Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default Try a Triax

I used to shoot Mathews, had an Outback, Switchback, and then they made the Reezen...... I got sucked up in the hype and bought one and hated it, hated it so much so I quit buying Mathews bows. In my opinion they were just flat out lying to sell their products. I truly believed I was a 28" draw until I tried a 28" Hoyt and it was an inch shorter than my 28" Mathews!

I liked the drenalin series but when they switched to the honeycomb risers, that was it. Then they reinvented the wheel, the No-Cam..... any bow will be smooth as butter if your happy with a 312fps ibo bow, just take a regular bow and drop it down to 50# draw, get your 312fps ibo and have the smoothest drawing, easiest holding bow you've ever shot. But they still were the masters of marketing and were able to keep in business..... thankfully.

When they came out with the Halon series they caught my attention. Draw lengths were running true and they were hitting ibo, who woulda thunk it? I gave them a try and was pleasantly surprised, not that they could make a good bow, but that they didn't have to lie about it.

So when the Triax came out, hearing customer testimony and seeing the specs on the new design I figured I'd give it a shot, and I'm glad I did. I took a drive out to Accurate Archery to see Lawrence and tested one out. In spite of having just bought a new bow, I ordered a new Triax on the spot!

Got the call about a week later, my Stone Triax was in. Wow that was fast, and so is this bow! It's maxed out at 73# out of the box, 29" draw, 436gr arrow, and clocked 306-308.8fps over the chrono. It's smooth, it's quiet, it's fast, and I think it's a winner for hunting. Once this snow melts I'm going to see how well I can stack arrows out to 100yds, I got a feeling it'll perform great.

If you're in the market for a new bow and you haven't tried a Triax, I suggest you make the drive out to Accurate Archery and see Lawrence, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Thumbs up

Huge cams! They look like oversized novelty cams!

Good writeup mister, if they do not have you on staff, they should.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Huge cams! They look like oversized novelty cams!

Good writeup mister, if they do not have you on staff, they should.
Ha!

The cams remind me of the commercial with Michael Waddell, 2X Faster, I can't remember what it was for though.

Ya, I missed my calling in life, I coulda been a bow salesman, instead I got messed up with construction

Maybe one day I'll smarten up!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 AM

As a general rule I avoid Mathews like herpes but that’s not a terrible looking bow.
Does it still have a massive 2x4 grip on it or did they learn how to build a normal set of sideplates?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 AM

I loved everything about the Halon 32 but didn't shoot a Triax. I was told they were the same draw cycle and pretty much the same bow.

The two things that turned me off were:

The spongy back wall, at 70 lbs I could get almost a 1/2 more out of the draw when I pulled into it. Not something I want when hunting or target shooting. If you shoot back tension this will be a large problem.

The other thing was with an axle to axle as short as that string angle is a big problem for long draw length shooters. With the string angle so sever you have to increase your peep size dramatically to be able to see through it. Further to that, for the longer draw shooters the peep has to be moved so far up the string that it's almost in the serving similar to your pictures.

Those are the reasons I didn't buy it.

The Halon 32 (and Triax I assume) are a dream to shoot. The draw cycle is amazing and there is no vibration at the shot. They are also screaming fast.

The one other thing I didn't like was how wide the grip is. But that is just my preference. I have a hard time shooting the wider grips.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
As a general rule I avoid Mathews like herpes but that’s not a terrible looking bow.
Does it still have a massive 2x4 grip on it or did they learn how to build a normal set of sideplates?
It still felt very wide in my hand especially shooting it right beside a Hoyt and Bowtech
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
It still felt very wide in my hand especially shooting it right beside a Hoyt and Bowtech
Thanks for the update.

I’m not interested in a new bow anyway but the grip is one thing that I never liked about Mathews. One of many things...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Glad you like your bow. Yes those cams are huge

Makes me think the size of the cams could produce some side loading torque causing cam lean? Maybe not....
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
The grip is n the Triax is narrow

Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's actually as narrow or even more so than the new Hoyt.

Now if you want to hold a 2x4, grab the new PSE Stealth.......

Old 03-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The grip is n the Triax is narrow

Maybe the grip on the Triax is narrower than the Halon 32; the Halon was noticeably wider than the Hoyt and Bowtech. Also, I was shooting the RX-1 and it had just the side plates on it, not the full grip as you pictured. Maybe that is why it felt normal
Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Ha!

The cams remind me of the commercial with Michael Waddell, 2X Faster, I can't remember what it was for though.

Ya, I missed my calling in life, I coulda been a bow salesman, instead I got messed up with construction

Maybe one day I'll smarten up!
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWEWae8dlic
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Hoyt's actually the one who invented the Triax, here's the prototype using an old Faktor riser

Old 03-21-2018, 03:01 PM

The only issue I have with the triax is that the buggers introduced it the year after I upgraded.

Nice bow Kurt.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 PM

The new elite ritual is the best bow to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post

That's what my grandma said too.

It sure is a huge improvement over the Option hump and dump.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:

I really wanted to shoot that bow but it was quite a drive to get one in my hands. All the shops in Calgary stopped bringing them in.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Default Try a Triax

Quote:
I really wanted to shoot that bow but it was quite a drive to get one in my hands. All the shops in Calgary stopped bringing them in.

I was set on buying the prime logic but I ended up shooting the ritual and it was amazingly smooth and quiet so I had to buy one

Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was set on buying the prime logic but I ended up shooting the ritual and it was amazingly smooth and quiet so I had to buy one

It is a nice drawing bow and I had a hard time feeling a difference between it and the Triax, in the end the extra speed that the Triax had, and with it being so compact swayed my decision. The Realm is another nice shooting bow.

The RX1 Turbo and Triax were my two favorite this year, but the Realm and Ritual were right up there. I wasn't really blown away with Prime or PSE this year though. I haven't tried Obsession or Xpedition this year, I hear they made some really nice bows too.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Jim Bows had a stone one in last week...didn’t last a day, there is one in Lost Camo hanging up on the rack there now.

LC
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Jim Bows had a stone one in last week...didn’t last a day, there is one in Lost Camo hanging up on the rack there now.

LC
I went in last week they had none, asked Carson when they were getting more and he said he didn't know. I asked Dave how they shot, he said "Two guys tried em' two guys bought em".

I am by no means a Mathews fan, but I like what they've done with the Triax.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
It is a nice drawing bow and I had a hard time feeling a difference between it and the Triax, in the end the extra speed that the Triax had, and with it being so compact swayed my decision. The Realm is another nice shooting bow.

The RX1 Turbo and Triax were my two favorite this year, but the Realm and Ritual were right up there. I wasn't really blown away with Prime or PSE this year though. I haven't tried Obsession or Xpedition this year, I hear they made some really nice bows too.
I am really surprised you like the RX1 Turbo, to be honest I think you're the first person I've heard says something good about it. I shot it and it felt like to was going to explode in my hand with all that shock.

I can't believe anyone would pay $2000 for that.

I am now wishing I actually shot a Triax now that I find out they had a narrower grip than the Halon 32. I did find a device that you can screw into the cam turning that bow in to a limb stop making that back wall solid.

Have fun and I would love to know what you think of long distance accuracy. Back 8-10 years ago the common conception was that short ATA bows don't have distance accuracy; I feel with today's technology that this is no longer an issue.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am really surprised you like the RX1 Turbo, to be honest I think you're the first person I've heard says something good about it. I shot it and it felt like to was going to explode in my hand with all that shock.

I can't believe anyone would pay $2000 for that.

I am now wishing I actually shot a Triax now that I find out they had a narrower grip than the Halon 32. I did find a device that you can screw into the cam turning that bow in to a limb stop making that back wall solid.

Have fun and I would love to know what you think of long distance accuracy. Back 8-10 years ago the common conception was that short ATA bows don't have distance accuracy; I feel with today's technology that this is no longer an issue.

The RX1 Turbo you shot was definitely not tuned properly, I have a hard time feeling the difference after the shot between it and supposedly the deadest bow made, the Triax. I was just shooting the RX1 Turbo and Triax side by side yesterday, the RX1 was set at 70.74lbs and the Triax was at 72.18lbs. I actually prefer the draw on the Turbo, I don't think 1-1/2lbs difference in draw weight is noticeable. The Triax was definitely more quiet, both set up with stabs and sights they were both dead in the hand. Without accessories the Triax was definitely more dead in hand. Mass weight of the Triax loaded with accessories was 6.33lbs and even though the accessories on the RX1 Turbo weighed 3oz more than what I have on the Triax it still weighed a little less at 6.06lbs all set up.

I was considering buying a regular RX1 or a PSE Carbon Stealth for a backup bow so I went to Jimbows. I preferred the draw on the Turbo over the regular RX1 because of the way it transfers into the valley so smooth and I found the grip on the Stealth absolutely horrible. Jimbows has Bowtech and I really liked the Realm I shot, but it was on comfort mode, something I would never use while hunting. I figured if I'm going to get an aluminum it'll be a little tiny short ATA bow if for nothing else the novelty of it, that's what lead me to to Accurate Archery to try the Triax.

At Accurate Lawrence had the Triax, Ritual, and the Prime Logic. All three were nice bows, the Logic had such a solid back wall it was too solid and I didn't like the sound when I would hit it at the back end of the draw. The Ritual was really nice, but it was shooting my hunting arrows at 289fps where the Triax was in the 306-308 range, and I couldn't tell the difference in draw, I think Lawrence said he could tell a difference but it was very slight I guess.

I can see anyone buying any one of these bows and absolutely loving them, I can't find any flaw in any of them that would prevent me from buying any of them except for maybe grip on that Stealth, I just couldn't like it (not to say others wouldn't like it).

2018 is an amazing year for bow manufacturers, and they are all making outstanding bows. Makes me want to buy a couple more different bows!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The RX1 Turbo you shot was definitely not tuned properly, I have a hard time feeling the difference after the shot between it and supposedly the deadest bow made, the Triax. I was just shooting the RX1 Turbo and Triax side by side yesterday, the RX1 was set at 70.74lbs and the Triax was at 72.18lbs. I actually prefer the draw on the Turbo, I don't think 1-1/2lbs difference in draw weight is noticeable. The Triax was definitely more quiet, both set up with stabs and sights they were both dead in the hand. Without accessories the Triax was definitely more dead in hand. Mass weight of the Triax loaded with accessories was 6.33lbs and even though the accessories on the RX1 Turbo weighed 3oz more than what I have on the Triax it still weighed a little less at 6.06lbs all set up.

I was considering buying a regular RX1 or a PSE Carbon Stealth for a backup bow so I went to Jimbows. I preferred the draw on the Turbo over the regular RX1 because of the way it transfers into the valley so smooth and I found the grip on the Stealth absolutely horrible. Jimbows has Bowtech and I really liked the Realm I shot, but it was on comfort mode, something I would never use while hunting. I figured if I'm going to get an aluminum it'll be a little tiny short ATA bow if for nothing else the novelty of it, that's what lead me to to Accurate Archery to try the Triax.

At Accurate Lawrence had the Triax, Ritual, and the Prime Logic. All three were nice bows, the Logic had such a solid back wall it was too solid and I didn't like the sound when I would hit it at the back end of the draw. The Ritual was really nice, but it was shooting my hunting arrows at 289fps where the Triax was in the 306-308 range, and I couldn't tell the difference in draw, I think Lawrence said he could tell a difference but it was very slight I guess.

I can see anyone buying any one of these bows and absolutely loving them, I can't find any flaw in any of them that would prevent me from buying any of them except for maybe grip on that Stealth, I just couldn't like it (not to say others wouldn't like it).

2018 is an amazing year for bow manufacturers, and they are all making outstanding bows. Makes me want to buy a couple more different bows!
Awesome insight on your experience. This is great and will really help a lot of people looking a picking up a new bow.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Grip is such a personal thing on a bow, I held a RH stealth and it felt pretty decent. A buddy shot one and I think is ordering it, really quiet and quick.

LC
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Grip is such a personal thing on a bow, I held a RH stealth and it felt pretty decent. A buddy shot one and I think is ordering it, really quiet and quick.

LC
It feels like a block of wood because it's shaped like a block of wood. I've got a 10" wingspan from thumb tip to middle finger tip, so I've got a fairly big grip and I feel the Stealth to be big and blocky, they aren't up to speed with their carbon riser compared to Hoyt, I don't think they've figured out how to incorporate an actual grip to their riser yet.

Like draw cycle, weight, balance, and ATA, the grip is subjective as well. Bows are a way more personal tool than a rifle, there are more mechanical movements involved in making the shot, and so many different body types to achieve the motions. Physical strength, body type, are you stronger at the beginning of a draw cycle or at the end? How do you like the follow through? A rifle is simple, how heavy? Does the lop fit you? Do you like a raised comb? How stiff do you want the trigger? Does it kick too hard?

Im still not sold on the PSE Carbon, but that's just me.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Only knock I have heard on the triax is the finish. Pretty delicate and chipping after only a few weeks. Shot the RX1, no shock what so ever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM

The PSE grip is shaped similar to many target bow grips, again it’s all personal preference. Admittedly I haven’t handled a left handed one to get a true feel for it.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
The PSE grip is shaped similar to many target bow grips, again it’s all personal preference. Admittedly I haven’t handled a left handed one to get a true feel for it.

LC
I've never owned a target bow, only hunting bows, I think they should leave the target grips on the target bow, but I don't work for PSE, that's something they have to determine themselves. The grip on the RX1 is the bomb, in my opinion it's the best of all the bows I tested.

As far as the finish on the Triax goes, if there was a black one available I definitely would have gone that route. Easiest to touch up and easiest to accessorize. Stone is alright, I figure it's the next best thing to black. That buckskin that Hoyt has is pretty sweet too though.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I went in last week they had none, asked Carson when they were getting more and he said he didn't know. I asked Dave how they shot, he said "Two guys tried em' two guys bought em".

I am by no means a Mathews fan, but I like what they've done with the Triax.
I must have been one of those guys... Love the new bow so far, can't wait to try it out at some longer distances.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk