Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Greasy move by the officer though.
Agreed.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
AEIHA did not exist at that time (early `80s) Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education Program is what it was known as up until the AHEIA (Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Assn was formed, sometime in the later 90's.

Exactly when did passing the course become mandatory prior to obtaining a first time hunting license in Alberta É
1987 the requirement to pass a Hunter Competency Test was introduced to the regulations. Passing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education Program qualified to meet that requirement. Or you could take an exam at a Fish and Wildlife office.

So unless you held a license prior to 1987 you would have to have passed a test or lied on your WIN card application.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 AM

After reading this thread I decided to call the AHEIA office and see if my hunter ed course was registered on their system. They looked several different ways and it could not be found. Since I have misplaced my card I just took the course again. $70 spent for peace of mind, this time I will make sure I am registered in the system and retain the card.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
After reading this thread I decided to call the AHEIA office and see if my hunter ed course was registered on their system. They looked several different ways and it could not be found. Since I have misplaced my card I just took the course again. $70 spent for peace of mind, this time I will make sure I am registered in the system and retain the card.
So other than your peace of mind, do you feel that you learned anything of value from the course?
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So other than your peace of mind, do you feel that you learned anything of value from the course?
No, but its kind of like taking First Aid or H2S. You learn something the first time through it then after that its just a required check mark.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:44 AM

If you ever hunt out of province you will need that card. Thankfully I saved both my card and cert from 1987. AHEIA gave me new ones with an actual system number on it.

LC
Old 10-21-2020, 10:58 AM

`As I recall the FAC was replaced by a PAL in 1995.
I think hunter training became a recommendation for first time hunters then but it wasn't until later that it became mandatory.

Previous hunter training courses were entirely voluntary so far as I know.

Mind you I was grande fathered in so I never was required to take the course.``

Thats the way I recall it. All courses that were offered prior to the late `80s to early 90`s were entirely voluntary. Some schools offered it, depending on the interests of a particular teacher but they were not part of the curriculum. Theres lots of confusion in this area due to the initial confusion by F&W in launching it.
From the beginning the initial Course content was excellent, but delivery was a major issue (time consuming) and qualified Instructors, willing to put in the required effort, were scarce. The fees and course criteria were set by the individual instructor - from free to about $50.00. Course time was between 16 hrs -2 days. Thus the later formation of the AHEIA... and the internet.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:32 AM

Called today and got my number to add to the Win Card. Was very easy, she had my information in less then a minute.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
`As I recall the FAC was replaced by a PAL in 1995.
I think hunter training became a recommendation for first time hunters then but it wasn't until later that it became mandatory.

Previous hunter training courses were entirely voluntary so far as I know.

Mind you I was grande fathered in so I never was required to take the course.``

Thats the way I recall it. All courses that were offered prior to the late `80s to early 90`s were entirely voluntary. Some schools offered it, depending on the interests of a particular teacher but they were not part of the curriculum. Theres lots of confusion in this area due to the initial confusion by F&W in launching it.
From the beginning the initial Course content was excellent, but delivery was a major issue (time consuming) and qualified Instructors, willing to put in the required effort, were scarce. The fees and course criteria were set by the individual instructor - from free to about $50.00. Course time was between 16 hrs -2 days. Thus the later formation of the AHEIA... and the internet.
Should I scan the 1987 regulations? Mandatory testing came in that year.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Should I scan the 1987 regulations? Mandatory testing came in that year.
Would you please?

I've been trying to find any concrete reference to when it was implemented but so have have found nothing.

Not that I doubt you, but I would like to see the actual document. Or at least the pertinent part of it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 03:01 PM

Default competency exam

All four of my kids needed their competency exam to get their win card when they turned 12. 2005,2006 and 2 in 2007.

FH
Old 10-21-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
1987 the requirement to pass a Hunter Competency Test was introduced to the regulations. Passing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education Program qualified to meet that requirement. Or you could take an exam at a Fish and Wildlife office.

So unless you held a license prior to 1987 you would have to have passed a test or lied on your WIN card application.
Holy crap I’m old!!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Holy crap I’m old!!
LOL

My daughter is grandfathered in, she bought her first hunting license in 1984.
I guess I'm old too.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL

My daughter is grandfathered in, she bought her first hunting license in 1984.
I guess I'm old too.
Haha, yes you are!!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Would you please?

I've been trying to find any concrete reference to when it was implemented but so have have found nothing.

Not that I doubt you, but I would like to see the actual document. Or at least the pertinent part of it.
I had to fold it to get the pertinent parts to show on one scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987 Regs.jpg (79.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I appreciate that.

I was never sure when it became mandatory, now I know.

Thanks.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 04:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Haha, yes you are!!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Nice I wish I saved all my hunting synopsis have started saving them at my cabin for 12 years now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Default yea..

Yes 35....I Wish i would have kept mine too! I'll have a look ,I may have a Few of the fold out style.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Doesn't mention "In Alberta" along with "a person purchasing a recreational license for the first time." What if I was recreating in Saskatchewan or Botswana for years prior to 1987.

Didn't have to retake my driver training when I moved here so pfffftttt.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Doesn't mention "In Alberta" along with "a person purchasing a recreational license for the first time." What if I was recreating in Saskatchewan or Botswana for years prior to 1987.

Didn't have to retake my driver training when I moved here so pfffftttt.
Criminy....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunter Testing.jpg (43.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-15-2020, 07:52 AM

Default loophole

The big loophole in the reg is the "held a license in another jurisdiction". If she hunted with a guide in another province before applying for an alberta license it counts as having had a hunting license before.

All in all we only got part of the story and cannot make the call as to right or wrong. This story just proves how what someone says can make us do stupid things and have bad consequences.

TF
Old 11-15-2020, 09:37 AM

This is just my observation and could be wrong but this is my interpretation. some response indicate you need to meet the criteria of al the "OR" statements.
It is quite simple if you met the criteria of one the "OR' statements you are legal.
A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere. In the case of the original post the criteria was met with the first "OR" in the fact that the the individual has held previous hunting licences in the province of Alberta and therefore not deemed a first time hunter. The "OR" statements 2 and 3 do not apply.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
This is just my observation and could be wrong but this is my interpretation. some response indicate you need to meet the criteria of al the "OR" statements.
It is quite simple if you met the criteria of one the "OR' statements you are legal.
A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere. In the case of the original post the criteria was met with the first "OR" in the fact that the the individual has held previous hunting licences in the province of Alberta and therefore not deemed a first time hunter. The "OR" statements 2 and 3 do not apply.
You are correct. As long as you can say no to any one of the questions you are classed as a second plus time hunter.

TF
Old 11-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Exclamation To clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post
You are correct. As long as you can say no to any one of the questions you are classed as a second plus time hunter.

TF
If anyone falsified (lied) a document to purchase their first hunting license, in the eyes of the law they did not have a valid hunting license; they were poaching.
If their first hunting license was invalid, they never met the criteria of having been a "First Time Hunter". Therefore every license purchased after that was also invalid. They are considered a poacher for every additional license purchased after the initial false pretense.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
If anyone falsified (lied) a document to purchase their first hunting license, in the eyes of the law they did not have a valid hunting license; they were poaching.
If their first hunting license was invalid, they never met the criteria of having been a "First Time Hunter". Therefore every license purchased after that was also invalid. They are considered a poacher for every additional license purchased after the initial false pretense.
She did not have to lie. That is the entire point.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike_flyer View Post

TF
As long as you legally held that license, but if you lied to obtain a license, then you never legally held that license. Of course we don't know if the woman in question lied or not.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
She did not have to lie. That is the entire point.
The initial story is still unclear on her situation regarding her first hunting license. That will come out in court.
My comment was meant to clarify the (perceived) general misconception that if someone can get away with fraudulently obtaining their first license, they are free and clear to purchase further licenses. They are not.

I purchased my first hunting license a few years before the requirements changed in 1987. When the WIN card was implemented years later, I remember being asked to show proof of having completed my Hunter Training when filling out the form. Likely due to the fact the crusty old character behind the counter didn't want to have to deal with any problems the new regulations might create after the fact.
I completely agreed and brought the paperwork and certificate back to him the next day. Easy.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell