Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Dore Lake

Headed up to tower lodge on the north east corner of Dore right away. Never been. Any tips? Will report back.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Haven't been to that lodge but I love Dore lake. Very jealous of you right now!!!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Was there 3 days last year. Caught 3 pike. Hope you have better luck.
Going to paradise lodge in Manitoba this year
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Headed up to tower lodge on the north east corner of Dore right away. Never been. Any tips? Will report back.

Thanks
I've stayed up at that lodge before its a great set up! From the people I have been talking to the walleye bite has been lights out the last few weeks with the odd big pike mixed in. I am very jealous.. Good luck up there!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Was there 3 days last year. Caught 3 pike. Hope you have better luck.
Going to paradise lodge in Manitoba this year
Three pike in three days??
Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Hey moose do you have a boat big enough to run the whole lake comfortably.

At this point the pike are moving out of spring patterns but I would still give the spawning bays a try.

So using Tower lodge as the hub the closest spawning bay is moose bay to the south but it weeds up fast and the big girls leave it can be tricky to get into due to a sandbar.

One thing to be careful off is that whole shore by Tower lodge is pretty rocky and give the point a wide pass, I assume the folks at tower will give you a run down

Now on the other side of the point from basically Michelle lodge to the end of the point in the evening especially you can bottom bounce for walleye and a surprising number of large pike considering it’s miles to the nearest cabbage bed.

South west from there you can do the same thing but its lots of pretty barren sand flats I have spent many evenings fishing there on my kayak never lots of fish but rarely do I get skunked either.

I don’t fish south bay (where Dore lodge is in) a ton it’s worth a try.

There is a rounded point on the NW mouth of south bay on the south bay side there is a spot called big grassy Basically there is a big ledge at the mouth and 200 yards or so either side of that drop off is a solid spot. Bottom bouncing on the deep side should produce walleye but I am not a great judge of that since I mostly catch walleye by accident.

The other side of that point is another spot if you look at google maps you will see where the sand beach meets the point if you start there and go back up the point ½ to 2/3 is a good place to either troll of if the wind is right drift and cast for pike.

Caution that point is another rocky place give it space.

The other side of that bay has a couple of small cabbage beds.

There is a cabin on the tip of the next point, to me on google maps the end of the point resembles a face there is a cabbage bed between the nose and the top lip. This is one of the best summer spots. This is another spot to be very careful those little points go way out into the lake. When I go onto the next stop “Saskatoon Island” I probably go out a half mile at least before making the turn.

The next bay is Smith bay and it is permanently closed to fishing.

But on the north side mouth of smith bay is Saskatoon Island the best fishing is from the south tip to about half way though I have caught fish along the whole length.

The last stop (or first depending on the day) on the loop I usually do is T bay or this time of year the mouth of T bay so if you look east of Burt Island on the mainland you will see a bay that oddly looks like a t, that is another of the main spawning bays it can be tricky to get into the first time but there is a 8-9 foot channel close to the little island when you clear the little island you should see an old trappers cabin that whole bay is great most of the summer. I would try going into T Bay though just like moose bay water temp and weeds probably has pushed the big girls out.

Spruce point is another place where other folks have had luck but I don’t fish it much.

Be careful there are lots of rock reefs in odd places and if the wind picks up the waves can get hairy
Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM

X2 on T Bay.

Bring yellow 5 of diamonds Canadian wigglers for this channel.

Stay in the channel before the big weedy bay. Cast and reel in slow. The minnows will actually jump in schools like herring on the coast trying to get away from the Pike and walleye. Very tiring fishing, which will spoil you rotten on size and numbers.

As for across to the south on Tower Lodge, alot of guys pull the BIGGEST Ratlle Trap you can get. Every year 10 pd + walleye are caught in the bay.

Blue and Chrome is the key colour. Bring a big cooler and fill it with ice to take home something worth mounting.

You can also use a bottom bouncer with a Rap Husky Jerk 14 in blue / silver as well.

The big fish here feed heavy on cisco / tulibee, which is why blue / chrome & black chrome works so well.

This is a big lake so respect it. Lots of gas, lots of water and food, and if its too rough just wait for evening.

Wish I was with you on this trip!!!

Drewski
Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM

x2 with blue and chrome, the last few years Fire Tiger has produced for me just as well .

Len's in 0 or 1 White + Something are my favorite but you can't go wrong with 5 of diamonds. Later in summer I prefer the biggest mepps Cyclops if I am throwing spoons.

The last few years I have been throwing big plugs 8" bomber style. one thing I do for spring/summer transition before the weeds are fully grown in is to run big plugs and I retrieve really fast. Since the water is still reasonably clear it can be hard to trigger and you end up getting lots of follows. But burn a big plug past their nose and you can work up some action. but you need something that stays down at speed.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys. My boat is to small to do those big runs (16 ssv and 25hp). Time to upgrade I guess.

Will keep an eye on the weather and fish hard.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Since you in the area and it's likely you will get blown off the lake a day or 2 bring trout gear and try fishing Shirley lake, it is a stocked lake but it can grow some hogs.

You drive past it on the way in

There is a launch at the town site (south bay) just in case you did not know
Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 PM

Dore is not DEAD!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:14 PM

My nabour goes every year. I have been thinking of going also .
Do you have any pictures .
Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 AM

Default Dore Lake

Just got back from Tower lodge, Val and Vi are amazing host.T Bay is 27 km's one way and the fish have moved out of that bay.Fishing was great for the first 2 days then it got slower,when we showed up the water was 48 degrees and when we left it was 60. I believe this week the fishing will be better.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Dore Lake Lodge Bay

Information much appreciated for fishing the Bay where Dore Lake Lodge is.
Heading that way in the end of June, Walleye and Pike info would be great and what are the preferred hooks used.
Thx..
Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM

You will smash them in home bay. No need to go anywhere else. 5 of diamonds is the ticket !!!!!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM

How is the road going into Tower lodge? How many km of gravel and what type of condition is the road?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2019, 10:45 PM

Road conditions change daily. Could get fairly greasy ol son. About 70km I’m guessing.