Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM

Default Caroline Stream Fishing?

I'm going to Rocky Mountain House/ Caroline area Fly fishing some of the small lakes on a camping trip for a couple of weeks. I was wondering what streams we could try fishing in the area? I know there is the Raven and Stauffer which sound difficult to fish... We mostly fish lakes but would like to try stream fishing as a new experience. We have the Alberta Backroads map on my GPS. Any recommendations, advice, etc would be helpful and welcome. Stay away from bears with cubs yes... carry bear spray yes...
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 PM

I enjoy fishing the red deer river between Sundre and Glennifer lake. Bulls, browns and brookies. Where other rivers enter the Red Deer river is usually good. Where the James river or the Raven enter the red deer are only a 10 or so minute walk from where you can park.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM

the Clearwater has always been a good stream to fish for me, access up by alford lake and walk upstream.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
the Clearwater has always been a good stream to fish for me, access up by alford lake and walk upstream.
I will give that spot a try. From the Google map it looks like there's a spot to park right at the turn off to Alford Lake.Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM

Could try the ram river
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Could try the ram river
and pay the fine
Old 05-31-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I enjoy fishing the red deer river between Sundre and Glennifer lake. Bulls, browns and brookies. Where other rivers enter the Red Deer river is usually good. Where the James river or the Raven enter the red deer are only a 10 or so minute walk from where you can park.
Is the James good fishing from the Cowboy Trail to the Red Deer?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
and pay the fine
I'll be there until the weekend after June 16, so should be ok. I'm hoping to fish the N. Ram.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I'll be there until the weekend after June 16, so should be ok. I'm hoping to fish the N. Ram.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Is the James good fishing from the Cowboy Trail to the Red Deer?
It seems most of the land is private from the 22 bridge down to the Red Deer river. I usually park at the end of TWP road 342 and walk the short distance.

If you are going to try the Clearwater, I park at the Cheddarville rec area and fish that area.

The Snakehead rec area of the Red Deer river requires some walking but can have a few good holes too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
It seems most of the land is private from the 22 bridge down to the Red Deer river. I usually park at the end of TWP road 342 and walk the short distance.

If you are going to try the Clearwater, I park at the Cheddarville rec area and fish that area.

The Snakehead rec area of the Red Deer river requires some walking but can have a few good holes too.
That's great help! Thanks ..I'm looking forward to the adventure!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Wow! Out of 360 people only 3 people have given some suggestions! This is a tight lipped community!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Wow! Out of 360 people only 3 people have given some suggestions! This is a tight lipped community!
Well that's flyfishers for ya,lol......as a rule,I normally don't broadcast my favourite spots on the world wide interweb neither. 😜
That said.....give Prairie Ck/North PC a try.....they are small streams but usually lots of eager lil browns to be found.
Park at Prairie Creek PRA off of Hwy 752,some nice lil holes along that stretch but lotsa log jams too last time I was there a few years ago.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 AM

I’ve spent considerable time in the area west and south west of Caroline this was back in the ‘90’s. Fish any flowing water and you’ll find fish. I just drove the oil roads and regular roads till I crossed a creek. If I could find access I fished it. Fly rod spinning rod always had both and enjoyed some success.

Alford Tay and Phyllis lakes are good lakes to try as well.

Best advice get out and look for yourself. Back when I was there this internet thing was just new and no one had even thought of AO or like forums, we just went fishing!

BW
Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Well that's flyfishers for ya,lol......as a rule,I normally don't broadcast my favourite spots on the world wide interweb neither. 😜
That said.....give Prairie Ck/North PC a try.....they are small streams but usually lots of eager lil browns to be found.
Park at Prairie Creek PRA off of Hwy 752,some nice lil holes along that stretch but lotsa log jams too last time I was there a few years ago.
Thanks for your tips I appreciate them, I don't want anyone's honey holes just basic suggestions like you have given me. At 63 years of age (not the best of shape!) I don't have the time or energy to be blindly hiking the 10 mile run in the back woods LOL! I've always wanted to give stream fishing a try and thought it would be a nice addition to Lake fishing on this 2 week holiday.
Thanks again...
Cheers
Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 AM

also go talk with Reg at Caroline supplies and he will point you in the right direction.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Fishermen in general are tight lipped. Loose lips sink ships. There is tons of literature out there on fishing Alberta. Get out and dig in.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Grab yourself a copy of "Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide" from crappy tire. Open it up to the appropriate area in the back pages and start scrolling thru the list of creeks/rivers/lakes. Will give details of fish species, and directions to road access. Go from there, probably your best bet
Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Grab yourself a copy of "Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide" from crappy tire. Open it up to the appropriate area in the back pages and start scrolling thru the list of creeks/rivers/lakes. Will give details of fish species, and directions to road access. Go from there, probably your best bet
I have the Trout highway.. But the book was written a million years ago and lots has changed. It's a great book I've read it and have used it when I was out by Grande Cache. But as you all say the internet has changed the fisheries I'm sure if Barry was still alive he would be horrified by the changes himself.
I've been fishing the lakes all over Alberta since I've retired in 2013, I was just trying to get a little up to date stream info so I could give it a try on this trip.
I did get a very nice fellow pm me and give me all the info I need. But thanks for your suggestion.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Fishermen in general are tight lipped. Loose lips sink ships. There is tons of literature out there on fishing Alberta. Get out and dig in.
Hey nothing ventured nothing gained right! That's what the forum is for, to exchange info on our love of the outdoors!! Ahhhh but it don't work so well anymore! LOL!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:31 PM

you want to sell that book lol!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Hey nothing ventured nothing gained right! That's what the forum is for, to exchange info on our love of the outdoors!! Ahhhh but it don't work so well anymore! LOL!
Man, guys don’t even want to use the search function of the forum anymore, how lazy can they get. Lots of info archived on here

Its ok, i’ll blow all my gas money to give you good fishing spots. Google maps is free too.We have a beautiful province, take chances and make some mistakes like everyone else
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Caroline trip report.

Well my fishing partner and I spent 7 days in the area and fished mostly lakes as we always do. It was raining a lot with heavy winds, so the streams were cloudy. We tried the Tay river because it was close to where we were camped, went upstream about a km. but not even a bite. We tried asking at the Caroline store for info, but the minute men see 2 older ladies they clam right up and probably think we don't know what we're doing anyway so why bother! LOL!
We don't give up easily tho so we will try again next year and this time, hopefully my friend will have a new knee and we can go exploring further should the weather permit it.
Thanks to all that were kind enough to gives us a bit of help, namely Red Bullets, who is an awesome gentleman.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM

Nevermind. Read the date on the post. Duh.

After I read the "pay the fine" comment about fishing the Ram I went searching for info. Am I missing something about the Ram being closed? Is there a warm water advisory? Sectional closings? I can't seem to find anything. Fill me in.

Last edited by keeks; 08-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 AM

On the date of that post it was seasonal closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Nevermind. Read the date on the post. Duh.

After I read the "pay the fine" comment about fishing the Ram I went searching for info. Am I missing something about the Ram being closed? Is there a warm water advisory? Sectional closings? I can't seem to find anything. Fill me in.