Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM

260 Rem You are asking Chuck to shut the barn door now that the horse is out. The damage is done his son was forced to draw a different picture for his dad then he wanted to for no good reason. You are on a hunting forum where we hunters should stick together in a situstion like this. The moment is gone for Chuck and his son try to understand that. Ryan was probably very proud of his planned drawing until that teacher crushed him. That moment will leave a bad taste in his mouth for teachers for some time.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Mocking freedoms that people have died for ... lost me there Chuck.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
260 Rem You are asking Chuck to shut the barn door now that the horse is out. The damage is done his son was forced to draw a different picture for his dad then he wanted to for no good reason. You are on a hunting forum where we hunters should stick together in a situstion like this. The moment is gone for Chuck and his son try to understand that. Ryan was probably very proud of his planned drawing until that teacher crushed him. That moment will leave a bad taste in his mouth for teachers for some time.
Sorry. I can't buy what you are selling. Pretty melodramatic. I am pretty sure that Chuck's son was not traumatized in the moment or in the years to come. It was a picture. It is definitely worth a call / meeting, but it was a picture. I spend my whole day telling kids what they can and can't do. That's a big part of the job. She made a stupid call if the story happened the way it has been relayed, and I have no reason to doubt Chuck.

Some have said it may have been wise to call the teacher before starting a thread. I think this is good advice. However, if she's an unreasonable whackjob, she needs to be held to account.

I have always been grateful for parents who have called me to talk before jumping to conclusions based solely on what little Johnny said happened in class.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Mocking freedoms that people have died for ... lost me there Chuck.
It’s seriously sad that you need this explained to you...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
It’s seriously sad that you need this explained to you...

I can only imagine what the veterans that fought and died for our country would think, if they could see what our country has become.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 AM

When our daughter was in grade 3 she had to draw a timeline of "firsts" in her life. In her timeline she drew a picture of a pink rifle (we bought her a pink .22)

I'm not gonna lie, I was hesitant about her handing this in to her teacher. I was worried for no reason. The teacher said if this was an important first for our daughter then it deserved to be on the assignment.

At one point I believe our daughter even took in some of her targets for show and tell.

I've pretty much have always had a good and open relationship with our daughters' teachers so that might have made the difference for us.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Here is a similar case, where the school went way beyond reason, in their reaction.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...gun-at-school/
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Here is a similar case, where the school went way beyond reason, in their reaction.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story...gun-at-school/
Mindless robots, both the teacher and the police. It's what happens when you only have policy to guide you and leave your common sense at the government.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Sns2 if the teacher is a whack job Chuck calling her would make no difference at all. My family ran a business that was attacked by whack jobs and you can not talk to these people we tried. All I was getting at about thepicture is that the picture Chucks son wanted to draw could not be drawnand it is to laye now for what he wanted. Also kids do remember some things like this and know one but Chucks son knows what he really thinks of that teacher now. The big picture here is that this story is that our society is at this point where a kid can not draw a picture of his dad doing some thing legal.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

We, (gun owners) are always accused of not fighting for our rights, there have been threads and polls about recently on this forum.
Chuck perhaps if you felt inclined too, could we be provided the school and school board info and all of us write a letter saying how offended we are as a minority group (there aren't many of us gun owners) that our chosen life style is being demonized by the teaching class.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post
When our daughter was in grade 3 she had to draw a timeline of "firsts" in her life. In her timeline she drew a picture of a pink rifle (we bought her a pink .22)

I'm not gonna lie, I was hesitant about her handing this in to her teacher. I was worried for no reason. The teacher said if this was an important first for our daughter then it deserved to be on the assignment.

At one point I believe our daughter even took in some of her targets for show and tell.

I've pretty much have always had a good and open relationship with our daughters' teachers so that might have made the difference for us.
Your daughter just had a normal teacher. There are no more quacks in education than their are in the trades. They are everywhere. And often they just have strong beliefs the same as people on this forum.

My advice for any misunderstanding in life is to listen and then speak. Simple.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Banned

Wow...all I remember is spending countless hours in elementary school (in the 60's) drawing pictures of airplanes dive bombing ships, tanks blowing up tanks and soldiers shooting the enemy.
And some were displayed in art class on the wall.
Times...they aren't changing for the better.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Sns2 if the teacher is a whack job Chuck calling her would make no difference at all. My family ran a business that was attacked by whack jobs and you can not talk to these people we tried. All I was getting at about thepicture is that the picture Chucks son wanted to draw could not be drawnand it is to laye now for what he wanted. Also kids do remember some things like this and know one but Chucks son knows what he really thinks of that teacher now. The big picture here is that this story is that our society is at this point where a kid can not draw a picture of his dad doing some thing legal.
The bigger picture is that in life you will always have people telling you what to do. They are called bosses. Unless you are the sole proprietor of your own business, then you have one.

Chuck's boy is navigating his difficulty. He did what good kids do, share with mom and dad. To rush in and lose your junk is to create what many people on this board call snowflakes.

I have already said there are whackjobs in schools. They are few and far between, generally elementary teachers are people who just love kids, but many people on this forum think schools are NDP social engineering labs which is also a huge, steaming, crock of feces. But people are free to believe there is a boogeyman in every building despite what gun loving, right wing teachers like Bessiedog and myself tell them about our decades of experience in schools. It is at the moment still a free country.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The bigger picture is that in life you will always have people telling you what to do. They are called bosses. Unless you are the sole proprietor of your own business, then you have one.

Chuck's boy is navigating his difficulty. He did what good kids do, share with mom and dad. To rush in and lose your junk is to create what many people on this board call snowflakes.

I have already said there are whackjobs in schools. They are few and far between, generally elementary teachers are people who just love kids, but many people on this forum think schools are NDP social engineering labs which is also a huge, steaming, crock of feces. But people are free to believe there is a boogeyman in every building despite what gun loving, right wing teachers like Bessiedog and myself tell them about our decades of experience in schools. It is at the moment still a free country.
Well said. Like so many discussions on AO of late, this one lacks balance and perspective by so many. Is what happened wrong, sure, does it need to be taken over the top and carried to the extremes into foil hat country, HELL NO. This is exactly what we claim to dislike about anti gun, anti hunter, climate change freaks and all the other fringe radical positions. Lets try not to fall into the same trap where we take a single or a few occurrences and extrapolate that into a Chicken Little Scenario. Lets also try to use the knowledge of those who work in the various areas every day. There are long toime members here who have no vested interest in lying to us or leading us astray. When they take valuable time to pass on great insider info lets treat it as insight rather than putting them in the un-trusted bracket too.

Still would like to hear the outcome of the meeting with the teacher and the principle.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-18-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 PM

I trust Chuck and his sons account.

I also know Chuck a bit and trust however he and his boy wish to handle this situation.

I think it’s important to post stuff like this. We have cultural rights too and people gotta be vigilant. I think also that we in the peanut gallery (myself included) must keep an even perspective keel here.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Draw one in at home, photocopy it and personally deliver it to the teacher.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My 9 year old son drew this picture in school for me for Father’s Day. He was told by his teacher that he was not allowed to add a gun to the picture. It’s quite a world we live in.

Just need to put in the " Rainbow Flag "
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Oh Oh... Chuck's on the sauce!

Big trouble in Pincher Creek. Chuck is into the sauce. His boy drew a bottle of mix that Dad is making him carry on their hunting trips!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM

BTW, that is an attempt at levity. I am pretty sure Chuck is not a drinker
Old 06-18-2019, 09:51 PM

Nope, I’m not. :-)

That is trail mix. It’s funny what kids notice you throw in your pack regularly. And I had to ask. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM

You could tell them you are Métis and that it is part of your lifestyle and demand an apology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 06-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Outcome???

So what happened?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM

I have a meeting next week

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I have a meeting next week
You busy or they stalling?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
You busy or they stalling?
I’m extremely busy.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I’m extremely busy.
Fair enough

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-22-2019, 12:03 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
May be a good time to arrange an interview with the teacher. Seems they get away with that kind of Crap all too often these days.
Had an incident with my kids at their school having to do with talking about hunting or shooting. Teacher told them they cannot talk about that kind of stuff in class. Once I found out I had a little chat and I snapped that **** in the ass. They are there to teach if they don’t like hearing what my kids do outside of learning in school then walk away and close your flap!! And if they would like to draw a picture of me holding a rifle they can damn well do it! Don’t let them get away with that kind of crap or it only gets worse if you don’t have a voice