a different sight (like Montana black gold) and the larger pins for 20 - 30 - 40. If you don't mind the light, then it may not matter much what configuration you have and you'll just get used to whatever it is.
It's a great sight btw
The starburst and pin size at distance are why I was thinking about 0.010 for longer ranges. I am thinking that I am closer to a decision and it is probably the set-up described of 0.19 x 2 and 0.010 x 2. I am not against using a light, just trying to understand how quickly the pins dim in the shoulder hours. Thanks.