Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Default Telus Optik TV

Anyone have TELUS Optik TV and internet?
Thinking of switching from Shaw but not sure what they are like.

Experience with Telus TV good / bad ?

BH

Last edited by BloodHound70; 04-07-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:42 PM

Default Telus sucks.

Nothing but grief here.

Bad customer service.

Poor options for plans and packages.
Huge incentives to new cutomers but they feed it dry to the existing customers.

Optik works well though.

I am guessing Shaw is about the same. But Shaw is not currently an option for me.

Compare the prices and decide who's crappy service you want to put up with.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:48 PM

I'm with Telus Optik. The speeds for internet are fine for me. As for watching on what Telus has to offer for satellite tv I can't say much. I have a few channels and with the internet combined I have about a 150 dollar bill per month. Kinda steep.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Been with Telus Optik tv and internet for last 7 years.

No issues, no bandwidth problems, moved and they arranged everything.

We got new boxes couple months ago. Tech was great to deal with.

One thing with Telus is the initial part of your contract is cheap. But after that they will not seek you out to give you the best deals. But we found that being proactive with them and talking to their retention deiartment gets you much better deals. This seems to be the same with most big companies.

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. If you sit and grumble and do nothing you will never get anything but frustrated.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Been with Telus forever have 4K Optik TV, internet homeline, probably all the same for channels they're all junk mostly but as far as service they get back to you and are very helpful, sometimes you have to wait long on the phone but you can do most of it online if you're a new customer they usually have some good deals like free TVs or stuff I would recommend them never have trouble with my channels.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2018, 05:42 PM

Shaw is good Telus is BAD,
Had Shaw , switched to Telus for better rates.
Telus hooked up to existing telephone wiring in the house, any electrical noise was picked up by the phone wiring and the system would shut down, night after night. Telus was unable to fix this problem, had to switch back to Shaw, who uses coaxial cable.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:43 PM

I’ve been with pretty much all the company’s in the last 7 or 8 years. My favourite was Telus. Problem free.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 PM

Had optik. $150/month cable and internet, 3 boxes, no dvr, horrible service
Switched to eastlink 4months ago, $92 a month, cable and internet, dvr box +2 other boxes. Ability to change subscibed channels whenever you want within about 15min online (from a certain list) is an awesome feature.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Been with Telus forever, and have the optik and internet thru them, never have any issues, the only thing is price, but they are all the same, greedy that is.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Tells tv is worse than Shaw but their internet is way better at our place. They both seem to be nickel and dining rather than competing though.

I don’t like the TV guide portion of Telus tv either. It’s very annoying to have to see all the ad’s of this is now on channel X. You can turn off seeing the channels you don’t have but not that portion.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:30 PM

been wondering about switching to Telus off and on

I assume that its a lot like a Ford and Chev thing , everybody has their opinions .

But a question that I have re the actual workings of the TV system , that nobody from Telus can seem to answer is this ...

... when I select anything from the Shaw on demand menus , whether its free , or pay per veiw ( movie rentals ) , unlike having an actual DVD that I have full control of ( Forward , Rewind , pause , slow motion etc ) with full veiw of picture ...
Shaw system won't me do this ,

I can pause , and I see the picture , but if I forward or reverse , it jumps a minute at a time .

Really sucks when you just want to go back a little bit and watch something again .
You have to watch the last full minute all over again .

And God forbid that you want to go back and find something that was in the movie , but you cant exactly remember where ....Good Luck ...

But when I watch regular TV , I have full control of everything I want to do .

What's Telus like ????
Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Telus has been coming to my door trying to get me to switch. It’s only a little difference in price for the headache of switching everything. They claim their fiberoptic cable is way better but really have doubts of how much. I’m sure if I talked to a Shaw guy he would say Telus is crap.

Hard to believe what any of them say.

BH

Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 PM

Check if Telus has fibreoptic in your area. If not you can not make the switch.

I switched 2 years ago from Shaw. Better service and about $20/month cheaper.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
Check if Telus has fibreoptic in your area. If not you can not make the switch.

I switched 2 years ago from Shaw. Better service and about $20/month cheaper.
Yes my area does. That is why they have been knocking on doors around here.

BH

Old 04-08-2018, 04:25 PM

I have been with Shaw for over 20 years and have always been happy except for cost. My last bill was $171. for the month. Telus came door to door offering a lot cheaper. I surveyed neighbour and any with Telus were not happy. I called shaw and told them I was not happy with price. I got new Shaw Blue Sky with two PVR and my internet for $119.00 per month on a two year contract. Sometimes it is worth asking.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
I have been with Shaw for over 20 years and have always been happy except for cost. My last bill was $171. for the month. Telus came door to door offering a lot cheaper. I surveyed neighbour and any with Telus were not happy. I called shaw and told them I was not happy with price. I got new Shaw Blue Sky with two PVR and my internet for $119.00 per month on a two year contract. Sometimes it is worth asking.
Wow
Good to know. Thanks

BH

Old 04-08-2018, 06:20 PM

We switched to Telus from Bell about a year ago. Could not be happier, the stuff I can do now, amazing. Lots of on demand stuff, lots.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

My parents went on a year long trip across North America with the truck and 5th wheel. When they got back they called Shaw and Telus. Telus beat out the price by close to $50 a month for the same tier of package. It’s worth calling both to see what they can do for you.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Default optik

It's okay. That's about as far as I go with it, but then again I'm a bit of a cynic with all this stuff. We have had various satellite and different cable packages over the years. All have their pros and cons. As weird as it may be, my knock on the optik is no slow motion. I know, first world problem.
We've had it for a couple years now and it has been okay. We have not had any service issues yet and the channel selection as well as on demand and movie rentals has all been satisfactory for us. We trimmed down to the bare bones and saved a few bucks. when they tried to up sell us my wife negotiated and got what she wanted at what she thought was a fair price.
As was mentioned before, the chevy vs ford thing, same here. Try it, if you don't like it, try something else. At the end of the day you are just a number to them.

Geo