Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM

Default Crossing border with supplies

OK I know some of this has been discussed before but could someone tell me if I can bring some Berger Bullets across on my own. I can't find the link to the gov site so if someone has it and doesn't feel like typing than just shoot that over please. I can't remember how much is allowed to come across if any.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
troller

Hope this is of some help. I would try to narrow it down more for you but I am short of time this am

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5056-eng.html

Or maybe here?

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/cus...r_Services.htm
Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 AM

Rackmaster will have the definative response on this, but if memory serves you have no problems under Canadian law, but under US law (which you are subject to due to your physical presence in the US) you CANNOT legally purchase ammo, bullets, etc. and bring back to canada without a bunch of permits/paperwork.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Default crossing border

A few of us that regurally follow the gun show circuit in western Canada will sometimes travel to the larger shows in the U.S. and a while back we heard stories of problems returning to Canada but paid it no mind since we had been doimg this for many years and taking anything back to Canada was never a bigf issue as long as the proper Canadian paperwork was completed when returning. In 2008 when returning from Reno by vehicle we were stopped at the US exit point at Sweetgrass and searched and everything that my buddy had purchased that was gun related was seized, some ammo, parker-hale stock and sling, 2 barrels, some primers, several gun cases, several clips, and other related items. I had purchased nothing at the show and had no issues other than being detained. After a very thorough search and aprox 14 hours (without food and water)as we were very cooperative we were released and told to leave the country. In january of this year we were both headed by air to vegas and my buddy was denied access at the US customs at Edmonton airport and is currently going through a lengthy legal battle to get access again. This year at the Tacoma gun show ATF was observed in the parking lot writing down licence plate numbers of Canadian vehicles as there are usually several.
I can only guess that I had no issues because it was my friends vehicle.
To sumarize, if it has anything to do with guns even in the gray areas, they will take it if caught. The personal amount that you are allowed to return with is a Canadian law and carrys no leverage down there, simply not worth the risk anymore.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 PM

No
You can't buy bullets in the USA and bring them back. They now have a manned station on the USA side checking vehicles on the way out of the USA at several border crossings. Also if you get pulled over in the states for something as simple as a speeding ticket and the officer decides to serch your vehicle you will likely end up in jail, they take thier homeland security pretty seriously.

I live about 20 miles from the border and used to go across 2-3 times a month for groceries and shopping (closest store was across the line), now I don't go very often. You get treated like a criminal by the US side. I have known a few of the US guards for 20ish years, but all of a sudden thier attitude changed and we are all criminals.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:50 PM

this is an interesting post..i just was in sweetgrass today to pick up a package..and ya the US side treats you much differently than the canadian side...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 PM

could you not just buy them at russels or wholesale?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
this is an interesting post..i just was in sweetgrass today to pick up a package..and ya the US side treats you much differently than the canadian side...
I crossed from Soo ON to Soo MI and the US Customs dude says "Welcome Home", he was real pleasant until I told him I wasn't home. They are too familiar with seeing ON plates on vehicles that he mistook my AB plate for some state tag. I have often wondered if our own CBSA treats US citizens with the same disdain that US Customs treats Canadians?

Sometimes I think the "Veteran" plates work favourably when crossing the line...they do like their vets
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM

I cross into the US at least 4x a year by vehicle. I have always been treated great by the US border guards.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 PM

crossed last week ,gotta say border guards on US side not good
Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM

It's a PITA. I talked to the BATF and was told go ahead and buy primers,powder and bullets.Then called" The Gestapo" AKA Dept of Homeland Security AKA Border guys and was told no way no how.These yoyos arn't even on the same page!What do you expect with a President like their's.The honeymoon is over reguarding Obama he is not well liked in MT I can tell you that.At a local sporting goods store they had a sign resticting people from a max of buying 400 rds a day and gun sales have rocketed like every election year.At least they're getting prepared JIC..............The pawn shops were full of goodies as the economy has went down the crapper Stateside..........Harold.... It pi$$es one off to see powder at $15 a lb

Last edited by Pioneer2; 09-07-2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: cause I can
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Here is a link to the regulations regarding the exporting guns and ammo from the states. Regs have been there since 2002 and they are just starting to enforce them on Canadians.

http://www.nafr.org/PDF/p5300_18.pdf
Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

I think they've started to crack down... I used to get some scopes from Ebay.ca from the US but in the past year a lot of the big names haven't been putting scopes for sale and a few new guys seem to have taken over. I guess the big guys got shut down and the little less reputatable guys have started up for the time being...
Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 PM

The problem is with Homeland Security. They do collect the license plate of every Canadian vehicle at the gun shows, and I bet the gun stores as well. While our government may allow the importation of these items.... the dept of Homeland security does not allow the exportation. The penalty can be as minor as confiscation of the item or as major as arrest and confiscation of your vehicle etc. My brother was down last spring for a long weekend of riding the dunes in Idaho... he bought a .22 conversion kit for a Glock handgun... perfectly legal in Canada... (I own one) was stopped just shy of the border by Dept of Homeland.... and it was taken from him. He was cooperative and handed it over without question... also had a decent guy to deal with... other than being out $400 US and a little time it was pretty minor.... long story short.... you can't buy any firearms etc in the States and bring them back... at present... My guess is that as long as Obama is around... it won't get any better. BLH
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

Default FFL Exporters

From my understanding you can buy guns, ammo and other related parts as long as:

You never have any of it in your possesion in the US; and that it is bought for you by a person possesing an FFL. And that person goes through the propper channels of exporting it to Canada.

But that's just wht I understand of it all........I may be wrong?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Can I order a scope or bino's from Cabela's? Or have they said to hell with the beureaucratic bs?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Can I order a scope or bino's from Cabela's? Or have they said to hell with the beureaucratic bs?
From Cabelas Canada yes. From Cabelas in the states you would only get the binos shipped. I have tried to get rifle scopes shipped a couple of times from the states into Canada and the answer is always the same. No. The fines for shipping a scope out of the states without the proper permits is extremely high.

Here is an example of what one manufacturer got fined.

Firearms Manufacturer Penalized for Unlicensed Exports of Rifle Scopes
Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement Michael J. Garcia today announced that Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc., of Southport, Conn., has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $11,000 to settle an allegation that it exported rifle scopes to Oman without the required license. A license is required to export the rifle scopes to most destinations in order to ensure that the scopes will not be used to violate human rights.

The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) had alleged that Sturm, Ruger had sent a shipment of 12 rifle scopes from the United States to Oman without obtaining the required export license from BIS. The $11,000 penalty is the maximum authorized for that charge.

BIS administers and enforces export and reexport controls for reasons of national security, foreign policy, nonproliferation, antiterrorism, and short supply. Criminal penalties and administrative sanctions can be imposed for violations of the Export Administration Regulations.

Assistant Secretary Garcia commended Special Agent William Higgins of the Office of Export Enforcement's Boston field office for his investigation of this case.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Sigh, this homeland security bit is becoming just a lot of bullshyte. Because as we all know the 9/11 bombers all came from Canada. I'm sorry, but copying down the plate #'s of people partaking in a legal activity should be illegal in itself.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Default stuff from the states

I don't know if this has been tried yet, but could you order glass from cabelas in the states and have them ship it to cabelas in canada then have them ship it to you? Don't know if it would work??
Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Depending on the cost I doubt it would be worth it.

Now I'm really ****ed off. I was looking at Cabela's Gun Library, and I saw a No.4 Mk I (T) for including box for $3500. And I can't get it here w/o jumping through a thousand hoops or finding a good smuggler.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Depending on the cost I doubt it would be worth it.

Now I'm really ****ed off. I was looking at Cabela's Gun Library, and I saw a No.4 Mk I (T) for including box for $3500. And I can't get it here w/o jumping through a thousand hoops or finding a good smuggler.
Maybe give this guy a call. He might be able to help. Here is a link to his importing services.

http://www.prophetriver.com/content.php?id=import
Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 AM

I went across the Top of the World Highway this summer and the US Border Agent was a F- -king B-t-h. We had our passports in order and she had a personality of a brick. I should have taken her picture and posted on american losers.