Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I'm not a fisherman but I'm a tax payer and a candian citizen. Where does DND actually get off telling the citizens that they can't have ONE weekend of fishing on a lake in our own damned country?
Damn rights!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fisherman but I'm a tax payer and a candian citizen. Where does DND actually get off telling the citizens that they can't have ONE weekend of fishing on a lake in our own damned country?
Same reason they wont let you fish the tailing ponds at Chernobyl, safety lol. Of course we dont have Chernobyl levels of harmful radiation at Primrose but it is still on an active weapons range. One weekend a season should be fine, in theory, but if the government has nothing to gain financially from doing that, I don't see them doing any favors either.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

If they already allow commercial there is no real reason not to allow a restricted non-commercial opportunity.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
If they already allow commercial there is no real reason not to allow a restricted non-commercial opportunity.
Agree with both of these statements. I grew up in the region and spent a few days fishing this great lake back in the '70's and early to mid '80's. The weekends are a perfect time to fish this lake, just as long at there are no exercises going on. The walleye fishing on this lake is fabulous.

Back then the commercial guys would fish from just after Christmas to after the New year. I hauled many loads of fish from the Beacon Hill fish plant to Winnipeg for Fresh Water Fish.

If the Commercial guys can fish it, Civilians should have a chance as well on a long weekend too. You can bet there are military guys fishing this lake on the QT.
BW
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM

As a civilians easy for us to say open it up for fishing however it only takes one bonehead civilian to walk-a-shore step on an unexploded munition and the lawsuits will be a flying along with body parts. Seems like to me there are a few too many bonehead civilians who unfortunately like to hunt and fish these days.

They don't drop tank shells on the bombing range. I've felt the blast shock waves from many miles away on several occasions from what they drop and its no joke. Too much of a liability in this day and age.

You could control a handful of commercial guys. Can you imagine if it opened up to the general public on a weekend...there would be a line-up from Hwy 55 all they way to the base entrance.

It would be awesome but suspect just a pipe dream boys...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 PM

Hope that I got this right. Earlier today, I spoke to a friend today that has put a fair amount of time and energy into trying to get public access back for us and the problem is not with the local air weapons base personal, as they are actually all for it. It is with the provincial government. There is currently a list of approximately 1,500 people that are allowed through the security gate and are able to fish the lake. They are not air weapons range personal either. The surprising thing is that the vast majority of these fisherman are not using gill nets for sustenance fishing during the winter months, they are sport fishing out of their boats using rods, reels and tackle. Therefore, the fore mentioned safety concerns do not seem to be a problem. A while back, there was apparently a deal between the Alberta and Saskatchewan provincial governments where Alberta was given Saskatchewan's part of Cold Lake to regulate and Alberta gave Saskatchewan their rights to the Alberta side of Primrose lake. I put this information out there in hopes that someone with way better connections than I have can use it to help with the cause.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
As a civilians easy for us to say open it up for fishing however it only takes one bonehead civilian to walk-a-shore step on an unexploded munition and the lawsuits will be a flying along with body parts. Seems like to me there are a few too many bonehead civilians who unfortunately like to hunt and fish these days.

They don't drop tank shells on the bombing range. I've felt the blast shock waves from many miles away on several occasions from what they drop and its no joke. Too much of a liability in this day and age.

You could control a handful of commercial guys. Can you imagine if it opened up to the general public on a weekend...there would be a line-up from Hwy 55 all they way to the base entrance.

It would be awesome but suspect just a pipe dream boys...
I've worked all over the CLAWR. Not that scary. I'm sure the odd weekend of ice fishing could be controlled quite easily

Saw a cranker of a whitetail one winter in there as well.....
Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 AM

When I was up there in 2006, only people allowed to fish on the lake were commercial fishermen using nets. They were controlled going on and off the lake and the range.

The liability of being on the range is of concern.

I would love to be able to hunt and fish up there.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Most of the lake is in Saskatchewan.
So you would need them to reintroduced legislation to have angling allowed on the lake. They took angling off the books years ago.
If you wanted to fish only on the Alberta side you probably wouldn't do very well.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Spencer is on the Air Weapons range and it is open for ice fishing. Cant see why they wouldnt let people fish Primrose.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

Petition happened 5 years ago.. it didn't work...
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Spencer is on the Air Weapons range and it is open for ice fishing. Cant see why they wouldnt let people fish Primrose.
Spencer is on the SW corner of the range were much of the bombing runs do not occur. Apples and Bowling balls they are both round but....
Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
When I was up there in 2006, only people allowed to fish on the lake were commercial fishermen using nets. They were controlled going on and off the lake and the range.

The liability of being on the range is of concern.

I would love to be able to hunt and fish up there.

My dad was a fur buyer back in the late 1940's and early 1950's, he'd tell stories of the amount of fur he would by off the local natives who trapped the area that is now the Primrose Bombing Range. He said he loaded rail cars full of fur in the spring brought to him from the area north of present day Cold Lake.

He said many trappers had lines that would run from Cold Lake to Grist, Winnifred, and the Christina lake area. When the government created the range these trappers received a lump payment to give up their lines.

Back then the railroad ended at Legoff AKA the Y.

BW
Old 03-22-2018, 02:53 PM

Indians net Primose every weekend all winter long. Not sure why us squatters can't fish it one weekend a year. The Sask guys get to net their side until quotas are met as well annually. Just Our government gave into the lawyers treaties.

Spruce