Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Default Pressure Switch

My cistern pump started doing weird things. Seems like the pressure switch is hooped. Run the water ever so slightly and the pump is on - off. Have a shower and it's on-off constantly. Is this a common thing ? Tried adjusting it and I got it to act a bit better but the pressure in the shower is almost non existent to full pressure. Still too erratic though. Is it common for a pressure switch to go ? Anyone ? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
My cistern pump started doing weird things. Seems like the pressure switch is hooped. Run the water ever so slightly and the pump is on - off. Have a shower and it's on-off constantly. Is this a common thing ? Tried adjusting it and I got it to act a bit better but the pressure in the shower is almost non existent to full pressure. Still too erratic though. Is it common for a pressure switch to go ? Anyone ? Thanks in advance.
Sorry just a quick suggestion, what's the condition of your tank and bladder?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 AM

Sounds like your expansion tank has no pre-charge left. My bet is you need a new pressure tank (or bladder if it is a replaceable variety) by that description. The pressure switch sounds to be doing what it’s supoosed to, off and on as required, it is the lack of any of the buffering effect of the pressure tank that is making the switch turn off and on so rapidly. At the bare minimum it might need some air pumped in and a cap screwed on the air snifter if pressure is leaking out of the snifter rather than a compromised air bladder.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Sounds like your expansion tank has no pre-charge left. My bet is you need a new pressure tank (or bladder if it is a replaceable variety) by that description. The pressure switch sounds to be doing what it’s supoosed to, off and on as required, it is the lack of any of the buffering effect of the pressure tank that is making the switch turn off and on so rapidly. At the bare minimum it might need some air pumped in and a cap screwed on the air snifter if pressure is leaking out of the snifter rather than a compromised air bladder.
X2

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM

I think Caber is dead on.

I'd be tempted to replace the pressure switch while I was at it unless it is fairly new. They are cheap and a pretty easy job. To me the peace of mind is worth it to keep everything running smoothly and knowing your pressure system is reliable.

I don't know how your home works, but whenever we have water problems it just raises the stress level of the whole house, especially mine. It always seems that you have problems at the worst possible time too, like when I am away.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM
AO Sponsor

My pump originally worked awesome and would kick on fast when water was being consumed, but over time it would wait longer and longer to kick on with the pressure dropping. Eventually it got to a point where all the water pressure would drop off to zero and it would stop working, then a minute or two later the pump would kick in and re-pressurize the system.

I was told it was probably the tank or the switch as well. I decided to change the switch out first and it still had the same issue and though I would need to buy a new tank, but on a whim I decided to take off the pressure switch feed tube from the pump side (ie not at the switch itself). My instinct was right and it was plugged up at the nipple with a bit of crud. I blew it out and re-attached the tube and voila! Everything was back to perfect again...

Might be worth a look. You are out nothing if it isn't that.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Default :happy0034:

Thanks for the input guys. I picked up a new switch today hoping for a cheap fix. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:59 PM

try bleeding the pressure tank from the top bicycle pump valve on the top, if you get water coming out then it's your bladder. I just went thru the pressure switch replacement and the symptoms were different (it would not engage the pump at all) I replaced the switch and it was back to normal.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM

I'm at about five years on a pressure system that requires no air bladder, built in pressure switch and no need to hardwire. Would't use anything else.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 PM

A check valve should figure in this system as well.... Immediate loss of pressure and cycle? Even a waterlogged tank will hold the differential of the P. Switch .

B.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM

To check a pressure tank it must be isolated and drained. Air pressure should be 3psi below CUT IN pressure of the pump.

B.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

To check a pressure tank it must be isolated and drained off water pressure. Air pressure should be 3psi below CUT IN pressure of the pump.

B.