Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-02-2021, 12:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Default GFW: Feb 4-6 Alberta Routes and GFW Announcement

Old 02-02-2021, 12:16 PM
AO Sponsor

GFW has initiated a traceability program beginning with coyotes. To enroll in the program Fur producers are asked to sign a basic declaration stating that they are operating within the parameters of the law, using legal techniques etc.

Many of GFW's and others's clients from around the world are requesting/requiring that fur purchased be traceable in the near future, that they will need to be able to prove goods purchased/used comes from a reliable country of origin that has strict laws/controls such that the fur is produced in the most ethical, legal, and humane fashion as possible, is the desire.

For now the program begins with coyotes, but is sure to spill over into other species. For now, it seems as tho brands of EU origin are requesting and/or demanding this in order for fur to be sold into their jurisdictions. This is no small thing, in order to retain these markets, we must be able to prove origin/traceability to ensure we have willing product brand/lines to sell to in the future.

Just a little forward thinking!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Oops...

A couple typos...

this poster for correct times:

Old 02-02-2021, 02:48 PM

Any chance you are headed to grande prairie area?

April??

Thx
Old 02-02-2021, 06:38 PM

Is this the same traceability program that was being set up by the ATA and Canada goose.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Dylan, yes

Mikey, no
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Dylan, had to check for available dates at Trapper Gord’s....

Trapper Gord is a very large man, truly has a heart for the trappers and is not out to simply line his pockets.... as evidenced by what he is doing with the buyers, for the trappers benefit...

Twice a month, Gordy Klassen of Trapper Gord’s is allowing various fur buying companies to buy at his location, under a roof with lights and heat in the dastardly covid times. Once a month he allows “Two Rivers Fur” and “GFW” onto the premises to buy fur from area trappers.

In my young and sensuous, easily influenced mind, Gordy is doing the trapper a great and selfless service. Trappers can come to either of the two fur buying companies and liquidate their hard earned catch into instant capitol to go home and pay bills, etc at no, ZERO BENEFIT, to Gordy. Kudos to Trapper Gord, this man clearly demonstrates his selflessness to the trappers of Northern Alberta. A real man!!!

Anyways, I haven’t picked a date yet to return back to Trapper Gord’s to set up for the day, was thinking either Feb 20 or 27. Two Rivers is at Debolt/Trapper Gord’s Feb 7thand March 14, so I’m planning to be there for Feb 27, and in late March, say March 27, tentatively.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:52 AM

Default Gordy

He is top notch for sure, his store has come a long way as well, its some swanky in there and hes got damn near everything a trapper could need and the prices have gotten alot more competitive. Ill be sure to be spending that hard earned fur money on some more gear. If you have any of your new fancy locks in stock come feb id love to purchase some.

See you sometime in late feb and late march with my hard earned furs.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Dylan, had to check for available dates at Trapper Gord’s....

Trapper Gord is a very large man, truly has a heart for the trappers and is not out to simply line his pockets.... as evidenced by what he is doing with the buyers, for the trappers benefit...

Twice a month, Gordy Klassen of Trapper Gord’s is allowing various fur buying companies to buy at his location, under a roof with lights and heat in the dastardly covid times. Once a month he allows “Two Rivers Fur” and “GFW” onto the premises to buy fur from area trappers.

In my young and sensuous, easily influenced mind, Gordy is doing the trapper a great and selfless service. Trappers can come to either of the two fur buying companies and liquidate their hard earned catch into instant capitol to go home and pay bills, etc at no, ZERO BENEFIT, to Gordy. Kudos to Trapper Gord, this man clearly demonstrates his selflessness to the trappers of Northern Alberta. A real man!!!

Anyways, I haven’t picked a date yet to return back to Trapper Gord’s to set up for the day, was thinking either Feb 20 or 27. Two Rivers is at Debolt/Trapper Gord’s Feb 7thand March 14, so I’m planning to be there for Feb 27, and in late March, say March 27, tentatively.

I'm not a trapper but any one that gets more traffic to their store is doing themselves a favour...this guy may be an icon to Marty but he is definitely doing himself a favour getting business traffic into his store. Duhh
Old 02-03-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I'm not a trapper but any one that gets more traffic to their store is doing themselves a favour...this guy may be an icon to Marty but he is definitely doing himself a favour getting business traffic into his store. Duhh
Yes he is very intelligent.