Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 AM

Good job guys, Keep the pics coming
Old 09-03-2016, 11:27 AM

Default Good Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownsaw30 View Post
Took this guy yesterday morning. When he came in at 10yards I couldn't pass on him. He walked 20 yards and took a dirt nap.
Congrats
Old 09-03-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Delicious!

Quote:
Took this guy yesterday morning. When he came in at 10yards I couldn't pass on him. He walked 20 yards and took a dirt nap.
Steaks on the grill and a big grin. Congrats.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM

My long time friend and hunting partner and I got into a bunch of elk yesterday afternoon in between rain showers. We got 3 bulls fired up and after a little persuasion. I managed to make a 32 or so yard slightly quartering toward shot on this bull. The grim reaper took out the top of the heart and the big lobe of the lung on the opposite side before exiting. I did not recover the arrow. The Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo did it's job! Thanks to my friends who helped out. Thanks also to Accurate archery for their support!

One freezer tag filled, 3 more to go.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 PM

Default First whitetail with bow

Story in hunting discussion

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:22 PM

Attachment 124858Attachment 124859Attachment 124860
This Bull and a couple cows came into a few cow calls Sept 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Default Archery Elk

Here is my girlfriends Kelsey's story:
What a crazy first two days of archery season!! After Paul called in and arrowed a 6X6 bull on opening day, we were going back the next day to recover his elk. We bumped his bull from his bed in the early morning and realized the shot was not as good as our first impression. We backed out after being poured on for a hour and decided to come back in the evening. It wasn’t very late in the evening before we spotted a cow elk wandering along the ridge heading into dense bush to escape the strong winds. Not a moment later a bull appeared and followed the cow into the brush. We didn’t get a good look at him but we could tell this bull had mass and was unfortunately not Paul’s bull. Not one to waste an amazing opportunity the decision was made to go after this bull. Sorry Paul. The wind was screaming and forced us to circle far around the hills and dense brush so we would be downwind from the bull. Paul found a good clearing and set up. I ranged everything in the clearing and everything was basically 16-20yards away. The anticipation of having a bull that close gave me such an adrenaline rush. Paul gave a couple cow calls but after awhile we decided that with the wind so strong we’d have to go deeper into the bush so the bull would have a chance to hear us.

We setup again with Paul behind me calling like a cow who was being dogged by another bull and to our surprise this time it was met with a bugle and another cow call. From where the call was I had no shot. So Paul waved me back to setup at a better angle closer to him. Another bugle. This time more aggressive than the last. I got my bow ready and stared out to see any sign of him. A squealing bugle, close, really close. I still didn’t have eyes on him. And all of sudden it happened. In an instant. Like a bullet train the elk trotted in, right past me. So close I could reach out and feel his hide. He trotted past and I thought that would be my chance. Like a hound dog he went straight to Paul who he thought was a cow being pestered by another bull. He stopped just past me as his antlers got tangled in the aspens and I drew back and stepped out to take a shot but he was straight away from me. It would be too much of a quartering shot. Then Paul stepped out and the bull spun. Everything from there on had to have been instinct. I stepped back into my spot so he wouldn’t run me over and just as he spun around like a barrel horse he gave me a quick broadside shot at arms reach. Thwack! I could see my purple and pink fletching buried in his right side, a little high but still amazing penetration and I watched him take off, almost run into a bush and then b lined for thick cover.
M
I stepped out and Paul started telling me how cool it was to have an elk that close, he was so pumped about the experience and just how perfect our setup was. He had no idea that I actually shot him. I couldn’t speak, just wave my arms and finally said, “I got him. I shot him.” Paul was amazed but instantly worried as he didn’t think that he presented me a good shot. But I quickly assured him that I had indeed hit the bull behind the shoulder. And showed him my quiver with my lucky arrow missing. The next minutes, hours, I’m not sure, were hell. I was trying to prove to Paul that I not only shot this elk but I could have made a pretty deadly shot. “Blood. Blood?” he said, but there was none. Not a droplet not a smear. I was as upset as Paul was that we might have shot two elk in two days and might not recover either of them. We walked the trails, re walked the trails to no avail. And it didn’t help that I could barely remember anything of the shot. I honestly don’t remember looking through my peep or seeing my pins, thank you instinct! Both of our moods were worsening and I sent Paul on one last walk to where I had last seen the elk. He’d phoned me many times that night to see if I found blood, each of them I eagerly anticipated with hopes of good news but all of them ended the same, “Find blood? I don’t know Kels,” hangup. But at 7:40pm, I got the call I had been waiting for. “How much do you love me? “ he says and just like that I followed his voice into the bush and there he was in a stand of aspens surrounded by thick heavy bush. You could just see his antlers popping out of the tall grass and Paul standing there with a grin on his face. We got him quartered, de-boned and had Tyrell and John help us pack him out. Thanks guys beer’s on me!

Old 09-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Lots of good news. Great job everyone
Old 09-03-2016, 05:51 PM

Wow great bulls guys
Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Congrats to everyone with a harvest so far!! Knew I wouldn't get much time because got married end of July and have honeymoon end of September. I got out opening day and two evenings so far. One of which I called in cow and calf elk. Usually wouldn't shoot a cow but this year its gunna be take first opportunity to fill the freezer. So I let her walk because of the calf.

That evening I tried a new area, hadn't seen much for sign where I normally hunt. On my walk in I got to a spring drainage that the beavers had all dammed up and with the recent ton of rain had quite a bit of water. The only place to cross was on the very fresh very sketchy beaver dam. Fast forward to the walk back. Normally I hunt right to last legal light and walk out in the dark but didn't wanna cross the dam in the dark. Good thing cause when I got about 300 yrds from it a big black bear came running out of the timber right to the dam. With daylight fading by the minute I decided I better just cross now than to wait and be hangin out with him in the dark. First step in I thought I was gunna be swimming, was all the way up to my belly. Anyways got across and up the bank on the other side just in time to barley make out the bear still standing by the dam. Felt lucky to not have a confrontation with him but forgot the range finder in my pocket. Hope it still works. Next time I get out will be an evening hunt on the seventh. Fingers crossed for some meat to saunter my way!! Good luck to everyone else!!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
Shot my biggest and heaviest elk opening day evening hunt. Could not be happier!
Congrats on a fine animal!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-03-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Very nice!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-03-2016, 08:16 PM

Wow lots of nice animals, congrats to the successful!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Great story thanks for sharing! Can you explain a little bit about the cow call that he was using? 2second estrous or quicker (1secondish)?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Default My first deer!

Lastnight at 628 pm I harvested my first deer ever. A large mule doe that I stalked in a field full of hay bales. Shot was 28 yards perfect quarter. Placement was high but punctured both lungs . She ran about 200 yards into a steep valley and was dead when we found her. Dragged her out and had tenderloin for supper! Just got back home. Time to clean and grind meat up and have a beer! Good luck everyone!
Tom
Old 09-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Good job Tom
Old 09-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Just posted a quick vid of my hunt on the thread in hunting discussion.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Just posted a quick vid of my hunt on the thread in hunting discussion.

I couldn't find it

Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 PM

The hunt that unfolded on this hunt was simply amazing. It is on that I won't soon forget and I am still in shock of it all happening.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
The hunt that unfolded on this hunt was simply amazing. It is on that I won't soon forget and I am still in shock of it all happening.
Whoa, nice buck!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Thumbs up Muy Grande

Very nice Fuzzy Buck
Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 AM

Beauty buck Kyle congrats
Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

Very nice buck, congratulations man

Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Deployed.....

Last edited by Yaha Tinda; 12-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
WOW!! There be a stud!!! Good luck!
....and a good looking deer too
Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Deployed.....
Don't make us wait, show us the goods!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Killed my second biggest archery Muley. Waited eight years for the tag and didn't intend to hunt deer until November but once I got in the groove of spot and stalk again with archery tackle, I couldn't stop til this buck felt a rage hypo from my Hoyt!
Attachment 125104

Old 09-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Another pic and happy to spend the day with my Dad (Cowboyhunter)
Attachment 125105

Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy View Post
Killed my second biggest archery Muley. Waited eight years for the tag and didn't intend to hunt deer until November but once I got in the groove of spot and stalk again with archery tackle, I couldn't stop til this buck felt a rage hypo from my Hoyt!
Attachment 125104
Congrats on the monster muley!

BW
Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Don't make us wait, show us the goods!

Last edited by Yaha Tinda; 12-14-2016 at 07:47 PM.