Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2023, 08:49 PM

Default Duramax Tuning

2006 GMC LBZ Duramax. Seams tuning is popular but original un tuned is also popular?

I purchased my first one ,it had a straight through 5” exhaust.no tune b Sold that one and now have an original exhaust one. A lot quieter that’s for sure. I think I can feel the difference in power but man was that open exhaust one loud.

Thinking about tuning , don’t tow anything big ,looking more for fuel economy if it’s possible? Is it worth it?
Old 07-15-2023, 12:17 AM

Deleting it and advancing the timing will increase power and fuel economy as well as reliability. But advancing the timing can make cold starts harder.

Wheatland Auto in Strathmore had done tunes that I've heard good things about. Lincoln Diesel also has good tunes, but probably no deleting.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Deleting it and advancing the timing will increase power and fuel economy as well as reliability. But advancing the timing can make cold starts harder.

Wheatland Auto in Strathmore had done tunes that I've heard good things about. Lincoln Diesel also has good tunes, but probably no deleting.
It’s a 2006 LBZ - no delete required as DPF wasn’t a thing then. Those stupid things didn’t appear until the LMM.

OP - EFI Live. I have used CCS for tuning and know many more who have also. Excellent to deal with. You’ll want to make it breathe better with exhaust and intake as those are your easiest gains. You don’t have to go straight piped either. Mufflers are available in larger diameter piping. It will be louder than stock but not SP loud. I like SP but it isn’t for everyone. You can get a single tune in your ECM or multiples if you get a DSP switch.

For economy, I get 22.9mpg with a one ton dually 4x4 on a 700RWHP tune on the highway. My street and towing tunes will do a touch better than that yet, with my light tow touching and sometimes cresting 24mpg.

Last edited by Big Lou; 07-15-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 10:30 AM

I had a 2007 GMC Sierra (old body style) LBZ Duramax. I wanted the jake brake feature for towing and went with a tune, MBRP Down pipe and exhaust. Wished I’d never touched it because once I did, the truck just became a money pit. The turbo vanes started to stick, ended up putting a new turbo on. Then the truck would lose power and throw a code (due to low fuel rail pressure) so added an auxiliary fuel pump, but still had codes. Ended up selling the truck as it was just costing too much (new transmission, new triple billet torque converter, etc)…

For what it’s worth, leave it alone and drive it unless you’re prepared to start throwing money away.

Last edited by scesfiremedic; 07-15-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesfiremedic View Post
I had a 2007 GMC Sierra (old body style) LBZ Duramax. I wanted the jake brake feature for towing and went with a tune, MBRP Down pipe and exhaust. Wished I’d never touched it because once I did, the truck just became a money pit. The turbo vanes started to stick, ended up putting a new turbo on. Then the truck would lose power and throw a code (due to low fuel rail pressure) so added an auxiliary fuel pump, but still had codes. Ended up selling the truck as it was just costing too much (new transmission, new triple billet torque converter, etc)…

For what it’s worth, leave it alone and drive it unless you’re prepared to start throwing money away.
This is why Im asking,good stuff thanks.Ive been doing some research and watching prices of what sells.Seams original are priced about the same as tuned trucks but the original ones sell.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
It’s a 2006 LBZ - no delete required as DPF wasn’t a thing then. Those stupid things didn’t appear until the LMM.

OP - EFI Live. I have used CCS for tuning and know many more who have also. Excellent to deal with. You’ll want to make it breathe better with exhaust and intake as those are your easiest gains. You don’t have to go straight piped either. Mufflers are available in larger diameter piping. It will be louder than stock but not SP loud. I like SP but it isn’t for everyone. You can get a single tune in your ECM or multiples if you get a DSP switch.

For economy, I get 22.9mpg with a one ton dually 4x4 on a 700RWHP tune on the highway. My street and towing tunes will do a touch better than that yet, with my light tow touching and sometimes cresting 24mpg.
Having owned 6.0 gas jobs and getting around 18-20L/100km.Now with the the diesel its a big difference. 12-13L/100km and all that torque.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

LBZ had an EGR. That constricts the engine breathing.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
LBZ had an EGR. That constricts the engine breathing.
All models from 2004.5 onward have an EGR. But fair. I should have asked specifically which delete you were referring to in your post. I agree, it’s a necessary mod.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:33 PM

2011 Lml duramax. Before the delete I was averaging about 12.8l/100 kms.

After the delete, a cold air intake, custom side exit exhaust and 50 hp tune from EZ Lynk I’m averaging about 9.5l/100 kms.
Old 07-15-2023, 08:07 PM

I’ve never got tuning on any Duramax I owned but have a few buddies who have and they all swear by it. None of their trucks turned into money pits or at least anymore than they already were. An 80 hp tow tune won’t hurt anything if it’s from someone reputable.

Only reason I never tuned mine is I never saw a need. They tow phenomenally from factory and sure gaining 2-3 mpg is nice but seems like most fuel economy gains are all seen while running unloaded. 10,000 lbs hooked up they all get 11 mpg…