Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
when that day comes there will be a lot of people going to jail and a lot going into the ground just my thoughts
The next push will be the right to hunt on private land without permission.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle28043807/
Old 10-20-2020, 11:22 AM

yes there will be some interesting times ahead . Land owners will protect there property that they have work hard to have
Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
The next push will be the right to hunt on private land without permission.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle28043807/
The chief chose some interesting words, "The Creator gave me that authority to harvest and take," Well the creator gave me the same authority so if we’re going by what the creator has given us rights to over what conservation officers have to say about it, then why do I have to buy a hunting license?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:54 AM

Right on Kurt
Genesis 9 ( not a quote )when the ark landed we were given all the animals of the land, sea and air as our food. Sounds like a god given right to me.

In any event any time you have a two separate laws based on anything you are creating discrimination. Discrimination that in many cases leads to outbursts of racism. I stand against racism but not against the outcries of persons wishing to be free of discriminating laws.
For me that goes to all levels including race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
In Canada we have created many laws which are by their very nature discriminatory. From Our criminal code to and including portions of the charter of rights and freedoms. Some of these laws were made to appease specific groups and to acquire the voting power of these groups.
Canada is a great Country to live in but I see an awful future based on people finally being told they will have to be equal to all others.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIUS View Post
Right on Kurt
Genesis 9 ( not a quote )when the ark landed we were given all the animals of the land, sea and air as our food. Sounds like a god given right to me.

In any event any time you have a two separate laws based on anything you are creating discrimination. Discrimination that in many cases leads to outbursts of racism. I stand against racism but not against the outcries of persons wishing to be free of discriminating laws.
For me that goes to all levels including race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
In Canada we have created many laws which are by their very nature discriminatory. From Our criminal code to and including portions of the charter of rights and freedoms. Some of these laws were made to appease specific groups and to acquire the voting power of these groups.
Canada is a great Country to live in but I see an awful future based on people finally being told they will have to be equal to all others.
Genesis 1:26 may be a better fit.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Dominion over, for those who don''t understand outdated terms, means authority over.

Odd that a native would make such an argument. From what I have read they saw wildlife as co-inhabitants not as a resource that could be claimed.

To me it sounds like an argument some lawyer came up with.

I agree, discriminatory laws do promote conflict between groups.

However, it seems to me that FN are caught in a no win situation.
In many places they are not welcome in the rest of society yet can not survive on what's available on reserve without government handouts.

The FN people I know hate being dependent on anyone. They'd much rather provide for themselves even if that means living in tents in the bush.
Most have little desire to live the way we do, as slaves to a job and to technology but the environment no longer has the ability to sustain a traditional way of life for them.

What are they supposed to do?

Should they turn their backs on what little they have and face certain rejection in the modern world, or try to return to what they know, providing for themselves off the land they once owned?

It's not an easy question to answer, for them or for us.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Dominion over, for those who don''t understand outdated terms, means authority over.

Odd that a native would make such an argument. From what I have read they saw wildlife as co-inhabitants not as a resource that could be claimed.

In many places they are not welcome in the rest of society yet can not survive on what's available on reserve without government handouts.

The FN people I know hate being dependent on anyone. They'd much rather provide for themselves even if that means living in tents in the bush.
Most have little desire to live the way we do, as slaves to a job and to technology but the environment no longer has the ability to sustain a traditional way of life for them.

Should they turn their backs on what little they have and face certain rejection in the modern world, or try to return to what they know, providing for themselves off the land they once owned?

Dont take this the wrong way Keg, but you seem to live in a very different Northern Alberta than I do.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Dont take this the wrong way Keg, but you seem to live in a very different Northern Alberta than I do.
To my way of thinking, they are stuck in the past and don't want to acknowledge they have to change. It's a different world from when the treaties were negotiated and they are being left behind, whether they like it or not. Talk of the Creator and the rights he supposedly gave them just makes some of us roll our eyes. Us Whiteys rule the roost now and aren't going away and two sets of laws, racially based, can only foster division and resentment. There is no way around that.

Grizz
Old 10-20-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
To my way of thinking, they are stuck in the past and don't want to acknowledge they have to change. It's a different world from when the treaties were negotiated and they are being left behind, whether they like it or not. Talk of the Creator and the rights he supposedly gave them just makes some of us roll our eyes. Us Whiteys rule the roost now and aren't going away and two sets of laws, racially based, can only foster division and resentment. There is no way around that.

Grizz
Well said
Old 10-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Technology has come a long way since the treaty's were signed. If FN wants to hunt/fish as per their ancestors so be it. However, they should have to use the same technology that was used when the treaty's were signed.
The same way their anscestors did it.

Want to go lobster fishing, go out on a canoe or sailboat with no motor. No winches to bring in traps.
Want to go hunt moose, grab some friends and go with spears or handcrafted bows and home made arrows.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
It's a whole different world up here. Not the same as down south at all.

But many of the issues here are not seen outside the reserves.

In town we mostly just see are the alcoholics and such.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 02:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

huhh are they ready to be nomads of the land....moving with game hunting and gathering and enduring the harshest of nature....ya right....not in todays day and age...sitting and bsing is one thing but reality is another...this crap needs to end I wish in one hand and poop in the other and see what fills up first...reality is that once the guberments see that they can not keep on treating people unequal than we will have harmony for the most part but what is going on right now is just pure crap.....we are all decedents of some loss or gain etc but lets not dwell on it and get caught up with today and tomorrow...to better all after all we are all Canadians ...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Grizz
Of course they are stuck in the past, why would they want to change.

Why would they want to become some corporations slave?

Why would they want to become part of a society that has abused them and rejects them.

As much as I think treaty rights have not served them well and are a trap for them, treaties are a contract between Canada and FN peoples and as such can not be canceled at will.

I totally agree that racially based laws are divisive. But who offered them those treaties? More importantly, why.

I think it only right that we acknowledge that treaties were something they did not understand when they were being offered.

I'm sure that at the time it sounded like a good idea to them and obviously the officials that wrote those treaties thought it was a good idea as well.

So on what bases are we to hold them to blame for something our fore fathers came up with? And which both parties thought was a good idea at the time?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Grizz
They are not stuck in the past other than if it only benefits them....other than that they are very much living in present times...just have a card to play every now and then.....which is sad as this is only hurting them in the long run for the most part....start cleaning the slate to make all equal....following the same rules, regs, laws as all....at least we should have a better handle on things overall but as you see it wont happen soon so we live with the crap going on.....treaties written 150years ago....what was sure is not now...cant even compare.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly adams View Post
to my way of thinking, they are stuck in the past and don't want to acknowledge they have to change. It's a different world from when the treaties were negotiated and they are being left behind, whether they like it or not. Talk of the creator and the rights he supposedly gave them just makes some of us roll our eyes. Us whiteys rule the roost now and aren't going away and two sets of laws, racially based, can only foster division and resentment. There is no way around that.

Grizz
100%
Old 10-20-2020, 04:52 PM

Talk of God and the rights he gave us makes some of ya roll our eyes too. I’m as white as white can get, Scandanavian mostly to be specific.

Clearwater has a boat with 6500 lobster traps, Indigenous boats don’t have 50. Clearwater takes almost 2 million pounds of lobster and pillages other things too. They set their own rules, have their own scientists making recommendations in their favour, break rules and laws incessantly, etc. I cannot decide if it is solely ignorance on this one or if this is a racially motivated on the thread.
What I do know is that when the Hutterian Brethren, when they eventually try swallow the last little farmer left, are met with resistance from Johnny who’s grandpa was a good old boy from the Ukraine who just wants to farm his half section, will be frowned on as a bad thing for rural Canada and Johnny will be a hero.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I've worked in a good many native communities in the NWT, Indian and Eskimo. I can tell you they DO enjoy the white man lifestyle, and live it quite well. From the clothes they wear to the satellite dish on most every home in the community.
And the environment up in the NWT certainly does have the ability to sustain a traditional way of life. The vast majority choose not to.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Why would they want to become part of a society that has abused them and rejects them.

As much as I think treaty rights have not served them well and are a trap for them, treaties are a contract between Canada and FN peoples and as such can not be canceled at will.

I totally agree that racially based laws are divisive. But who offered them those treaties? More importantly, why.

So on what bases are we to hold them to blame for something our fore fathers came up with? And which both parties thought was a good idea at the time?
Excellent post, Keg. I've heard people saying that there's no racism in their town. Well, they have had their input filters way up. I grew up in a small Prairie town and live now in a city and there was and is racism all around.

Treaties certainly did not serve the indigenous people well when "Indian Agents" victimized them and the government did not live up to the promises. Now the treaties represent an opportunity for equality.

Sure, there are some advantages to being Indigenous. I don't think any of those on this forum who complain about hunting and fishing rights would be willing to give up their current way of life and move to a reserve and accept the average income along with all the "handouts" that were guaranteed in treaty.

The various governments need to address these issues with an eye to solutions rather than quieting everything down before the next votes are cast.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:15 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I've worked in a good many native communities in the NWT, Indian and Eskimo. I can tell you they DO enjoy the white man lifestyle, and live it quite well. From the clothes they wear to the satellite dish on most every home in the community.
And the environment up in the NWT certainly does have the ability to sustain a traditional way of life. The vast majority choose not to.
I was quoting Keg.....

Old 10-20-2020, 05:18 PM
Banned

Arrow

The Recipe for Chaos, Coming Soon to Waters Near You

Pull up treaties signed by representatives of the British crown and indigenous people between 1725 and 1779 when the indigenous population of the entire region numbered roughly 3,000. Then apply them to a population 57 times as large today.

Ensure there is no benchmark in terms of indigenous harvest of fish and wildlife species for any period of their history.

Ignore the language in any of the treaty documents for more than two centuries.

Charge an indigenous fisherman (1993) for fishing out of season, without a license and with an illegal net. (The target of the net was eels. There is no reference to lobster in any of the historic documents referencing indigenous hunting and fishing activity and targeted species.)

Dither for six years while the charges are run through contorted court processes at enormous public expense before being dismissed on the basis that the 250 – 300 year old treaties remained valid and confirmed “a treaty right to hunt, fish and gather in pursuit of a moderate livelihood”.

Back-pedal on the original court ruling when you discover you may have gone too far. Issue a clarification stating that indigenous treaty rights are not unlimited and can be regulated on “conservation concerns or other important public objectives”……but never clarify how either of those will be defined, when and by whom.

Dither for the next 21 years (at inestimable cost) while a rapidly growing indigenous population gains political momentum fuelled by inaction of successive governments, both indigenous and non-indigenous, neither of whose interest is served by agreeing on what moderate livelihood means or how it should be applied.

Refuse to apply the regulations that govern non-indigenous fishers to indigenous fishers and ignore growing discontent.

Ignore the fact that the technology applied to harvesting all marine species outstrips the ability of target species to withstand it unless increasingly regulated. (Northern cod anyone?)

Trot out the other hopelessly ill-defined term, “reconciliation”, and facilitate its application whenever and however it suits the growing demands of the fastest growing population in the country.

Support governments that assume no responsibility for having created present circumstances and have no tangible plan or timetable to address them. Instead, blame commercial fishers licensed and regulated by that same government.

Target the national police force for failing to control licensed commercial fishers whose season is closed for conservation reasons while FN fishers carry on as usual, claiming their treaty right exempts them from the science and commercial fishing regulations intended to manage a resource sustainably. Send reinforcements, not logic.

Blindly accept that our elected representatives are adequately representing the interests of all voters and conservation while negotiating, “government to government”, behind closed doors and never providing any other interests an opportunity to be heard until after agreements are carved in stone.

Three years ago the National Post published a very good summary of the events surrounding the now infamous Mi’kmaq lobster fishery. A friend forwarded it to me this afternoon while I was preparing the above. I include the link here as evidence there are at least some people in the media that “get it”: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/joh...nment-tries-to

https://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2228
Old 10-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I was quoting Keg.....
Ah, gotcha
Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
From what I know, that is all true, except, wasn't it JT who apologized with tears in his eyes, for what FN endured in residential schools?

Yet like all the others he has done nothing to honor treaties or in any way make things better for FN.

My friends growing up were all FN or Metis. I saw a side few see.

What we think we know is not what is happening. Sadly I know that trying to explain would fall on deaf ears.

So I'll just say this. For generations Ottawa has played east against west and French against English.
Why would we think they are not playing none natives against FN?

Today it is right in front of us, in Nova Scotia and on the news.

Our government says know not thy enemy and thou shall surely be defeated.
When i was in Rupert in July every FN there had just received their 3rd $10,000 compensation cheque in 3 months for the residential school tragedy. (Not my words). Did this happen for every FN canada wide? Or just people at ports? I saw the cheque.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
The Recipe for Chaos, Coming Soon to Waters Near You

Pull up treaties signed by representatives of the British crown and indigenous people between 1725 and 1779 when the indigenous population of the entire region numbered roughly 3,000. Then apply them to a population 57 times as large today.

Ensure there is no benchmark in terms of indigenous harvest of fish and wildlife species for any period of their history.

Ignore the language in any of the treaty documents for more than two centuries.

Charge an indigenous fisherman (1993) for fishing out of season, without a license and with an illegal net. (The target of the net was eels. There is no reference to lobster in any of the historic documents referencing indigenous hunting and fishing activity and targeted species.)

Dither for six years while the charges are run through contorted court processes at enormous public expense before being dismissed on the basis that the 250 – 300 year old treaties remained valid and confirmed “a treaty right to hunt, fish and gather in pursuit of a moderate livelihood”.

Back-pedal on the original court ruling when you discover you may have gone too far. Issue a clarification stating that indigenous treaty rights are not unlimited and can be regulated on “conservation concerns or other important public objectives”……but never clarify how either of those will be defined, when and by whom.

Dither for the next 21 years (at inestimable cost) while a rapidly growing indigenous population gains political momentum fuelled by inaction of successive governments, both indigenous and non-indigenous, neither of whose interest is served by agreeing on what moderate livelihood means or how it should be applied.

Refuse to apply the regulations that govern non-indigenous fishers to indigenous fishers and ignore growing discontent.

Ignore the fact that the technology applied to harvesting all marine species outstrips the ability of target species to withstand it unless increasingly regulated. (Northern cod anyone?)

Trot out the other hopelessly ill-defined term, “reconciliation”, and facilitate its application whenever and however it suits the growing demands of the fastest growing population in the country.

Support governments that assume no responsibility for having created present circumstances and have no tangible plan or timetable to address them. Instead, blame commercial fishers licensed and regulated by that same government.

Target the national police force for failing to control licensed commercial fishers whose season is closed for conservation reasons while FN fishers carry on as usual, claiming their treaty right exempts them from the science and commercial fishing regulations intended to manage a resource sustainably. Send reinforcements, not logic.

Blindly accept that our elected representatives are adequately representing the interests of all voters and conservation while negotiating, “government to government”, behind closed doors and never providing any other interests an opportunity to be heard until after agreements are carved in stone.

Three years ago the National Post published a very good summary of the events surrounding the now infamous Mi’kmaq lobster fishery. A friend forwarded it to me this afternoon while I was preparing the above. I include the link here as evidence there are at least some people in the media that “get it”: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/joh...nment-tries-to

https://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2228
That's the truth!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When i was in Rupert in July every FN there had just received their 3rd $10,000 compensation cheque in 3 months for the residential school tragedy. (Not my words). Did this happen for every FN canada wide? Or just people at ports? I saw the cheque.
Well it sure didn't happen for those who died before the cheques were mailed.

For those who still live, I have no idea. It's not something I've discussed with the FN people I know.

We seldom talk about issues when I'm visiting in their homes or out fishing or hunting or working together.

What we talk about is hunting, fishing, women, jobs, and family.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 06:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
FM in the territories are in an entirely different situation then those south of the 60th.

For one they aren't surrounded by non natives. In many places they are the only residents.
They also never had treaties and were only recently awarded rights by the courts.

BTW, did you work as a computer specialist for the Canadian government, and did your wife run a canoe venture operation on the Peace River.

If so, you and I have met. If that's who you are, you certainly know more about FN in the far north then I do.

My FN experience has been entirely in Alberta and mostly Northern Alberta.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Every fn ? Because that makes no sense whatsoever i wouldnt be surprised .
Old 10-20-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Well it sure didn't happen for those who died before the cheques were mailed.

For those who still live, I have no idea. It's not something I've discussed with the FN people I know.

We seldom talk about issues when I'm visiting in their homes or out fishing or hunting or working together.

What we talk about is hunting, fishing, women, jobs, and family.
Granted, but for how many generations are we going to have to pay reparations for people that 'heard about the atrocities' but were in no way affected?

I think this was kept fairly quiet. (the cheques)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Banned

Its pretty scary from an Indigenous perspective. People out east are following the law and thier buildings and belongings are getting burned to the ground.

We have heard loud and clear, people want "us" to make a living for oursleves....this is an example of that happening.

But yet it seems it doesnt seem fit for the same people that cry for it.

The facts show the impact on the lobster population is minuscule compared to the commercial people that are against it. To give you an example,

"The scale of the fishery matters, and the impact that a small fishery like the one organised by the Sipekne'katik First Nation would have limited effect on total populations.In LFA 34, the regulatory name for the body of water near St Mary's Bay, where the indigenous lobster fishery is located, there are 979 lobster licences, and each licence is allowed to carry about 375-400 traps during the season. The Sipekne'katik fishery has issued 11 licences, with the right to carry 50 traps each"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...anada-54472604

Like wtf are people really getting upset over ffs??? Who has the biggest piece of the pie? Obviously people there want the whole pie....

The dominate society cries for Indigenous people to be free of the system but when its happens they cry and destroy infrastructure that makes it happen???

Like just be honest and say you want Indigenous people to always be inferior, least we know then what is in front of us.

Here in my pocket of Alberta my family and friends are worried about even going out hunting for fear of getting shot.

Dont put your anger on the people when its the system that is what angers you please.

Signed, concerned stauts people in Alberta.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
Its pretty scary from an Indigenous perspective. People out east are following the law and thier buildings and belongings are getting burned to the ground.

We have heard loud and clear, people want "us" to make a living for oursleves....this is an example of that happening.

But yet it seems it doesnt seem fit for the same people that cry for it.

The facts show the impact on the lobster population is minuscule compared to the commercial people that are against it. To give you an example,

"The scale of the fishery matters, and the impact that a small fishery like the one organised by the Sipekne'katik First Nation would have limited effect on total populations.In LFA 34, the regulatory name for the body of water near St Mary's Bay, where the indigenous lobster fishery is located, there are 979 lobster licences, and each licence is allowed to carry about 375-400 traps during the season. The Sipekne'katik fishery has issued 11 licences, with the right to carry 50 traps each"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...anada-54472604

Like wtf are people really getting upset over ffs??? Who has the biggest piece of the pie? Obviously people there want the whole pie....

The dominate society cries for Indigenous people to be free of the system but when its happens they cry and destroy infrastructure that makes it happen???

Like just be honest and say you want Indigenous people to always be inferior, least we know then what is in front of us.

Here in my pocket of Alberta my family and friends are worried about even going out hunting for fear of getting shot.

Dont put your anger on the people when its the system that is what angers you please.

Signed, concerned stauts people in Alberta.
Seriously? Lol. What’s stopping them from becoming commercial fishermen and abiding by the law like everyone else? Why don’t you just say it? You want a two tiered system that gives you special rights over all other Canadians? Any resistance to that is considered being an oppressive racist right?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Seriously? Lol. What’s stopping them from becoming commercial fishermen and abiding by the law like everyone else? Why don’t you just say it? You want a two tiered system that gives you special rights over all other Canadians? Any resistance to that is considered being an oppressive racist right?
Nailed it.
Act 2:
White Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ok fund your business yourself”

Black Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ here is $250,000”

White Canadian: “thats not fair”

Government, media: “your a racist”

If there are different rules for different players in the same game, watch out.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Whats is the incentive of them becoming commercial fisherman? I just told you it would result in more traps in the water?

Also have told you they are havesting within the law.

Do some research, since 99 when the treaty was solidified in the supreme court BOTH sides have been asking for clarity from the feds.

R v Mashall in 99 upheld the Peace and Freindship Treaty of 1752 which gave the Mi'kmaq the right to hunt and fish thier lands and establish trade.

In 99 the supreme court said they have the right to not just sustain themselves by hunting and fishing, but to earn a "moderate livelihood " even in the offseason.

"The court defined "moderate livelihood" as a living that provided for "necessities" like food and shelter, but not the "accumulation of wealth". What that means practically was never addressed in the regulations, leaving a grey area that has yet to be resolved to this day."

"The Mi'kmaq have been waiting for decades to lay out regulations that uphold this ruling, but the government still has yet to do anything. So the Sipekne'katik First Nation is making their lobster fishery a test case, issuing just 11 licences, with the hopes of collecting data towards making the operation sustainable in the years to come. They are operating perfectly within the law.:

Same source as above.

So yeah there is a two tier system. It worked out for the Europeans, still does. The treaty said yeah, Canada gets the land, Indigenous people can hunt and fish it.

If you looked at the median income of such parties on both side, I bet it would lean heavy on the people burning building down...