Nailed it.
Act 2:
White Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ok fund your business yourself”

Black Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ here is $250,000”

White Canadian: “thats not fair”

Government, media: “your a racist”

If there are different rules for different players in the same game, watch out.
Sorry but thats a kindergarten simplistic view of how the actual world works...but it fits your agenda so good right?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Nailed it.
Act 2:
White Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ok fund your business yourself”

Black Canadian: “I want to be an entrepreneur”

Government: “ here is $250,000”

White Canadian: “thats not fair”

Government, media: “your a racist”

If there are different rules for different players in the same game, watch out.

Black person: I will burn this commercial building down in support of BLM

White person: they are domestic terrorists!!

White person: they fish when I cant: lets burn their **** down!!

White cops/legal system: its a complicated issue bllaa blaa

White person: lets not jump to conclusions

Lol.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Seriously? Lol. What’s stopping them from becoming commercial fishermen and abiding by the law like everyone else?
Do you suppose $250,000 for a used lobster boat might be beyond the means of a hunter gatherer?

How about adding a few hundred lobster pots to the bill?

I think one has to consider the fact that most reserves have no industry. So no way for residents to accumulate the funds needed to buy into any industry.

And that's assuming they want to engage in raping the land.

But that's not what they are asking for is it. All I see them asking for is a moderate income, enough to pay bills and buy food.

Why do you think they must join the rush to strip the planet in order to participate in society.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
Talk of God and the rights he gave us makes some of ya roll our eyes too. I’m as white as white can get, Scandanavian mostly to be specific.

Clearwater has a boat with 6500 lobster traps, Indigenous boats don’t have 50. Clearwater takes almost 2 million pounds of lobster and pillages other things too. They set their own rules, have their own scientists making recommendations in their favour, break rules and laws incessantly, etc. I cannot decide if it is solely ignorance on this one or if this is a racially motivated on the thread.
What I do know is that when the Hutterian Brethren, when they eventually try swallow the last little farmer left, are met with resistance from Johnny who’s grandpa was a good old boy from the Ukraine who just wants to farm his half section, will be frowned on as a bad thing for rural Canada and Johnny will be a hero.
Clearwater is the offshore fishery. Inshore is a much much different fishery. Clearwater also just sold two licenses to a band for $25 million. So the band bought in. How it should be. I’m ok with that 100% to be honest.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 10-20-2020, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Of course, the Stuart’s of the land responsibly laying traps in the breeding grounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 065CE89E-17CB-4BDD-8DCE-33F42FE0D87D.jpg (16.6 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by 45-70man; 10-20-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70man View Post
Of course, the Stuart’s of the land responsibility laying traps in the breeding grounds.
And we know that is happening how?

I see non natives claiming that, I don't see the government acting upon those claims.
Why not?

Is it because it isn't true, or is it because the government doesn't care?

I honestly don't know. All I know is that false accusations are common in such disputes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...rest-1.5761468

Quote:
Social media posts being circulated by people defending the raid said egg-bearing female lobsters, which are not supposed to be harvested, and dozens of crates of frozen dead lobster were removed because they demonstrate poor fishing practices on the part of the Mi'kmaw fishermen.

But Sipekne'katik Chief Mike Sack said those lobsters are not his band's property and that the facilities that were raided buy and store from commercial fishermen and Mi'kmaw fishermen alike.

"That product is not ours at all. And all along the way [the commercial fishermen] have been trying to plant on our people, make it look like we're the ones that are hurting the species," Sack told reporters on Wednesday.
So who is telling the truth. Taking the law into ones hands is not a good foundation for trust in one's claims.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2020, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70man View Post
Of course, the Stuart’s of the land responsibly laying traps in the breeding grounds.
Just saying this "stuarts of the land" argument is pretty lame. Also completely out of touch to paint all Indigenous people like this dude tries to use it.

Yes thier are segments of our population that uphold the land.. nobody you see in the media.

They ain't anyone you would hear about they are in the bush with corps laying out where the medicines and herbs and animal habitat are...

Which is also ignored and then comes the dosers. Never fails.

Land is for profit. Period done.

Funny to hear people cry for harvesting rights cause it infringes on thier RECREATION time. They are so out of touch to realize that people still depend on those animals to survive. And on reserve, its way more people than you think.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you suppose $250,000 for a used lobster boat might be beyond the means of a hunter gatherer?

How about adding a few hundred lobster pots to the bill?

I think one has to consider the fact that most reserves have no industry. So no way for residents to accumulate the funds needed to buy into any industry.

But that's not what they are asking for is it. All I see them asking for is a moderate income, enough to pay bills and buy food.

Why do you think they must join the rush to strip the planet in order to participate in society.

White Canadians face the same expenditures and somehow come up with the money to do it, race isn’t a factor. I see a bunch of regulated fishermen upset over a two tiered system which allows abuse of conservation efforts. I’m sure if the fn abides by size restrictions and seasons outside of the spawning season that we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
Whats is the incentive of them becoming commercial fisherman? I just told you it would result in more traps in the water?

Also have told you they are havesting within the law.

Do some research, since 99 when the treaty was solidified in the supreme court BOTH sides have been asking for clarity from the feds.

R v Mashall in 99 upheld the Peace and Freindship Treaty of 1752 which gave the Mi'kmaq the right to hunt and fish thier lands and establish trade.

In 99 the supreme court said they have the right to not just sustain themselves by hunting and fishing, but to earn a "moderate livelihood " even in the offseason.

"The court defined "moderate livelihood" as a living that provided for "necessities" like food and shelter, but not the "accumulation of wealth". What that means practically was never addressed in the regulations, leaving a grey area that has yet to be resolved to this day."

"The Mi'kmaq have been waiting for decades to lay out regulations that uphold this ruling, but the government still has yet to do anything. So the Sipekne'katik First Nation is making their lobster fishery a test case, issuing just 11 licences, with the hopes of collecting data towards making the operation sustainable in the years to come. They are operating perfectly within the law.:

Same source as above.

So yeah there is a two tier system. It worked out for the Europeans, still does. The treaty said yeah, Canada gets the land, Indigenous people can hunt and fish it.

If you looked at the median income of such parties on both side, I bet it would lean heavy on the people burning building down...

They are harvesting within what law? A law for Canadians or a law for First Nations?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
They are harvesting within what law? A law for Canadians or a law for First Nations?
Im first nation. Pay taxes. I consider myself Canadian.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where does that money thay make go??? Off shore secret Indigenous accounts? Or back into those non indigenous bussiness that need it?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry but thats a kindergarten simplistic view of how the actual world works...but it fits your agenda so good right?
Taking Canadian tax payers money for yourself with no thanks and only screams of racism fits your agenda?

Your not a hunter or gather, you want money without the hard work. Join the club and fish within season and hunt within season. Start a business with loans from your parents. Risk it all for a lot. Non-indigenous people seem to do it all the time, why cant you? You need special help from those you seem to despise? Seems kindergarten to me.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Taking Canadian tax payers money for yourself with no thanks and only screams of racism fits your agenda?

Your not a hunter or gather, you want money without the hard work. Join the club and fish within season and hunt within season. Start a business with loans from your parents. Risk it all for a lot. Non-indigenous people seem to do it all the time, why cant you? You need special help from those you seem to despise? Seems kindergarten to me.
Uh huh. I aint taking the bait troll.

I make a good living by myself. Still do in these times. Have a good night bro.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
White Canadians face the same expenditures and somehow come up with the money to do it, race isn’t a factor. I see a bunch of regulated fishermen upset over a two tiered system which allows abuse of conservation efforts. I’m sure if the fn abides by size restrictions and seasons outside of the spawning season that we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.
Some do, many don't.

I've worked hard my whole life, yet there has never been a time when I could even consider buying into an industry with those kind of costs.

So you are right that for that part at least, race is not the deciding factor.

Race does become a factor when there is little to no industry on reserve and little to no opportunity off reserve.

I'd like to think you are right that this issue would not exist if FN abided by conservation practices.
But I'm not at all sure they don't.

I only know unsubstantiated accusations have been made by vigilantes.

Of course we can point to a few who abuse their privileges, but then too that's not about race. We have poachers in our race as well.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:

I've worked hard my whole life, yet there has never been a time when I could even consider buying into an industry with those kind of costs.
So have I Keg. So have all of us on here.

So have those that have given everything to cultivating a substainable lobster industry. A close friend went overboard a few years back and was never found. Thus, I'm a bit biased on this issue.

People are pizzed because the government they voted for is spending HUNDERS OF MILLIONS OF OUR DOLLARS buying licences and boats to GIVE the Mi'kmaw to use as they please. No quota, no regulations, seasons, limits, size restrictions, etc etc etc.

It's ridiculous.

If you were invested a million dollars or so into your operation, how would your feel?

Tree
Old 10-21-2020, 02:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
So have I Keg. So have all of us on here.

So have those that have given everything to cultivating a substainable lobster industry. A close friend went overboard a few years back and was never found. Thus, I'm a bit biased on this issue.

People are pizzed because the government they voted for is spending HUNDERS OF MILLIONS OF OUR DOLLARS buying licences and boats to GIVE the Mi'kmaw to use as they please. No quota, no regulations, seasons, limits, size restrictions, etc etc etc.

It's ridiculous.

If you were invested a million dollars or so into your operation, how would your feel?

Tree
I agree, it is ridiculous for the government to allow this to happen. And not define or set limits.

What I don't get is how government inaction becomes the FN's fault.

I too have a connection to this. My dad was born in Nova Scotia and all of his living relatives still live there. As does my second oldest sister.
And her husband (my BIL) is a Nova Scotia lobster fisherman.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM

I am not going to get into the muds slinging of FN or defend them. I spent enough time around FN and have a good number I call friend. From this I got to see/hear the good and the bad with FN harvest. Just like within the normal hunting/fishing community there is good ethical FN, clueless FN and their are complete scum. The difference comes in with the rules we are stuck following and level of enforcement

Simply rules regarding fish and wildlife need to be made with conservation being the priority not race. Looking after the resource needs to be number one
Old 10-21-2020, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Exactly.....here is a prime example of our own government creating an environment for its citizens to literally hate each other based on race, skin Color etc

The problem is the governing bodies for both....they need to take a step back and revisit conservation etc....not a 150 year old out dated piece of paper that is a shut up go away document.....we as Canadians can do better....I know people on both side of this fence that are great people and I have mentioned it before just because a brain dead government(s) says it legal,we don't have to do it....we can as a whole govern our actions first and foremost and send a message that way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Where does that money thay make go??? Off shore secret Indigenous accounts? Or back into those non indigenous bussiness that need it?
By your logic drug trafficking and theft are a good source of income if the dealer/thief spends the profit in the community..... bahaha!

Your poor me song doesn’t get you anywhere with me, I don’t care about your color. religion. or if you drive a Chevy or a ford. What I care about is your morals and ethics, your sense of right and wrong and your view of accountability.

I have native friends who are very wealthy, not because they wait for handouts or pity but because they worked for it. They don’t complain about what happened to their ancestors, they are bigger and smarter than that.

You hide behind the “it’s my right” and “it’s not against the law” even though you know full well it’s wrong, then act like it’s our governments fault that natives are harvesting on spawning grounds. Did our government take away your common sense? By the way your “rights” to our fish and wildlife are being abused it sure seems like it. Instead of shaking your head at harvesting lobster on a spawning ground with a total disregard for size limits, you defend it.

If it was a white guy just trying to make a living would you still support him?

If the answer is no, you’re racist.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
There is only "one" law. "It" recognizes differences between Indigenous rights and "settlers". The same courts, all the way up to the Supreme Court, make decisions for all of us.

Quote:
What I don't get is how government inaction becomes the FN's fault.
As with the Wet'suwet'en land claims, the various federal governments have failed to act decisively on court decisions from the 20th century. First Nations are in a mess not of their own making and so are the rest of Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Simply rules regarding fish and wildlife need to be made with conservation being the priority not race. Looking after the resource needs to be number one
There are varying views on the relationship of lobster seasons to conservation (https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/envir...-crossroads-3/). Both sides are represented by experts and fishers. Some claim that lobster harvesting seasons have little or nothing to do with conservation. From the few things I have read, especially from DFO, that seems to be the case.

This does not look like a conservation issue. It's a conflict between people who see their livelihoods threatened and others who see themselves as exercising their legal treaty rights. There is no absolute right or wrong in this case.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
There is only "one" law. "It" recognizes differences between Indigenous rights and "settlers". The same courts, all the way up to the Supreme Court, make decisions for all of us.

Common sense should be a law. You are just a proponent of racism. You are what’s dividing this country. By your logic I should have more rights to all things in Canada over all immigrants because I was born here. Like it or not, I’m just as Canadian as you or anyone else born in Canada. I don’t buy into your bs “but it’s a Supreme Court ruling”, so friggin what? If you know it’s wrong, it doesn’t matter what the court says.

I’m not a damn settler, I’m generations of Canada, my parents were born here, my grand parents were born here (3 out of 4). My home and native land is Canada.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Common sense should be a law. You are just a proponent of racism. You are what’s dividing this country. By your logic I should have more rights to all things in Canada over all immigrants because I was born here. Like it or not, I’m just as Canadian as you or anyone else born in Canada. I don’t buy into your bs “but it’s a Supreme Court ruling”, so friggin what? If you know it’s wrong, it doesn’t matter what the court says.

I’m not a damn settler, I’m generations of Canada, my parents were born here, my grand parents were born here (3 out of 4). My home and native land is Canada.
I am not in favour of racism and I don't appreciate being accused of it. I am in favour of the rule of law.

I don't think that you should have more rights over immigrants because you were born here. I do think that Indigenous rights exist in law in Canada.

Just because I don't agree with a law or a court decision doesn't mean I'm right and the law is wrong, although I certainly feel that way. That's what you are doing too, I think.

We need to stick to one law. No matter how upsetting it is, we can't just run the country according to what a few people think is right or wrong. However, we can work within the law to change things, maybe by passing new laws or by negotiations to reach new arrangements.

I put "settler" in quotation marks. If you remove them, I agree with you that neither of us are settlers. I never suggested that you were not Canadian.

I wish you could just discuss the issues in a civil fashion without resorting to name calling and accusations of BS. Guess not on this forum.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 AM

Given the precedence set in these native cases I look forward to the day I will be instilled rights and considerations above that of all the migrants that have come to Canada after my birth...whom have competed with and taken opportunity from me. I wouldn't even ask for financial support to get a leg up on these invaders. Just preferential access to land and resources would be fine. As precedence has indicated we clearly don't have to factor in the benefits those migrants have brought with them for which I might have benefitted.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Is there any concern of people farther west wanting to earn a moderate income from selling walleye and moose meat? , or does this specifically only deal with lobster?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I am not in favour of racism and I don't appreciate being accused of it. I am in favour of the rule of law.

I don't think that you should have more rights over immigrants because you were born here. I do think that Indigenous rights exist in law in Canada.

Just because I don't agree with a law or a court decision doesn't mean I'm right and the law is wrong, although I certainly feel that way. That's what you are doing too, I think.

We need to stick to one law. No matter how upsetting it is, we can't just run the country according to what a few people think is right or wrong. However, we can work within the law to change things, maybe by passing new laws or by negotiations to reach new arrangements.

I put "settler" in quotation marks. If you remove them, I agree with you that neither of us are settlers. I never suggested that you were not Canadian.

I wish you could just discuss the issues in a civil fashion without resorting to name calling and accusations of BS. Guess not on this forum.

Name calling? What are you trying to do? It’s pretty clear I didn’t call anyone a name.

How long do you think you can hide behind the excuse that it was written in the treaty? The natives out there fishing lobster are just doing it to show they can abuse the rights from the treaties and have the courts back them up. The men and women who make their living off of lobster fishing while following the conservation laws are protesting because the natives are rubbing it in their face. Of course they’re upset.

It’s been said so many times it seems cliche but those treaties were written with a feather dipped in ink!!! So much has changed since 1800 and everyone knows it, how long are we all supposed to play dumb is my question? We both know right from wrong.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:01 AM

First and foremost I believe ALL Canadians should be treated equally and governed under one law that does NOT favour race, religion, gender, etc.
No one on this forum has argued that FN have not been treated unfairly, inequitably and without bias or racism in the past.

Certainly, with respect to racism, this continues to date. However as it has also been pointed out by most, if not all, that this most recent negative reaction towards FN ( and other notable minorities) has arisen not because they do not wish these groups to be treated EQUALLY but rather because it is becoming apparent that additional latitudes, perks and preferential treatment is being granted to them which raises their abilities/standing ABOVE all others.

One does not gain equality of a previously downtrodden group by elevating position or stature of that same group to a higher position than all others - that is ridiculous and the outcome is rather predictable and obvious. All you've done is switched positions on an already inequitable footing.

So if you want to see hatred and negative bias continue then by all means, grant these groups special status and refuse to interpret vague and ridiculous terms like "modest income" in a court ruling and watch the fireworks. Allow them to remove themselves from the same enforcement construct as others are bound by and instead substitute self-enforcement by a patchwork of individual bands ( and even their own FN police) and see how that goes. We already saw foreshadowing of this in the railway blockades and the Mohawk police openly refusing to act on their own people even though they are sworn to uphold the same laws under the Criminal Code of Canada to both native and non-native people.

Meanwhile terms like "conservation" and "responsible harvesting practices" are applied generously to the rest of the population and some folks wonder why animosity exists and grows.

Now, in relation to statements that this is simply honouring Treaty rights agreed upon by our forefathers and that it is to be accepted in the full literal context it was written in well over a 100 years ago, then I ask you to consider the following.
Why is it okay to re-write history and apply today's standards, social norms and certain expectations on people, their actions and words but it is conversely not appropriate to re-open and suggest modern day practices such as conservation be applied to these historic treaty claims? Sir John A. MacDonald and others at the time were certainly not considered racist (by the standards of the day) yet we conveniently cherry-pick and apply modern standards when it suits some of us and not in cases where a different outcome is desired.

It seems to me that the lobster controversy would not be happening if FN chose to exercise harvesting rights WHILE respecting and not infringing upon conservation issues such as harvesting outside of "season", size/maturity of catch and adherence to accepted standards such as use of properly marked gear instead of ghost-gear, since these are all practices that were supposedly put into place for the health and fairness of the ENTIRE fishery regardless of who is at the other end of the line hauling up the gear.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
First and foremost I believe ALL Canadians should be treated equally and governed under one law that does NOT favour race, religion, gender, etc.
No one on this forum has argued that FN have not been treated unfairly, inequitably and without bias or racism in the past.

Certainly, with respect to racism, this continues to date. However as it has also been pointed out by most, if not all, that this most recent negative reaction towards FN ( and other notable minorities) has arisen not because they do not wish these groups to be treated EQUALLY but rather because it is becoming apparent that additional latitudes, perks and preferential treatment is being granted to them which raises their abilities/standing ABOVE all others.

One does not gain equality of a previously downtrodden group by elevating position or stature of that same group to a higher position than all others - that is ridiculous and the outcome is rather predictable and obvious. All you've done is switched positions on an already inequitable footing.

So if you want to see hatred and negative bias continue then by all means, grant these groups special status and refuse to interpret vague and ridiculous terms like "modest income" in a court ruling and watch the fireworks. Allow them to remove themselves from the same enforcement construct as others are bound by and instead substitute self-enforcement by a patchwork of individual bands ( and even their own FN police) and see how that goes. We already saw foreshadowing of this in the railway blockades and the Mohawk police openly refusing to act on their own people even though they are sworn to uphold the same laws under the Criminal Code of Canada to both native and non-native people.

Meanwhile terms like "conservation" and "responsible harvesting practices" are applied generously to the rest of the population and some folks wonder why animosity exists and grows.

Now, in relation to statements that this is simply honouring Treaty rights agreed upon by our forefathers and that it is to be accepted in the full literal context it was written in well over a 100 years ago, then I ask you to consider the following.
Why is it okay to re-write history and apply today's standards, social norms and certain expectations on people, their actions and words but it is conversely not appropriate to re-open and suggest modern day practices such as conservation be applied to these historic treaty claims? Sir John A. MacDonald and others at the time were certainly not considered racist (by the standards of the day) yet we conveniently cherry-pick and apply modern standards when it suits some of us and not in cases where a different outcome is desired.

It seems to me that the lobster controversy would not be happening if FN chose to exercise harvesting rights WHILE respecting and not infringing upon conservation issues such as harvesting outside of "season", size/maturity of catch and adherence to accepted standards such as use of properly marked gear instead of ghost-gear, since these are all practices that were supposedly put into place for the health and fairness of the ENTIRE fishery regardless of who is at the other end of the line hauling up the gear.
Very well said.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Very well said.
What he said about what c2c3po said.

I’d be interested in hearing what the members who support the fn actions in this case have to say about his post.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Is there any concern of people farther west wanting to earn a moderate income from selling walleye and moose meat? , or does this specifically only deal with lobster?
You can buy truckloads of walleye on the corner of hwy 17 and 16, there is a sign there with a phone number year round, even when the truck is not there.

This case may set precedent that will see a lot of animals wiped out west, to be sold out of the back of trucks.

Who nets alberta and saskatchewan lakes now?

Bad times ahead.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-21-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Name calling? What are you trying to do? It’s pretty clear I didn’t call anyone a name.

How long do you think you can hide behind the excuse that it was written in the treaty? The men and women who make their living off of lobster fishing while following the conservation laws are protesting because the natives are rubbing it in their face.
You said that I was a "proponent of racism". That is name calling. You called me a three-word name, no different from "racist" because you added to it. I am not "trying to do" anything except point out what you wrote. How can you deny it? You called me a racist.

I am not hiding behind anything.The courts of Canada have decided that the treaties have legal standing. We can re-negotiate but until that happens we have to recognize the treaties, even if we don't like their provisions.

The biologists, DFO and many lobster fishers do not think that the lobster seasons are based on conservation. Did you read the link I provided?