Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Bill C-71 (can we say back door registry!)

A general overview of the Bill so far:

Bill C-71 has been introduced and the CSSA was there. Here is a quick run down of the provisions of this bill.

1. Background checks for criminal violence and any mental illness will be conducted over the life of the individual, not the previous five year period.

2. Both business and private sales of all firearms are subject to computerized license verification. Non-Restricted firearms transfers will not have the information regarding the firearm recorded.

3. Business are required to keep records which will include the individual's information and all information regarding the firearm(s) transferred. The business must keep the records for 20 years unless the business ceases to be a business. In that case all records must be surrendered to the authorities.

4. Authorizations to Transport have been gutted. The only permitted uses are to shooting ranges and Purchase-to-Home, but will still include "all ranges in province". All currently held ATTs will be revoked upon passage of Bill 71.

5. All of the Swiss Arms Classic series and all CZ-858s will be made 12(9) Prohibited. The owners of these rifles will be Grandfathered. Grandfathered individuals will be able to acquire other 12(9) firearms. Grandfathered owners will be permitted to transport these firearms to a range for the purposes of target shooting.

6. The powers of the Governing Council to declare any firearm to be Non-Restricted has been revoked. The Governing Council may still be used to declare any firearms to be restricted or prohibited.

7. UN Firearms Marking will be issued in a Technical amendment.

As posted in other locations:

"This time around ocv will be used campaign style. So it won't be a repository of letters you can choose and then print. Instead it is more like an OpenMedia style email campaign. This is about making a loud noise to scare the crap out of them. Campaign #1 is live now. The point is to let the Liberal government know we are a large and angry community that will work hard to defeat them in 2019 because of this bill. If we don't fight them on this, if we roll over and say ATT's, extended backgrounds and a store registry are no big deal then we deserve whatever else they dream up. Oh, and in case you missed it, C-71 will result in those CZ and SA prohibitions."

You can make your voice heard here: (you can copy the info to Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail if that's what you prefer).

http://oneclearvoice.ca/
John 3:16
Firearms Owners are the difference between FREEDOM & TYRANNY!
Gun Control is Population Control
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Pegging down 1-2 guns at a time .....

Well that's ok the ATT out , still assuming also to gunsmiths

UN firearms markings ..... what a joke

Also , BS that if someone made some bad choices younger on ( like we all have ) and held against someone later if wanting to get into shooting, yadda yadda
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post

Looks like if I'm reading this correctly it's back to the way it was. Would now need separate ATT to transport anywhere other than range. It's a bit confusing at the moment. Need more coffee!
John 3:16
Firearms Owners are the difference between FREEDOM & TYRANNY!
Gun Control is Population Control
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8x68S View Post
Looks like if I'm reading this correctly it's back to the way it was. Would now need separate ATT to transport anywhere other than range. It's a bit confusing at the moment. Need more coffee!
Oh. Thanks. Makes sense .... ish .... but just overall still waste of everyone's time

I've only seeen it with the current att rules.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post

Also , BS that if someone made some bad choices younger on ( like we all have ) and held against someone later if wanting to get into shooting, yadda yadda
I kind of agree with criminal background checks for the life of the licensee. I doubt that they would hold minor offenses from your youth against you. Major crimes such as trafficking, breaking and entering, weapons offenses, assault causing, sexual offenses etc etc, absolutely agree, 100%. IMO people change, but they don't change that much.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM

CZ858 and Swiss Arms are prohib again. This time owners are grandfathered in. I don’t know if they are safe queens or if they can still be used at a range.

Backdoor registry on the non-restricted transfers of firearm. Must call in to confirm a license and then you are given a request #.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
CZ858 and Swiss Arms are prohib again. This time owners are grandfathered in. I don’t know if they are safe queens or if they can still be used at a range.

Backdoor registry on the non-restricted transfers of firearm. Must call in to confirm a license and then you are given a request #.
Can be used at a range, classed as 12(9)

The transfer thing is not a registry and can’t be used as such. You call in or go online and verify the license, you then get a reference number. All the system knows is that you verified a license, not even that a transfer took place.

The information taken down at the store is useless the second you walk out the door.

With the exception of the range, ATTs are now back to pre-C42 days
Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Mike from Canmore will be busy buying all those new guns

The ATT thing didn't work for me anyway I could take my handgun to a Saskatoon gunsmith but I needed a permit to cross the street to Prophet river.

I always thought the background check was for life anyway?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:27 PM

So what ? If someone gets a prescription for anxiety they won't be allowed to own a firearm? Mental illness is a pretty vague description. I know
Cops that have prescriptions for anti-depressants.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Can be used at a range, classed as 12(9)

The transfer thing is not a registry and can’t be used as such. You call in or go online and verify the license, you then get a reference number. All the system knows is that you verified a license, not even that a transfer took place.

The information taken down at the store is useless the second you walk out the door.

With the exception of the range, ATTs are now back to pre-C42 days
Idk they also played around alot with the requested information and access to it. I doubt this is just for businesses. So if you don't keep the info and give it on demand I bet you get charged. Pretty good way to do a registry we take the info and keep it safe or we are hooped
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Idk they also played around alot with the requested information and access to it. I doubt this is just for businesses. So if you don't keep the info and give it on demand I bet you get charged. Pretty good way to do a registry we take the info and keep it safe or we are hooped
It’s says in the release that firearm specific information won’t be required if you call in to verify. The record keeping is for businesses selling firearms. And even then, as soon as you walk out the door, it’s outdated

This is a bunch of stuff that sounds good to tweet about to uninformed people, while not doing too much in reality
Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM

As plain as day this is framework for another long gun registry.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM

I'm confused. Last registry got who?

Those that chose to declare, were registered.

Those that did not, were not.

Why would another registry matter? Did most not wise up from the first?

I suppose it boils down to choosing a box or free range.

People make the nation, not politicians.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 PM

The Liberals are very concerned with letting everyone know they are not trying to persecute legitimate owners....but that's exactly what C-68 does???

They are notoriously soft on true criminals but have no problem treating hunters, sportsman, collectors and target shooters as criminals in waiting?

Same old crap.....nothing will ever change.....A criminal uses a gun in a crime....it's the licensed taxpayers fault?

We come from all walks of Society, we are family men, middle class, the backbone of Society BUT we are the problem?

What a JOKE!

Tags
oneclearvoice.ca