Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 PM

Great Thread!!
Thouroughly enjoyed reading..
Very interesting words words exchanged between
You and cop..need tons more of his type too!!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I guess we've been lucky. Our security system consists of 3 dogs and a motion light outside. We feel pretty safe out here. I don't own any firearms and don't feel the need to. The vehicles are usually locked at night but it has been forgotten. The garage is locked but like I said the bay door was left open for 3 days and nothing was missing. We leave our door unlocked when we go to work for the day. Lock it at night. Being a small town, I am sure a neighbor would notice a strange vehicle in our driveway loading up my stuff.
So with the exception of the recent theft there has been no theft in your town or the surrounding area?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
So with the exception of the recent theft there has been no theft in your town or the surrounding area?
I don't know. I've lived here for 5 years and there is nothing that I have heard of that would get me worried to the point of putting my property on lock down. I know last year or maybe the year before there was a break in and I think a car was stolen. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't heard of much.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I don't know. I've lived here for 5 years and there is nothing that I have heard of that would get me worried to the point of putting my property on lock down. I know last year or maybe the year before there was a break in and I think a car was stolen. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't heard of much.
Wow someone so sensible around here and you get the paranoid users telling you how your living your life wrong. Your supposed to fear everyone, your supposed to live your life in fear and be prepared to fight every person you see in the country because everyones always robbing everyone.

There are way too many rural folk playing the victim or the vigilante on here.

Crime crime crime!! The world is ending.

Ill say it again.. glad to see a few posts on here from people who are so reasonable and not pushing fear and vigilantism.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Then there's also those of us who refuse to live our lives on the defensive. We cultivate good, alert neighbours who aren't afraid of approaching strangers with a friendly "Hi - can I help you with something?". Sure we take reasonable precautions, but often leave our home and car unlocked, items unattended, and deliveries left on our porch.
This senior has never been robbed, seriously threatened, scammed or hacked - ever, and I feel sorry for people who live fearful lives.

Sure, it can happen to me, but I'll accept that - there's too many good things to enjoy in this short life without a paranoia of the bad.
this forum needs more sensible people like you around here...
Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
this forum needs more sensible people like you around here...
So are you saying I should have just watched out the window or just turned a blind eye? If I don't watch it happen I can pretend it didn't happen?

Some people better start realizing there are people out stealing with apparently nothing to lose, and lock your stuff up.

I live in a tiny town where not long ago crime was almost nonexistent.

They are now here. They need to know they are not safe here.

We cultivate relationships with the towns nearby and all our neighbours so they know that in time of need if we can we will help. Not hide in the basement under the bed and pray 'not me not me.'

Thumper there is a difference between living a scared and fearful life as you put it and doing something about it. We take the rcmps words to heart; let us know what you can and we will fight for you.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
This senior has never been robbed, seriously threatened, scammed or hacked - ever, and I feel sorry for people who live fearful lives.

It must be nice.

I used to have the same sense of security until I lost about $15k worth of stuff insurance wouldn't cover because it wasn't specified on the policy that it was being stored at the cabin.

From the sounds of it you don't have much time left, I hope you're able to to get through life without having to face the reality of crime. I don't live life in fear, there's a difference between living in fear and not being naive.

I was naive, now I know better and because I've been a victim of theft I've taken precautions to lesson the chances of losing possessions paid for with hard earned money. I don't care if you take my advice, but it's people like you who make easy targets and suffer the greatest loss when it happens.

Tell a cop, someone who deals with this reality on a daily basis your secret to not being a victim, I'd love to hear their response.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Crime was once a city thing now its spread out to rural areas because of slow police response times and people actually brag about leaving their cars and doors unlocked. What could be an easier target than an unlocked shop or house the crooks know the cops won't do much to solve the crime if they even bother to come out to investigate at all.
The catch and release justice system supports crime more than it does to stop it and by making yourself an easy target you are contributing to the rise of insurance rates for the rest of us.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Crime was once a city thing now its spread out to rural areas because of slow police response times and people actually brag about leaving their cars and doors unlocked. What could be an easier target than an unlocked shop or house the crooks know the cops won't do much to solve the crime if they even bother to come out to investigate at all.
The catch and release justice system supports crime more than it does to stop it and by making yourself an easy target you are contributing to the rise of insurance rates for the rest of us.
The catch and release legal system is the biggest factor by far. Not only are the criminals not afraid of being punished, but they know the system will protect them from the homeowners. Bring in castle law where a homeowner has the lehal right to protect his property, and the situation would change dramatically. At the very least, we can be sure that dead criminals don't commit further crimes.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Ive lived between the rez and town for 35 years and never had any break ins or thefts, have always left my house and vehicles unlocked. This past year I started locking it all and did some fortifications to my doors. I can sleep better knowing if someone wants in that bad i'll be waiting. The increase in unknown vehicles going by real slow changed my thinking.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We cultivate relationships with the towns nearby and all our neighbours so they know that in time of need if we can we will help.
This is an excellent statement, Ken - Something we should all be doing in our communities. It goes a long way to ramp up security, and has spinoff benefits as well - especially if one of your neighbors makes good beer...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
This is an excellent statement, Ken - Something we should all be doing in our communities. It goes a long way to ramp up security, and has spinoff benefits as well - especially if one of your neighbors makes good beer...
Thank you and i agree. We were following the guy around taking turns in separate vehicles all the time on whatsapp. That little circle now knows they are known by the citizens and with any luck will move to Edmonton lol

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM

PV rink?.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The catch and release legal system is the biggest factor by far. Not only are the criminals not afraid of being punished, but they know the system will protect them from the homeowners. Bring in castle law where a homeowner has the lehal right to protect his property, and the situation would change dramatically. At the very least, we can be sure that dead criminals don't commit further crimes.
you nailed it with this quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
PV rink?.
yessir- long gone the RCMP had it towed

Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You obviously have no clue of rural life and the people that live there or what has been going on for the past 2-3 years. Rural folk do not play the victim, it is not a "position" they wanted it was one that was forced on them because of a failed provincial/federal govt. and their refusal to change the laws/punishment regarding theft.

They have not only been abandoned by the govt's and the RCMP but have been told by them to just bend over and take it. Sounds like that may be your style, but I can assure that it is not now, and never has been the rural style.
I guess you want to ignore the few quotes from rural folk in this thread that arent concerned about crime. They arent worried about being a vigilante. They get by just fine without crying about crime at every chance...

Imagine that for a second. Rural folk who dont constantly whine and cry about crime and live a happy life.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess you want to ignore the few quotes from rural folk in this thread that arent concerned about crime. They arent worried about being a vigilante. They get by just fine without crying about crime at every chance...

Imagine that for a second. Rural folk who dont constantly whine and cry about crime and live a happy life.
Just out of curiosity, what is your point here? Are you trying to downplay crime by calling people whiners?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

I am not ignoring rural folk who are not worried about crime in their area, and am happy for them. Rural crime in our area over the past 2-3 years has been brutal, with some weeks last summer and fall having 5-10 people hit 2-3 times a week.
You may consider that a whine, but theft in many places is real, there are reports on it province wide. People are frustrated, angry, scared and house B/E seems to be getting worse. Can't understand people like you who seem to enjoy making fun of and demeaning people who are having grief. Do you do this with everyone or just rural people?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is your point here? Are you trying to downplay crime by calling people whiners?
With all the negativity on this forum it was refreshing to see a few posters living in a rural setting who are happy and living life with a positive attitude.

Of course theres been multiple people telling them their living life wrong and need to change... LOL!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
With all the negativity on this forum it was refreshing to see a few posters living in a rural setting who are happy and living life with a positive attitude.

Of course theres been multiple people telling them their living life wrong and need to change... LOL!
By negativity do you mean people complaining because they've been the victim of theft? So you condone theft and criminals, applaud people for being passive towards it.... I think I know exactly where you're coming from.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 PM

The rural crime problem is not so much in the towns...it is where your neighbors could be a mile apart...no one to help or watch out for you. I met an 80 yr.old farmer and his wife that had been robbed 3 times in 2 months. The creep(s) stole some stuff...must have liked what they were seeing and came back for more. He was outside during one event and came face to face with an intruder(who was wearing a mask)...no violence occurred but it sure has made the old couple nervous now. I don't know about this R3illy, but I get real angry when older folks can't live out the rest of their years on their property without being scared of this crap!
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Johnny Cash wrote a song ken...don't bring your guns to town "ken" leave your guns at home "ken"....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Not right in your home town Ken, but not that far away. It seems like a lot of criminal activity in the North Battleford to Lloydminster vicinity recently.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/crime...ime=1519326813
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehgun View Post
The rural crime problem is not so much in the towns...it is where your neighbors could be a mile apart...no one to help or watch out for you. I met an 80 yr.old farmer and his wife that had been robbed 3 times in 2 months. The creep(s) stole some stuff...must have liked what they were seeing and came back for more. He was outside during one event and came face to face with an intruder(who was wearing a mask)...no violence occurred but it sure has made the old couple nervous now. I don't know about this R3illy, but I get real angry when older folks can't live out the rest of their years on their property without being scared of this crap!
Well said. The crime is one thing, but the fear left afterwards in the residents who live there(especially our aging farmers) is unforgiveable.....
Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Johnny Cash wrote a song ken...don't bring your guns to town "ken" leave your guns at home "ken"....
argh, what a horrible earworm you planted. Thanks for that. NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not right in your home town Ken, but not that far away. It seems like a lot of criminal activity in the North Battleford to Lloydminster vicinity recently.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/crime...ime=1519326813
That is a terrible corridor. Constant criminal activity.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Banned

My neighbor who own 2 quarters kitty corner to my place got broken into last night. Guns, bullets, generators, brand new husqvarna chainsaw, compressor, nail gun, and that's just some of the stuff he mentioned over the phone to me, he hadn't taken inventory of everything, that's just what he noticed.

Cops said it's the same guys over and over again. They catch them, throw them in jail, then by the time the court case comes up it's time served and they're off again.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My neighbor who own 2 quarters kitty corner to my place got broken into last night. Guns, bullets, generators, brand new husqvarna chainsaw, compressor, nail gun, and that's just some of the stuff he mentioned over the phone to me, he hadn't taken inventory of everything, that's just what he noticed.

Cops said it's the same guys over and over again. They catch them, throw them in jail, then by the time the court case comes up it's time served and they're off again.
Tiny bit off topic and do not want to derail you Kurt, but I hope if he does not have photographic memory he has a video or pics of his belongings. Every year or so, or after major purchases I walk the house and shop, get proof of everything I own just for that case.
In my tool boxes alone I could not recall everything and that could mean several thousand dollars I won't get back.
I used to back up everything to photobucket, now have to do it elsewhere I guess. I use postimage but a guy could email them to himself, hide a usb stick in the shop and house, wherever for several backup.
Sorry about your neighbor, that's rough.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Tiny bit off topic and do not want to derail you Kurt, but I hope if he does not have photographic memory he has a video or pics of his belongings. Every year or so, or after major purchases I walk the house and shop, get proof of everything I own just for that case.
In my tool boxes alone I could not recall everything and that could mean several thousand dollars I won't get back.
I used to back up everything to photobucket, now have to do it elsewhere I guess. I use postimage but a guy could email them to himself, hide a usb stick in the shop and house, wherever for several backup.
Sorry about your neighbor, that's rough.
Thats good thinking ken, i often do the same. Pics of tools, rifles, fishing gear. Keep a copy on a cheap littlr usb storage thingy. Keep a copy in safe at home in office, and sdb at bank.

Saved my butt when our office moved and they wabted to ding for damage previous to us moving in. Pictures sent, and they immediately took my side.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
PV rink?.
they have the best rink burgers
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM

Another thing that came up in conversation with a member here, is if and when you see someone that you may need to identify, make some notes or text yourself some details for the RCMP. I can identify a truck but could not talk a sketch artist into drawing my wifes face.

Next time I have to do it, I will do a talk to text so I remember age, weight, height, length of hair and color, skin compexion, and eye color, clothing color, facial hair, skin tone, tattoos, accent, distinguishing features, all I can to pick him/her out of a lineup.

Just a thought.