Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Weird Things Found In Trout Stomachs

What are some of the weird things that you have found in rainbow trout stomachs?

As I was fishing earlier this winter I was fishing for rainbows and kept a couple to fry up, when I got the fillets off I noticed some weird things in their stomachs and intestines. I can say I have never seen anything like these before.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it2zWbFjcuA

Jump to 2:12 for the corn and about 5:55 for the rock.
Up to 2:12 I was talking a bit about how chumming is illegal in any sort of manner in Alberta. I have seen many people use corn at stocked ponds to chum for trout and I am sure that is what happened with the first trout.

As for the second trout......I have no idea why it would go and eat a rock.

Tight Lines. I'm headed out later today to get some more fishing in thankfully.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Default Fish somach

The fish might have eaten the rock because some insect or plant was attached to it.
How about three fish in one--I caught a fairly large cod fish, when cleaning I found another cod fresh in the stomach, you guess it there was another in its stomach, I guess its a good idea to hang out with guys your own size in the cod world.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 AM

It's maddening when you get to a place and regularly find corn floating in the water - this one place I'm thinking of, I'm beginning to wonder if it's from the locals - chumming after they're done to reduce the bite for the ones that show up after them on the dock... But that's just pure speculation...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 AM

I think people often just dump the remaining corn they have. No use bringing home a 1/4 can of $.99 corn. Lazy and damaging, yes.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM

Found a frog and a mouse in a large brook trout I caught in the beaver dams in Waterton area. They eat anything.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Banned

I once discovered a Berkley Power Craw in a Lake Trouts’ stomach and I caught a walleye one time that had about a 4” length of monofilament protruding from its butthole. It was passing the line, it wasn’t snagged!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Suspended User

Cigarette butts... Found some in a brood trout years ago.
Why do smokers think its OK to throw the things anywhere? And why haven't those things been legislated to be biodegradable?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The fish might have eaten the rock because some insect or plant was attached to it.
How about three fish in one--I caught a fairly large cod fish, when cleaning I found another cod fresh in the stomach, you guess it there was another in its stomach, I guess its a good idea to hang out with guys your own size in the cod world.
The idea of why the rock may have been in the stomach is an interesting one. Possibly the answer. I cannot think of any other good answer as to why it would have eaten a rock.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Default Powerbait Freshness Seal

Not all that weird I suppose, but another cautionary tale; I found the silver freshness seal from a powerbait jar inside a rainbow once. Totally inorganic and awful to think the poor guy had been living like that, it had even been folded in half so it more closely resembled a smaller fish.

I’ll never understand how people who quite clearly enjoy fishing and using the resource can sabotage it through complete and utter negligence and laziness.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Snails in Rainbows Ice Fishing

Had some 16 " rainbows after Christmas that had snails, yes Snails! in the stomach.

That really surprised me!!

That may be why a trout had a rock in its stomach if the mistake was made for a snail!

Drewski
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM

The rock could have been a mistake also attempting to eat a Caddis pupa as they use Little Rock’s stuck to them just like a cacoon.just google it it’s hard to explain.lol
Old 02-21-2018, 12:09 PM

I have also caught bigger rainbows in lakes with snails, large snails, One had 3 or 4 of them.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Ok I have a good one from lake newell a few years ago. Was ice fishing boat launch area at kinbrook with the girlfriend. Had camera down and could see half dozen 3 inch perch in area. I looked up at something briefly, looked back at camera to see the perch had scattered. Girlfriend yelled out she has a good one on and managed to land a 24inch rainbow! There was a quick bonk and a cleaning of said rainbow and when I checked stomach contents to my surprise was most of those tiny perch that had 'scattered' seconds earlier. Craziest thing was some were still alive enough that I released them and they swam away! I have some pics of it somewhere I will try and find
Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
The rock could have been a mistake also attempting to eat a Caddis pupa as they use Little Rock’s stuck to them just like a cacoon.just google it it’s hard to explain.lol
I already know what you mean, I just find it hard to believe that would be the reason because if a Caddis larva was to try and use pepples like the one that I show in the video, it would be the Goliath of all goliaths of Caddis larva (meaning none exist big enough to use the pebble in the trout stomach as part of their cacoon)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Had some 16 " rainbows after Christmas that had snails, yes Snails! in the stomach.

That really surprised me!!

Drewski
Snails are regular normal everyday food for trout and other fish. I find it odd that that surprises you
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I have also caught bigger rainbows in lakes with snails, large snails, One had 3 or 4 of them.
x2 Me as well
Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 AM

I once caught a fat rainbow from Blood Indian that had a large beetle in its stomach. When it was removed from the stomach, it started walking across my table. I kid you not. As someone who is absolutely terrified of insects (yes, an outdoorsman afraid of insects), I nearly fainted
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Had a Pike eat my flasher transducer last winter. Cost me 130. Bucks.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM

I caught a bull trout that had a T-bone in it. I don't know how it didn't puncture it's stomach as you could see the bulge in it's gut.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Nesting Dolls of the fish world.........

BH

Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM

Caught quite a few big pike in Mackenzie river near fort providence with 4 to 6 pound pike in their stomach! Tail still showing at the back of the throat, and still chasing my jig!
Old 02-22-2018, 03:19 PM

caught lake trout at lake minnawanka with grapes and chicken bones in the stomach