Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Default Recoil

This post is not intended to diss anyone's choice of a hunting cartridge. Rather, it is to show that anyone with a physical impediment or other adversity to rifle recoil can learn to successfully manage it.

Three years ago my younger sister, at age 65 became a victim of breast Cancer that resulted in a masectomy . Thankfully, the surgery was successful.
Shortly after her recovery she decided she wanted to hunt, in spite of her never having handled a Firearm or shot even as much as a Gopher prior. She was adamant and very determined in this regard so we took up the challenge. She is a small Gal. ..5'4" 120 lb

For the sake of brevity, I'll keep this short. We went through all the beginner stages until she became proficient with all aspects of gun safety, gun handling and shooting, starting at .22 cal and working up thru .20 cal, .243, and 6.5 x55 over a period of a few months. She did well. Next, a few Coyote ventures. . She dropped one on the first trip with my .243..Three more later on . All good.
Fast track to a year later. Now she wants her own rifle and is ready to move on. Decided on a 7mm-08 as she definitely wants a Moose sooner or later. Bought a Savage Muddy Girl. After some minor adjustments we have it fitting. A bit more range work and she is shooting it very well with 140 gr handloads.
Next, Deer season last Fall. Off we go. First morning, she nails Doe at about 130 yds. Perfect hit. Later that afternoon, a small Buck at about 80 yda .. again,perfect placement. She is hooked forever. Never once was recoil ever an issue or even mentioned. She can shoot that little Savage well.

This year, she has her antlered Moose tag. Had to scrape her off the ceiling. If I put her on a Moose, I have no concerns about the end result.
All this is to suggest that there is no real reason to resort to minimum cartridges due to recoil. All it takes is a bit of determination, use proper techniques an adjusting one's headspace a bit. If my frail sister can do it .. surely ,anyone can.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Banned

Cancer is a horrible thing. Glad it turned out well for her, as well as you.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Excellent to read Salavee and I wish her the best of season.Your never to old to start something up and learn about a new passion and all the respect in the world for taking the time to start her off the right way.Because you taught her the step's from a smaller to a bigger cartridge and proper fit she adjusted just fine to the recoil .Learning from someone with experience is another tool for the brain adjust to with confidence.

I know guys that flinch from the sound of the rifle barrel,but yet they go goose hunting and shot 4 boxes of bb shot size and don't bat an eye.

I personally never feel recoil when I am on my killing shot,but I only go to a bench to sight my hunting rifles in and try the odd cold bore shot after in and out of the house and truck.When I go out shooting I bring 7 or 8 rifles and shot them all day,from22lr to my 6.5x55 or 270 and have fun,i hit my peak on how well I could shot years ago,so now it's just a matter of practicing and staying tuned up.

Tell her nothing under 60 inches or a nice spike bull.haha

Cheers
JD

My wife has shot 5 nice bulls all with 6.5x55 and my daughter has shot 2 bulls with my 270 and neither have ever mentioned recoil. my kid started to shot my 22 mag at around 8 years of age and buy the time she was 13 or so she even shot my 7 mag,i had one with a Holland brake and the recoil was not a problem,but the gun was bit heavy for her and didn't fit her.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 PM

Good story...Tell your sister to buy a lottery ticket for sure. If in three years she has gone from a low like cancer to the high of getting a moose tag and planning a hunt she definitely has some angels nearby. Wishing her well.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Good story...Tell your sister to buy a lottery ticket for sure. If in three years she has gone from a low like cancer to the high of getting a moose tag and planning a hunt she definitely has some angels nearby. Wishing her well.

Yes, she has been fortunate and she knows it. I learned after her ordeal that hunting has been on her wish list since she was very young, but she never once mentioned it. Now, I'm sure glad she did. Tougher than Whalebone that girl, and her keenness is unbelievable. Better late than never.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Banned

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.