Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Athabasca tribs

I'm hoping that someone is willing to share some info on some of the better Athabasca tributaries in the Hinton to Edson area. I'm not looking for a secret spots - just some general suggestions on good tribs as well as the ones to avoid. Some of the ones that sound good in the various fishing publications are a bit underwhelming once you get there. As well, access in this area can be challenge.

I fish by myself more than 90% of the time and 100% catch-and-release of course. I would be happy to share my trip reports to anyone providing some info but not via posting on this site.

I have my eye on one stream in particular that I fished last year fairly far up from the Athabasca. I did reasonably well so I want to compare experiences with others. Access to this stream is a bit tricky.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Might not be too helpful...

... but sent you a PM anyway. Would love to get some further intel myself for that area.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM

Years ago my brother worked in that area and he took me into Pine Creek. We must have caught 200 Athabasca rainbows that day. Just little guys and a little creek, but a lot of fun. It was quite the bush slogging though.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Plante Creek on the way to Emerson Lakes is lovely and was a healthy creek until the Obed tailings pond dam disaster. I think it's toxified, now.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Used to be a cut line you could take from the far side of Obed Lake to the Lower Obed Creek where it entered the Athabasca. Likely completely grown in by now.

There were trout in the upper Obed between Summit Lake, but it was really full of beaver dams that could not over winter trout.

Lower Obed was supposed to be a good stream but tough to get into. Not sure how you would get to it any more. Not even sure if it is open for fishing these days.

Drewski