Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 12:40 AM
Banned

Yeah, I hear that a lot that the southern coyotes are hit hard. I don’t think that they get hit any less hard up this way. Around here everyone carries a rifle in their truck and coyotes are shot on sight. I think maybe that the coyotes may be a little harder to catch in the prairie and that has a lot to do with that kind of talk.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 AM
AO Sponsor

The biggest difference is that there is waaaaay more coyotes in central Alberta than southern. There is way more food supplies in central and this creates/supports the heavier coyote populations.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:59 PM

All this talk, this going back and forth has been very insightful. Thanks alot! U guys keep the trapping community alive.. I hope everyone learned a little. Baiting is important. And there are definitely some right and wrong ways to do it. Everyone seems to have their own little tricks. I'll figure out what works for me this season and stick to it.. I'll take everything u guys said and talked about and basically keep in the back of my mind as I get out their after harvest.. Thanks again. Can't wait for trapping/hunting season. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Coyote hunting sounds fun
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
The biggest difference is that there is waaaaay more coyotes in central Alberta than southern. There is way more food supplies in central and this creates/supports the heavier coyote populations.
Have never seen so many, keep having to clear them out of my goose fields
Old 02-04-2020, 02:07 PM

I'm thinking about trying this, but does the 1 mile away from dwellings apply here? Or is that just for bear bait? In the regs it doesn't give a straight answer. Seems to just talk about bear baits for HUNTING being 1 mile away from houses.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever6 View Post
I'm thinking about trying this, but does the 1 mile away from dwellings apply here? Or is that just for bear bait? In the regs it doesn't give a straight answer. Seems to just talk about bear baits for HUNTING being 1 mile away from houses.
Do you have a trapping licence?.....bait+neighbors+dogs does not equal a good location. If you’re going to bait at least talk to the neighbors and let them know what you’re up to so they keep Fido inside for a couple weeks