Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I already answered your question in your previous post, there is no need to repeat it.

sorry . I checked to see if the first one was sent and it indicated NO, so I sent it again.Crap happens I guess
Old 03-25-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
As is normal with the government, they would require a standardized test, by approved personnel, at approved locations, and setting it all up , renting the ranges , paying testing personnel, and processing the paperwork would be expesive, and accomplish nothing.
You are over thinking it. Not that difficult at all.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
You are over thinking it. Not that difficult at all.
I am being realistic, the government would require a standardized qualification, approved people to conduct the qualifications, and access to approved ranges to hold qualifications. And of course there would be paperwork to complete and process ,to provide proof of qualification, and records of each qualification. I have served on the executive of two ranges, and I have dealt with the cfos for range certification, and everything is standardized, and everything has to be approved. And every approval and standardization takes time and money, that is how government works.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I am being realistic, the government would require a standardized qualification, approved people to conduct the qualifications, and access to approved ranges to hold qualifications. And of course there would be paperwork to complete and process ,to provide proof of qualification, and records of each qualification. I have served on the executive of two ranges, and I have dealt with the cfos for range certification, and everything is standardized, and everything has to be approved. And every approval and standardization takes time and money, that is how government works.
Who said anything about a certified range ? Congrats on your involvement
but I dont beleive this program would necessitate a certified public range.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Who said anything about a certified range ? Congrats on your involvement
but I dont beleive this program would necessitate a certified public range.
In order to do a recognized government certification, it would have to be at a government approved facility. And nobody in their right mind would do certifications for the government, unless they were covered by liability insurance, try and find a company willing to cover this, if it wasn't conducted at an approved range.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:55 PM

In any level of sports some guys do it much better then others . Some guys practice shooting weekly yet there's another guy who shoot's 90 percent less yet that guy is a better shooter.

Focuses better, higher level of concentration , better eye to hand muscle memory ,better eye sight .When your heart rate barely moves and you don't hear the shot or feel any recoil then your dialed in mentally when shooting at a live target . WHO in hell is going to teach this in a short 2 week coarse ,no one .

You let the government in on skill levels you can bet a big portion aren't going hunting.

Bench shooting and field shooting are 2 different deals . Some guys shoot tiny bug holes and the same guy can't hit a barn door once the critter is in his sights.

Both take practice and confidence in your rifle ,having others teach you who are not close to you might make you feel nervous .

Best is to be taken out and mentored by some who is good or very good to build up confidence . Or you can be taken out by an idiot and if your half smart you ditch the dummy and restart.

Elk has the right way on taking younger hunters out, test them out and limit there shooting distance . Walking before you run ,same applies to everything in life .
Old 03-25-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
In any level of sports some guys do it much better then others . Some guys practice shooting weekly yet there's another guy who shoot's 90 percent less yet that guy is a better shooter.

Focuses better, higher level of concentration , better eye to hand muscle memory ,better eye sight .When your heart rate barely moves and you don't hear the shot or feel any recoil then your dialed in mentally when shooting at a live target . WHO in hell is going to teach this in a short 2 week coarse ,no one .

You let the government in on skill levels you can bet a big portion aren't going hunting.

Bench shooting and field shooting are 2 different deals . Some guys shoot tiny bug holes and the same guy can't hit a barn door once the critter is in his sights.

Both take practice and confidence in your rifle ,having others teach you who are not close to you might make you feel nervous .

Best is to be taken out and mentored by some who is good or very good to build up confidence . Or you can be taken out by an idiot and if your half smart you ditch the dummy and restart.

Elk has the right way on taking younger hunters out, test them out and limit there shooting distance . Walking before you run ,same applies to everything in life .
J

Last edited by Salavee; 03-25-2024 at 06:38 PM. Reason: ERASE
Old 03-25-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

Focuses better, higher level of concentration , better eye to hand muscle memory ,bett
er eye sight .When your heart rate barely moves and you don't hear the shot or feel any recoil then your dialed in mentally when shooting at a live target . WHO in hell is
going to teach this in a short 2 week coarse ,no one .
You let the government in on skill levels you can bet a
big portion aren't going hunting.
Bench shooting and field shooting are 2 different deals .
Some guys shoot tiny bug holes and the same guy can't
hit a barn door once the critter is in his sights.
Both take practice and confidence in your rifle ,having
others teach you who are not close to you might make you feel nervous .
Best is to be taken out and mentored by some who is good or very good to build up confidence . Or you can be
taken out by an idiot and if your half smart you ditch the
dummy and restart.
Elk has the right way on taking younger hunters out, test them out and limit there shooting distance . Walking
before you run ,same applies to everything in life .
Shooting ability is determined mostly by two things, natural ability and practise. A good friend shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards the first day that I took him out, and he shot 20/25, at skeet the first day. He has killed two deer and a moose with me with three shots, shooting from 100-200 yards. A friends son has killed three deer with three shots with me, at 100-200 yards. His father wanted him to try a 400 yard shot at a whitetail, after killing two mule deer that morning, but I convinced them not to shoot, and spoil a perfect morning with a miss, or a wounding shot, because the young man had never shot past 200 yards. Both of those two don't shot a lot, but they have natural ability, and they listen and stay calm.
Other people that I know, shoot far more often, but they don't have as much natural ability, and they don't shoot quite as well. I know some that are terrible with rifle and shotgun, as they have no natural ability, and practise hasn't helped them much at all. If those people had to qualify at shooting to hunt, they wouldn't be
hunting.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
After watching the hunting chanel for a bit,I say its time for the sponsors EG=Sako,Ruger,Savage,Weatherby,Nosler,Hornady,Fede ral,to make the hunters they sponsor profesional marksmen,as in hit certain targets at certain ranges to obtain and or keep the sponsor.They all claim to sell the best products,and most of the shows shooters are less then average to bad.3"-4" group is horrible and i have seen so many of them brag up this kinda accuracy.I think making the hunters applying for or keeping there sponsors should be certified marksmen.Wouldnt this be better for all hunters overvall and the name we all carry.Sorry if this is not written the best,kinda pee'd off and rattled at what i witnessed on a wild chanel program.
This post could have been called - I still watch cable tv

Youtube has roughly 8,000,000,000,000,000 hours of free low quality hunting content. AND you get to comment directly to the creator (content creator, not god) and give them your 2 cents on their marksmanship ability.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:45 PM

Default pointless

Youtube has roughly 8,000,000,000,000,000 hours of free low quality hunting content. AND you get to comment directly to the creator (content creator, not god) and give them your 2 cents on their

And your comment can be called pointless ? What does your comment have to do with sponsors and the hunters they sponsor,like I wrote previously,most of the replys are not related to the original post,just dribble and complaing lol
Old 03-28-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post

Youtube has roughly 8,000,000,000,000,000 hours of free low quality hunting content. AND you get to comment directly to the creator (content creator, not god) and give them your 2 cents on their

And your comment can be called pointless ? What does your comment have to do with sponsors and the hunters they sponsor,like I wrote previously,most of the replys are not related to the original post,just dribble and complaing lol
Oh you want a serious, thoughtful reply? OK.

Do you think it's possible on any level to get shooting sports vendors to work together to create and enforce a marksmanship quality standard for their sponsored tv personalities?
Just vote with your eyeballs and not watch their shows.
Or if you want to complain directly to the guy who's a poor shot, send him an email. These guys aren't that hard to find.

But seriously, just watch on youtube and you can complain directly to the content creator, who's usually the marksman in the video.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 PM

Default solid

Thank you for the straight up reply Pecan
Old 03-28-2024, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Shooting ability is determined mostly by two things, natural ability and practise. A good friend shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards the first day that I took him out, and he shot 20/25, at skeet the first day. He has killed two deer and a moose with me with three shots, shooting from 100-200 yards. A friends son has killed three deer with three shots with me, at 100-200 yards. His father wanted him to try a 400 yard shot at a whitetail, after killing two mule deer that morning, but I convinced them not to shoot, and spoil a perfect morning with a miss, or a wounding shot, because the young man had never shot past 200 yards. Both of those two don't shot a lot, but they have natural ability, and they listen and stay calm.
Other people that I know, shoot far more often, but they don't have as much natural ability, and they don't shoot quite as well. I know some that are terrible with rifle and shotgun, as they have no natural ability, and practise hasn't helped them much at all. If those people had to qualify at shooting to hunt, they wouldn't be
hunting.
100%
Just like so many other things we do. Different people have different natural abilities and practise hones those, but if you’re starting from 2 vastly different starting points, practise alone isn’t going to remove that gap.
My wife barely shoots, but I am impressed any time she does come to the range with me in her abilities to just pick up a gun (sometimes after years) and shoot as if she’s been doing it all the time.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:07 AM

Now people are advocating more government control over firearms activities?

How about we regulate all the stupid hunting and gun shows that tell people they can buy a scope that promises first hit at 1000yards with little to no experience shooting.
But that would cut into profits of specific companies who i no doubt are funded by the same people who are anti firearms.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:24 AM

delete
Old 03-29-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
hunting.
This right here .100 percent.